• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which vehicle should I use? Mine or Wife's?

Which vehicle should I use? Mine or Wife's?

• 2017 Ford Explorer AWD

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 2007 Tundra 2WD

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which vehicle would you use for towing\launching an AR190?

My truck: 2007 Toyota Tundra 2WD, 385HP, aftermarket limited slip diff, aftermarket 4.88 gear (tow capacity = 10,600Lbs) 110,000 miles

Wife's car: 2017 Ford Explorer Sport AWD, 365HP, stock (tow capacity = 5,000Lbs) 60,000 miles

20200717_155531.jpg20200717_155511.jpg

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand they will both tow the boat. My questions is if you had a choice (like I do) which vehicle would you use?

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks I'd go with the wife's whip but if you have kids like i do I'd go with the truck. I bet the boat looks great behind that Explorer

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks I'd go with the wife's whip but if you have kids like i do I'd go with the truck. I bet the boat looks great behind that Explorer
Oh it does. Both boat and Explorer are white\black. We don't have kids so we really don't have much to bring with us so either would suffice.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are very familiar with the ramp and know - for sure - that there is ZERO algae or other green growth on the ramp, and tractiion is reliably good, above or below the waterline, either will work.

Else, it is far better to have 4WD or AWD at the ramp. In some (rare) cases, having your sole drive axle on the wet and slimy part of the ramp can not only make pulling your boat out of the water more difficult, but it can cause you to lose your tow vehicle to Neptune's clutches.

Over the road, 2WD vs 4WD/AWD makes little, if any, difference. Here, the transmission's ability to handle the much higher workload and the tow vehicle's mass and its brakes' ability to safely stop the tow vehicle + boat + trailer package are the key considerations.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use the truck if you know the ramp. Use the Explorer if you don't. Either is plenty capable, and will tow the 190 just fine.

Honestly, don't ask us, ask you wife. She'll tell you which she likes best. Use that and ensure she has nothing but pleasant boating experiences from door to door!

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use the truck if you know the ramp. Use the Explorer if you don't. Either is plenty capable, and will tow the 190 just fine.

Honestly, don't ask us, ask you wife. She'll tell you which she likes best. Use that and ensure she has nothing but pleasant boating experiences from door to door!
This will be the 1st time for me to launch the boat and at a ramp I have never used.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use the truck. It has better tow capacity. It is your utility vehicle. It has a frame not unibody construction.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
AWD FTW

Like others have said.
Ramp conditions will give a RWD car havoc if unknown to you, steepness, algae.
I would use a FWD if AWD or 4X4.

My buddies buddy BWM took a swim and all he had was a ski.
While in some parts you have snow its overkill for daily driver as mentioned. Main disadvantage is extra weight.

I love my WRX and when I had A4. Nothing beats it off the line or in rain for me in SE.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use the Explorer, AWD is better. Once in a while I forget to put the expedition in 4WD and the Admiral will get it and pull it up after I get out and secure the boat. Tires spin on the slimy ramp concrete.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its hard to see but youll have to worry about drop off and where your rear tires won't be submerged. During low tide you'll have to go futher back and front could be on slime.

AWD will never fail front tires having tration.

Does wife not want you to drive her car?

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its hard to see but youll have to worry about drop off and where your rear tires won't be submerged. During low tide you'll have to go futher back and front could be on slime.

AWD will never fail front tires having tration.

Does wife not want you to drive her car?
Honestly, I just like my truck. I bought it brand new in 2007 and it's been payed off for years. I just love the power and the way it drives. Wife's car is great and she would rather me take hers but I just have this odd voice in my head saying "You have a truck, use that!"

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It depends on how comfortable you are I guess.
You will have to give a go in the truck and see how it goes.

Don't accelerate, put it low and let trucks torque move the tires to prevent wheel spin and lose traction. as someone above mentioned.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our closest ramp is narrow, slick and steep. I have the same explorer. Does great with our 195. We also have an F150 FX4 supercrew. I rather tow with the truck with the longer wheelbase. Plus the size makes it easier to see around the trailer but they both have 4 drive wheels and get the job done.

Attachments