• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

white crud on 10mm bolt ... what is it?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
All of the 10mm bolts that hold my plug cap/boots on the pluts had a white crud that seemed crumble off when I took them out to do a plug change. Is this some sort of locktite? It doesn't seem like it is needed.

WhiteCrudonBolt.jpg

Was this your first plug change? If so I would say it is a factory lock tite, or lubricant.

For me yes but the plugs were supposedly changed by the dealer I purchased from in TX Fall of 2012. I've not heard of anyone mention about re-adding the loctite/lubricant so I'll assume I don't need to do anything else.

It's most likely an anti-seize compound to prevent the plugs from seizing in the head. We have learned, the hard way, that the plugs can break off in the head due to rust caused by water remaining in the cooling system. I would coat the plug threads with anti-seize, NOT Locktite, before reinstalling

I believe it is some form of lock tite and very common to have it there on these boats. After changing plugs yearly for 3 years, I still have it visible. I just continually remove the bolts and reinstall.

Does it smell sweet?

If it did smell sweet, what would that indicate?

That it is Loctite 567 thread sealant which Yamaha uses other places on our boats.

I didn't think to smell it. No one has ever mentioned adding it to those bolts so I don't think I need to worry about it. I was just curious. Thanks for the comments.

Service manual page 5-36 has it as Loctite 572

I'm pretty sure it's on mine too. But I've never added any when reinstalling.

Back