• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who came from an 19'? AR195, SX190 etc.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going on year 4 with our 2017 AR195. It has been very enjoyable for cruising the intercoastals and island hoping here around Tampa Bay Florida. Still haven't really used it as a ski boat yet, but enjoy the tower for other reasons. I am considering a 24' Yamaha in the future. We often end up on the water with 8 passengers (4 of them being kids most of the time) and yes it is crowded but not too bad, still would like more space. I also feel that the 19' boat really gets tossed around when going through other boats wake or if I am in choppy water.

Is the handling of wake and chop that much better on a 24' boat?

Does the passenger capacity and space of the boat feel much bigger?

Fuel and maintenance, does it truly double when you go to the twin motors?

any other pros and cons of switching from an AR 195 to a AR240 or 242S? 27 foot is out of price range and 21 foot doesnt seem like enough of a step up to be worth changing boats.

I love the swim platform, especially with the kids and I also think my 7 year old is going to want to wakeboard and wakesurf, right now he loves to tube.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so no one owned a 19 or 21 foot yamaha before moving to their 24?

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I asked almost the same question and only got 1 response. I have had my 2018 sx190 for 2 years and hopefully I will have my sx240 next Thursday. I'll report back if I get it.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
IMHO, you'll have more space on the 24, but they are still light boats for their size and they don't have a very deep V, so they will still get tossed around more than other boat styles. The 24 would certainly be better than the 19 in chop and dirty wave conditions. From memory, Tampa Bay does get a little rough at times despite being somewhat protected from offshore winds.

From sitting in both at the boat show, the 240 feels vastly larger than the 190/195.

Looking at boat test data, you would not double fuel consumption, as you'd be going from a supercharged engine to a normally aspirared pair.

An AR240 weights about 3700 lbs dry (no fuel)
For comparison, a Boston Whaler Vantage 230 weights about 3900 lbs before engine!

If a different behavior is what you're looking for on the water, you won't see a huge improvement by just upping a few feet with the same basic hull design, there would be a small incremental improvement though. You'd almost have to trial both back to back to really appreciate any differences in ride quality. One thing I really like about the hull/bow design of the 2019 AR195 is we never get any spray. Can't say the same for many other boats, even some that cost double or triple!

Although we boat on the ocean, we are never really more than 2 miles from a shore. Anything more, and I would want a twin or something with a kicker for the safety of my family and peace of mind.

Your boat is still young. Now would be a good time to trade as any new boat will have a digital dash, very quickly anything analogue will quickly be recognized as "old".

... my 2 cents...

Last edited:

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To the 3 main questions. Yes, they handle chop way better. Yes, they feel much larger and a lot more roomy than the 19. Yes, the maintenance is twice as much. Went from an SX190 to our 242 Limited S two years ago and put more than twice as many hours on the 24 than the 19 just because it rides better and has more room (More likely to do longer trips). Doesn't fit in the garage is the only negative. When we figured out a 21 wouldn't fit either, we went as big as we could budget. Absolutely the best decision for us. Tampa/Gulf boater. Hope the input helps.

Last edited:

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fuel didn't double though. If i used 15-16 gallons on a trip from Hudson ramp to Anclote and back in the 19, the 24 uses about 17-18 while going faster.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a 19’ I/O. The SX210 rode so much better and had so much more room it was awesome. Still, 18 months later, I upgraded again to the 24’ Yamaha. It rides that much better still than the 19 and the 21’.

I’m extremely pleased with our current boat. I’m an inland lake boater though and have no experience with the gulf (beyond walking the beach on vacation).

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you

Chucksx190

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I traded in my 18 sx190 yesterday and picked up my 20 sx240. Put it in the water today to get it on my lift. Took it out for about 2 hours. The winds were 20mph plus and 3' plus waves. The boat did not get blown around like my 190 and the ride was much smoother. I was able to hit 49.6mph. On the 190 I would have never attempted anything over 20 to 25mph in that condition. The acceleration was much quicker and the computer said I averaged 2.4 mpg. I can't say for maintenance yet but if you diy should be around $100. I think if I drove this boat and the 190 I would have never purchased the 190 even though I loved my 190.