• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who has bought a Yamaha EX looking for real opinions

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So decided to buy another ski I don't need anything crazy this time just putting down the river no Bahamas run or anything for this one. I was kind of set on a Sea Doo GTI or a new Yamaha VX Cruiser but after looking at an EX I'm wondering if that wont work. The VX is much nicer but there is just a ton of left over inventory on the EX's that I can probably steal a new EX Deluxe with a trailer for under 8K which is about 2K less then a VX or GTI 130 not sure if the VX is really worth 2k more for what I'm looking for it to do just wanted to see what owners thought of them and if they wish they had just moved up.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For what it’s worth I would stay away from SeaDoo. They’re not crap at all but I think there are better engines out there. I just went on that Dangerous Water trip (800 miles) and Steve who has rode every ski under the sun is a Kawasaki man and swears by them. I always thought (have never owned one) but just thought they were junky, but they rode great and started up every time. I would suggest Yamaha or Kawasaki.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I don't have the miles under my belt Steve has I have taken my Kawasaki Ultra over 200 miles offshore to Abaco and have done many 200+ mile runs on it and it was a great ski as well the only reason it's not back on the list is it was my least favorite ski to drive it was kind of boring. I love the looks of the Sea Doo's just sold my 2012 GTI about 1.5 years ago it to went to the Bahamas no issues as well but did have a carbon seal failure at 25 hours which was disappointing over all the engine on the Seadoo GTI is solid but everything around it is suspect I agree and one of the reasons I will likely not return on that path. The Kawasaki's are very basic especially if not getting a supercharged model which makes them reliable as there is less to break how ever I have seen a lot of issues with the supercharged Kawasaki's now and would probably avoid them as well.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked very hard at a EX deluxe, but ended up going with a VX Cruiser HO 1.8. Hardly any less fuel economy, and a lot more potential than the TR-1. Looking at the units side by side, concerning the stability and rough water capability, it just seems like the EX is less equipped compared to the VX. It didn't help the case for the EX that myself and my wife are both tall. Sitting on the EX compared to the VX was no contest. The difference in price was $2600 going from the EX Deluxe to the VX Cruiser HO 1.8, and I considered it worth every penny.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a EX Deluxe a few weeks ago and will tell you compared to my 15 FZS it is very light and will not take rough water at all. 600 lbs with only a 13 gallon tank is light compared to the VX line up.

If you want a fun nimble light ski than it's a great ski and very fuel efficient.
It slides easy and has plenty of get up and go. If I just want to to tricks I prefer the EX. Just don't expect more than 50mph.
Its slender and the seat is more like a motorcycle than the wide seats on the rest of the line up.
If you go with an EX definitely get the deluxe, the ride system is a must.
There is no dry storage at all the front storage under the hood is small and useless. The glove box is huge and deep. I am going to seal it with a gasket to make it dry.
The under seat storage is small and again not dry.

2 up is fine but 3 up can't see it being comfortable

I am planning to buy the Riva Racing kit for it over the winter. Gives it a 56 to speed and shaves 3+ seconds of the 0 to 50 time.

Let me know if you want any more info

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a EX Deluxe a few weeks ago and will tell you compared to my 15 FZS it is very light and will not take rough water at all. 600 lbs with only a 13 gallon tank is light compared to the VX line up.

If you want a fun nimble light ski than it's a great ski and very fuel efficient.
It slides easy and has plenty of get up and go. If I just want to to tricks I prefer the EX. Just don't expect more than 50mph.
Its slender and the seat is more like a motorcycle than the wide seats on the rest of the line up.
If you go with an EX definitely get the deluxe, the ride system is a must.
There is no dry storage at all the front storage under the hood is small and useless. The glove box is huge and deep. I am going to seal it with a gasket to make it dry.
The under seat storage is small and again not dry.

2 up is fine but 3 up can't see it being comfortable

I am planning to buy the Riva Racing kit for it over the winter. Gives it a 56 to speed and shaves 3+ seconds of the 0 to 50 time.

Let me know if you want any more info
If you had to do it over again would you just spend the extra money for the vx?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you had to do it over again would you just spend the extra money for the vx?
Nope. Not one regret. The EX is mostly for my wife or if I go out with a friend. I can't just let a novice ride my FZS, they would get hurt easily.
I did my research and got exactly what I figured it would be.
I have driven a lot of different skis over the years and the EX is similar in handling as a older seedoo, but a lot more refined.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. Not one regret. The EX is mostly for my wife or if I go out with a friend. I can't just let a novice ride my FZS, they would get hurt easily.
I did my research and got exactly what I figured it would be.
I have driven a lot of different skis over the years and the EX is similar in handling as a older seedoo, but a lot more refined.
This is what I kind of figured. I'm in a similar spot as this would be a spare ski at some point. I sold my skis last year due to having new born they were not going to be used for a while. If I buy an EX now in two years I will buy my ski and this will be used as the spare for who ever else. I'm torn as I really am starting to like the idea of the VX HO with the 1.8l I think with just a few mods I can have 70 mph ski fairly cheaply but still thinking it through.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is going to be u popular, but why not check out the Spark? They're cheap, efficient, and fun. Spark owners all seem to love them. If it's just a play around on the lake thing. That's pretty much what Spark was built for.

The other option. Is pick up a used ski. A lightly used fx ho would be hard to beat.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either a VXR or a VX cruiser ho is over 11k. The VX line only has those two with 1.8l engine.
That's a big jump from a $8600 ski

I will say my wife wishes she has cruise assist. That is a plus in my book to have

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is going to be u popular, but why not check out the Spark? They're cheap, efficient, and fun. Spark owners all seem to love them. If it's just a play around on the lake thing. That's pretty much what Spark was built for.

The other option. Is pick up a used ski. A lightly used fx ho would be hard to beat.
I have ridden a spark, it wasn't anything I thought I should own. I am "tuning fork" for life.
and while they are cheap on the wallet, they look and feel cheap. 8 gallon tank.
They are what they are. A basic watercraft to get on the water.
At least the EX looks and feels like a proper waverunner.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either a VXR or a VX cruiser ho is over 11k. The VX line only has those two with 1.8l engine.

I will say my wife wishes she has cruise assist. That is a plus in my book to have
It would be close these guys have them listed for under 10K it says no extra freight but I'm sure their is still prep and of course taxes which are capped in SC at $500 even if I buy in NC so if there dealer prep is $500 I could be out the door at $11k but no trailer.

https://www.twincountybigrock.com/New-Inventory-2017-Yamaha-Personal-Watercraft-VX-Cruiser-HO-Twin-County-Motorsports-3410028?ref=list

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Big rock is where I got my EX from

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went on that Dangerous Water trip (800 miles) and Steve who has rode every ski under the sun is a Kawasaki man and swears by them.
The Kawasaki normally aspirated skis are good (15F, Ultra LX), but I personally would stay away from the supercharged models. Just reading greenhulk.net over the years and all the challenges people have had with the supercharged models, as well as my personal experience with a 250X I owned. Lots more to go wrong there. Dangerous Waters now uses the LX model--but I suspect they get them as part of a sponsorship, so of course Steve is going to swear by them.

Keep in mind that Kawasaki has only 5% market share now in the personal watercraft market. I don't think resale is an issue, though.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/438118/global-pwc-market-share/

Having personally rebuilt 10+ Kawasaki normally aspirated motors, they are well built. My biggest beef with Kawasaki is the number of cooling lines (3x as many as a Yamaha VX MR1), and that they use thin hoses for some of them. This tends to be a problem if a hose clamp is even slightly over tightened, tearing the hose eventually. I, and friends of mine have almost sunk several times due to a torn cooling line. It's my biggest fear when taking a Kawasaki on a long ride, and I just won't do it anymore.

I sold my last 15F a couple of months ago, but still have a 2006 12F that I rebuilt going on ten years ago and it's still running strong. It's my wife's ski and she won't let me sell it. Other than that, I'm 100% Yamaha now and plan to stay that way.

-Greg

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Kawasaki normally aspirated skis are good (15F, Ultra LX), but I personally would stay away from the supercharged models. Just reading greenhulk.net over the years and all the challenges people have had with the supercharged models, as well as my personal experience with a 250X I owned. Lots more to go wrong there. Dangerous Waters now uses the LX model--but I suspect they get them as part of a sponsorship, so of course Steve is going to swear by them.

Keep in mind that Kawasaki has only 5% market share now in the personal watercraft market. I don't think resale is an issue, though.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/438118/global-pwc-market-share/

Having personally rebuilt 10+ Kawasaki normally aspirated motors, they are well built. My biggest beef with Kawasaki is the number of cooling lines (3x as many as a Yamaha VX MR1), and that they use thin hoses for some of them. This tends to be a problem if a hose clamp is even slightly over tightened, tearing the hose eventually. I, and friends of mine have almost sunk several times due to a torn cooling line. It's my biggest fear when taking a Kawasaki on a long ride, and I just won't do it anymore.

I sold my last 15F a couple of months ago, but still have a 2006 12F that I rebuilt going on ten years ago and it's still running strong. It's my wife's ski and she won't let me sell it. Other than that, I'm 100% Yamaha now and plan to stay that way.

-Greg
Yeah Steve said the same thing, stay away from the supercharged and after owning a 06 RXP 215, I think I will too if I ever pull the trigger in the future. In the RXP, you had to change out the ceramic washers, and do so I think every 100 hours. Having the fastest ski is fun, but reliability is more fun.

I’ve never rode a Yamaha ski, but being a MR1 owner and never having a single issue (knock on wood) I think I’m fully a Yamaha guy.

The LX we rode was a comfortable ride though I will say. Heavy matching but I’m sure that helped make it a champ in chop.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I understand the price issue, but you still have your dealership fees for the ski and the cost of the trailer. I'm pretty sure at that price, you still have close to $1500 additional to close the deal unless you can get them to come down below MSRP on the price.

My wife Loves the cruise control and the no wake mode. The dealership I purchased mine from had the VX Cruiser HO 1.8 listed at $10,199, MSRP is $11,299. I checked out the level of service they provide going back the last three years, which was incredible. I walked in and didn't even try and bargain, I just said get me on this one by the end of the day. They charged me $299 for prep, $100 for freight, and $999 for the EZ-Loader trailer. OTD minus TTT was basically $11,600. With the $1100 off of MSRP to start, they also threw in 3 years of YES at no charge on top of the advertised 2 years. I didn't mind the prep and freight charges as I know the dealership doesn't get re-imbursed for the final assembly after uncrating.

For the extra 3K over the price of the standard price of EX Deluxe, I got the trailer, no wake mode, cruise control, the wireless security from the key fob, the 1.8L engine, 5 total years of YES, and the larger/more stable/more comfortable, vx platform. The only thing the FX platform has on this ski is more storage, trim, and the larger hull for a $2000 upcharge. As to being worried about the learning curve for guests riding with you on a spare ski, there is a valet mode that limits acceleration and caps speed at roughly 40 mph, which is great for beginners. It is enabled by a triple click of the fob.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only paid 10k otd with a tandom aluminum Triton trailer, taxes paid, lifetime tag on the trailer and 3 year ski registration. 5 years YES.

Money wasn't the issue for me. I had my wife choose and sit on everyone. She sat on a fx svho, down to a EX. It was all up to her I didn't persuade her one bit.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after much thought I went a different way. I had a deal worked out on a used 2016 Sea Doo Gti 155SE but apparently the deal was too good as the owner backed out they day before I was supposed to pick it up. I wound up going new I grabbed a 2018 Sea Doo GTI 130SE (10,499 Msrp) for $8500 including all fees and a four year warranty. Figured at that price my hit for going new won’t be too terrible Especially if I try to sell it in three years still under warranty.

E7835372-CAE2-495B-8A27-7E82E558E9BE.jpeg