• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why does Yamaha call it the 250-series?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To me it implies these boats are at least 25' in length when they are not. Is Yamaha just trying to play marketing games again with Scarab who actually makes a 25' boat?

Yamaha should have just called this the "all-new 240-series" seeing as it's 24'6" boat, just 6" longer than previous years.

It'a one thing to include the swim deck into the overall length of the boat but it's entirely another thing to market the boat with a moniker like 250-series. I've already seen people refer to these as 25' boats and they are not. I just don't get it why Yamaha has to play these stupid games.

What are your thoughts in this topic? Do you think they should have kept the 240-series namesake and maybe gone with something like "245" kind of like how they did with the 19' 192's going to 195's or do you think 250 is a suitable name?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wasn’t it just a 6” difference last time when they went from 23’ to 24’ as well? I think I remember that... but I’ve “remembered” incorrectly before. ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes 6" increase but still doesn't make sense to call it 250-something. Jist because they made lame model designation choices in the past doesn't mean you have to repeat if. Someone is going to screw themselves calling for insurance quotes and when they ask for boat length they say it’s a 25’ lol.

Edit - just checked and an AR230 was listed as 23' total length. The AR240 was listed as 24' total length. If anything it the outlier here it's the new boats jumping all the way into the 250-something name yet only growing by 6" which further drives home how how this is nothing but marketing nonsense.

Last edited:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My own opinion, FWIW: I'm perfectly fine with Yamaha referring to it as the 250-something series since it's a redesigned boat and 24'6" rounds up to 25'. Yamaha is hardly the first boat manufacturer to round up with their model numbering; it's been going on for decades.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the model numbers to be meaningful myself.

That being said, exactly what do the Ford F-150-250-350 numbers actually represent?

Nothing.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

That being said, exactly what do the Ford F-150-250-350 numbers actually represent?

Nothing.
They used to directly correlate to payload capacity but they've long since been totally arbitrary numbers, likely because they didn't want to keep changing the numbers as payloads increased.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Nothing.
A bit different than boat naming. Typically boats with a numerical model name tend to be that way because of size. Ford trucks list the F150 as a 1/2 ton, F250 as a 3/4 ton and F350+ as a 1 ton. The numerical numbers designate the class size of the truck, not the physical size of it unlike boats often do. Apples to oranges IMO.

Technically these Yamaha boats are more like 23'6" worth of hull. Only a few boat manufacturers include swim deck length. That would be like me saying I have a 24'6" boat including the swim deck even though it's listed as a 22'6" boat. I certainly don't go around saying I have a 24' or 25' boat lol.

To me it's just a bunch of confusing marketing and I think they do this to try and keep up with Scarab. If Yamaha started calling the 19' the 212 I think more people would get what I'm saying and realize how it seems kind of dumb.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My own opinion, FWIW: I'm perfectly fine with Yamaha referring to it as the 250-something series since it's a redesigned boat and 24'6" rounds up to 25'. Yamaha is hardly the first boat manufacturer to round up with their model numbering; it's been going on for decades.
Yamaha didn't reinvent the model naming of the 19' boats when they got a redesign so why jump an entire foot worth of jargon for a redesign? IMO it should have been called the 245 series and that would follow in suit with how the 19' boats evolved to their name.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't bother me, but I get the point.

i once argued that I passed a college course with a 59.6% when I needed a 60% to pass, and since the professor didn't put a decimal point on his syllabus he was either too bad at math to round up, or not specific enough to care. I lost that appeal and had to retake "The current state of business in the US", online, a second time. I got 110% the second time without much work.......Anywho, the rounding thing is the first thing that came to mind.

I used to think that Yamaha including the swim platform was "marketing trickery" however, someone, a long time ago, made note that they are only including whats inside the rub rail. Same as other brands. Still a 24'6" Yamaha is NOT the same size as a 24'6" sterndrive with a 24in platform bolted on the back.

Back to the point. The 250 series naming doesn't bother me. It's the same as someone mentioned above, the new "150 class" trucks all have numbers that are completely irrelevant. There's ton's of stuff with numbers that don't match capacities, lengths, or other sensical names.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yamaha didn't reinvent the model naming of the 19' boats when they got a redesign so why jump an entire foot worth of jargon for a redesign? IMO it should have been called the 245 series and that would follow in suit with how the 19' boats evolved to their name.
They’ve been consistent.

The ls2000 is 19.5’ that they marketed as 20’. Then they bolted an 18” swim platform on it and called it the AR210 or LX210 which they marketed as 21’ boats.

The xr1800 is 17’7” which they called an 18 foot boat

CF6143A5-5185-4D41-B726-652E7C1A4ACD.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
But they aren't being consistent if taking into account the recent boats over the years.

AR230 was 23'
AR240 was 24'
212X is 21'3"
AR195 is 19'5"
AR192 was 19'2"
Even the Yamaha 272 is 27'2"

So with that being said why all the sudden a shift in numerical model naming not having anything to do with the length now?? It doesn't make sense. Everything up to this point was inline with the boat length and that's what I'm trying to explain. While it may be fine with you guys it goes against the entire numerical model naming they've been doing for many years now. This one I'm chalking up as pure marketing.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
But they aren't being consistent if taking into account the recent boats over the years.

AR230 was 23'
AR240 was 24'
212X is 21'3"
AR195 is 19'5"
AR192 was 19'2"<—- 19’ is what the spec sheet says

Even the Yamaha 272 is 27'2"

So with that being said why all the sudden a shift in numerical model naming not having anything to do with the length now?? It doesn't make sense. Everything up to this point was inline with the boat length and that's what I'm trying to explain. While it may be fine with you guys it goes against the entire numerical model naming they've been doing for many years now. This one I'm chalking up as pure marketing.
IDK to me it looks like they are following the rounding rules we all learned in third grade. And using the first two numbers to denote that rounded length.

So it makes sense to me that a 24’6” boat has a xx25x designation

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They didn't round for the 190 or 195 though :D

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't think the 5 in 195 refers to the inches. It refers to the SVHO engine. 195, 255, and 275 boats all have SVHO engines in them. Both the 190 series and 195 series boats are 19'5" long.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Last edited:

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They didn't round for the 190 or 195 though :D
Yes they did, the 190 is 19’ 5” which is < 1/2 foot. If it was 19’6” which would be 19.5’ then they could correctly round up to 20’ can’t cant confuse 5” with .5’ they are different. But it’s all marketing.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first year the AR240 came out it was actually 23’6”. It went to 24’ in 2015 so they have been consistent.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be oversimplifying things, but if you already have a 240 and a 242, throwing in a 245 that does have some significant changes may throw people off. Maybe it was just easier to call it 250 to differentiate from the older models?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
personally i dont care what they call the boat. its yamaha's boat, they can call it or market it however they like. you either like the boat or you dont and if you like the boat and dont like the #'s they put on it then when you buy it peel the damn stickers off and call it whatever you want lol.