• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why is oil change so costly

shark669

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
My svho oil change is like $160
But to change my car oil its like $19 to $25
Can you help me understand this difference?

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Becuase they chagey that much and people pay it... That's the only reason.

Change the oil yourself and save $.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Uh it costs like $35-40. Do it yourself next time. Takes no time at all and easy to do.

Buy a oil extractor, get your oil change stuff from partszilla and you're set. Doesn't even need to be one of those fancy electronic ones. A simple manual extractor is all you need if you want to do it the most economical way possible.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Free market.

Cost is based on scarcity, not on underlying cost to deliver.

Places that will change you car oil within 10 miles of your home... Between 10 and 100±

Same for Yamaha boat oil change probably zero to 1.

No competition=price is arbitrarily set by dealer at price most profitable to him. Highest price most people will pay without going DIY.

Edit: darn phone auto correct.

Last edited:

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It's so the owner of the dealer can upgrade to his next yacht that much quicker.

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Most dealers charge based on their hourly labor rate which is normally in the 150-200/hr range and everything takes at least an hour ;)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's so the owner of the dealer can upgrade to his next yacht that much quicker.
Well... Why would he offer it cheaper if you don't have a choice?

This is the basis of an open market economy.

We reward people for offering services with our money.

If you don't like the price, don't play the game, but in the same situation I would expect you would also choose to price your services to the maximum profit possible.

It's not wrong, it's just what it costs if you want it.

The alternative is when big brother tells you what you can charge, so the service is just not offered, and then everybody loses.

Apologies: my answer assumes a negative connotation in your statement, but that could be wrong. What you stated is factually correct! Sorry if I went overboard... Being exposed to crappy gov policies to try to fight the market can destroy the system quick, so I'm a little sensitive on the topic.

Last edited:

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well... Why would he offer it cheaper if you don't have a choice?

This is the basis of an open market economy.

We reward people for offering services with our money.

If you don't like the price, don't play the game, but in the same situation I would expect you would also choose to price your services to the maximum profit possible.

It's not wrong, it's just what it costs if you want it.

The alternative is when big brother tells you what you can charge, so the service is just not offered, and then everybody loses.

Apologies: my answer assumes a negative connotation in your statement, but that could be wrong. What you stated is factually correct! Sorry if I went overboard... Being exposed to crappy gov policies to try to fight the market can destroy the system quick, so I'm a little sensitive on the topic.
I feel you went overboard. ;-)
I don't blame him for charging up the a$$. I'm sure I would do the same. This is a luxury item that none of us need. And indeed it's possible to do it yourself.
However when it's something like medication where people will die if they can't get it and there's only a single source for it, I feel it's not that clear cut.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. Free market implies willing reasonable choice. Gauging for appendectomy not cool!!!

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll do it for $150, but you gotta bring it to me.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uh it costs like $35-40. Do it yourself next time. Takes no time at all and easy to do.

Buy a oil extractor, get your oil change stuff from partszilla and you're set. Doesn't even need to be one of those fancy electronic ones. A simple manual extractor is all you need if you want to do it the most economical way possible.
I am so happy with my extractor that I am using to change the oil from my cars too :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't use mine for changing the oil in the truck. Much easier and faster to just crawl under it and remove the drain plug. Although using the extractor does allow for more beer drinking time so that's always a plus when changing the oil ;)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the truck yes the drain plug is easier ( although messier if you are me). However getting underneath a Prius and removing the fearing underneath is PITA.
My routine for been at 5,000 miles I extract and pour new oil. At 10,000 I take it to the dealership where the change the oil and filter for $49. Then at 15,000 extract and pour new oil and then at 20,000 at the dealer etc ...........

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the truck yes the drain plug is easier ( although messier if you are me). However getting underneath a Prius and removing the fearing underneath is PITA.
My routine for been at 5,000 miles I extract and pour new oil. At 10,000 I take it to the dealership where the change the oil and filter for $49. Then at 15,000 extract and pour new oil and then at 20,000 at the dealer etc ...........
Make sure they change lithium slurry every 50,000, many owners are not aware of this and run their EVs/hybrid's batteries (very expensive!) down way too quickly...

--
just kidding

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Profit margin.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat oil is also more expensive than the cheap crap the 20 dollar oil cha ge places use, and the whole play there is to upsell you on other services at that point. Come in for 20 dollar oil change, leave with a bill for (usually unnecessary) work like brake pads, rotors, etc. They probably wont even do the work anyways and will just charge for it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not to mention they get your boat dirty and likely won't clean it or treat it as well as you would.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh and I'll do it for $139.99 :D

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure they change lithium slurry every 50,000, many owners are not aware of this and run their EVs/hybrid's batteries (very expensive!) down way too quickly...

--
just kidding
Mine are lead acid LOL