• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will 5200 bond to Starboard?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Getting ready to cut my deck out over the fuel tank and plan on replacing the rotted wood with starboard and need to know if 5200 will bond to it.

coosa board and Six10 is the way to go the 5200 is not structural and neither is starboard....

Getting ready to cut my deck out over the fuel tank and plan on replacing the rotted wood with starboard and need to know if 5200 will bond to it.
Tried 5200 on starboard for a homemade wakebooster experiment- does not stick ..

I have used 5200 on Starboard and it holds it just fine - once it is cured - to the point where I can't pull it off with using debond and cutting through it.. I have multiple mounting boards around the boat for fuse blocks, hangers, fire extinguisher mount, battery mounts, etc.

I would not use it as structural unless the load is fully supported under it.

coosa board and Six10 is the way to go the 5200 is not structural and neither is starboard....
I have been following the repower job you have been working on, you do amazing work!!

What am trying to do is cut out the section of deck that is over the fuel tank because it is soft from water intrusion from a unsealed table mount. My thought was to cut the section out and remove all the soft wood and save the textured deck surface. I then wanted to bond the saved deck surface to a new piece of material, reinstall and bond the repaired section of deck to the old section.

Does that sound feasible?

I have been following the repower job you have been working on, you do amazing work!!

What am trying to do is cut out the section of deck that is over the fuel tank because it is soft from water intrusion from a unsealed table mount. My thought was to cut the section out and remove all the soft wood and save the textured deck surface. I then wanted to bond the saved deck surface to a new piece of material, reinstall and bond the repaired section of deck to the old section.

Does that sound feasible?
yep totally feasible. I also have to confess this is the first major structural work i have ever done on a boat (this is my first boat)... I did do a stint in the Experimental Aircraft Association back in the 70's building wooden airplanes.... Im not a boatwright either however, id start by removing the fuel tank access cover and removing the fuel tank so you can inspect the damage... i would not be afraid of using marine plywood either. I chose to use coosa because VERY strong and Very Light and i made a coosa plywood coosa composite because a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" coosa was $300 and I needed 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1" pieces to match the material that i was extending/relocating... so far am a big fan of WEST System products... you can either kerf the plywood joints or butt them.. you may want to add some cleats to hold the repair in place while the structural epoxy cures.. then bonding the deck back with the same epoxy and mixing some white filler epoxy to fill the kerf made by the cut or just use more structural epoxy if you aren't gonna see the repair... one more time Six10 is your friend here

I spent a little time thinking about what I was gonna and reuse and ended up reusing almost all the material that I cut out... I also put a radius fillet of structural epoxy at each joint inside and out where possible

26c8694b061d4e8ae0cb505b0c1f7aca860669dc-5.jpg26c8694b061d4e8ae0cb505b0c1f7aca860669dc-6.jpgattachment (29).jpgattachment (30).jpgattachment (31).jpgattachment (38).jpgattachment (43).jpgattachment (46).jpgattachment (47).jpgattachment (48).jpgattachment (51).jpgattachment (82).jpgattachment (87).jpg

Back