• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will a jet be an improvement over what I have?

JimTMich

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had a 1995 Sea Ray 175 with the 3.0LX for 15 year and it's ready for a new interior. Power is barely adequate, does 46 and 0-30 in about 10 sec. with a full load of people.

I'm concerned about not having trim in a jet boat and I do use that constantly to get max speed, or put the nose down when I'm about to cross some larger wake when I happen to have someone on board that might not like being bounced around.

How is the performance in a SX192 when it is fully loaded? I usually have at least 5 adults and teens if not 8 on board.

Thanks

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 95 regal 175 with the 3.0l before my 192, I can say the 192 is a better performer but if your carrying a full load most of the time you may want to consider a 210 or more.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not like 192s. They burn twice as much fuel as a twin engined model. If you want to entertain 8 adult sized people on a SX192 budget I would look for a used twin engined Yamaha. You will have more space and better performance.

JimTMich

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately my garage is 20' - 4". And my tow vehicle is a Honda Odyssey with 3500lb towing capacity. So I'm locked into a smaller boat.
I'm quite impressed with the room in the SX192 compared to my SeaRay 175.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately my garage is 20' - 4". And my tow vehicle is a Honda Odyssey with 3500lb towing capacity. So I'm locked into a smaller boat.
Some have had to build bigger garages - or in some cases buy new homes with bigger garages - to accommodate their boat. You can't let a little thing like the size of your home get in the way of your boating experience! That's crazy-talk! ;)

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The room is definitely impressive, I can tell you last weekend I had a full boat of adults. I was able to reach 40 to 45 mph but I don't find I want to go fast with that many people in the boat

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your looking at upgrading a 15 year old boat to a new one yes it will be an upgrade. I agree with most I would go to a 21ft boat but do understand the wanting it to fit in the garage. I still have a hurricane deck boat I/O and was concerned about the trim thing as well when switching. Really your trim on a jet boat is controlled by your throttle how much on or off throttle you are. Overall its been a non issue not having it in fact one less thing to think about when driving.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is the perfect reason to buy a 190, perhaps even a 192.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree go bigger. Storing a boat outside is no big deal. Mine has been stored outside for 7 years, and I wet slip it. Most people think it's a new boat. 8 adults in a 230 or 240 is no problem. I find the 190 seems much much smaller than my 230.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In that case, I think you will be quite pleased with 192. If you don't mind the gas bill and iffy range, and if you don't mind a noisy boat (coming from a SeaRay).
These boats are so well designed inside, it is impressive. Here is a little interior seating space comp - for added perspective:

upload_2016-4-12_15-48-21.png
upload_2016-4-12_15-48-44.png

JimTMich

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Home owners association does not permit trailers in the driveway.....

We usually go to a little inland lake for 2-6 hours and tube, knee board, water ski, swim, eat etc. we don't blast around at full speed much. I'm used to using 5-15 gallons of gas. Will 30 gallons cover me for this type of activity level?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the noise does not turn you off, a 192 is a winner. No worries about fuel of you can refuel at the end of the day. You would love it. I wouldn't worry about the handling but I would test ride one as these boats are different from your current one.

The new ARs with their forward sweeping tower are incredibly good looking boats, and the fit and finish is pretty impressive.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You need a 21' with 2 motors to be happy. However you can only store a 20', seems like a common problem. If only Yamaha could make 20' with twin TR-1's so they would fit in most garages! BRILLIANT!

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 98 sea ray 180 until last year when we bought the ar210 used. We were really looking for more room and storage that our sea ray just didn't have. So I won't jump on the bandwagon and say go bigger because the same could be said for a 21 to a 24. I used the trim a lot on the sea ray and was also worried about the jets lack of trim. I have found it to be a non issue, these boats just don't seem to nose up like an I/O at least not to the same extent. One thing i have noticed with my boat compared to the old one is I feel farther from the water which i am, but it gives me a feeling of being less connected to the water. No throwing my arm over and splashing some water. My recommendations would be to measure the height of your garage as these boats sit pretty high on the trailer and consider the tower. i store mine under a carport for the winter and it still was too tall, but 4 bolts and the tower comes off. And get some fins. On the gas issue. My 3.0 merc was a sipper compared to twin engines, but some of that gas usage could be attributed to us playing with the new boat, they are just fun to drive. I doubt you will regret getting a jet boat regardless of the size, but i haven't been in a 190 except at the dealership.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Home owners association does not permit trailers in the driveway.....

We usually go to a little inland lake for 2-6 hours and tube, knee board, water ski, swim, eat etc. we don't blast around at full speed much. I'm used to using 5-15 gallons of gas. Will 30 gallons cover me for this type of activity level?
I rarely have to refuel at the lake if I arrive with a full tank and our day is usually 6 hrs +. If I run a little low I just pump in a few gallons.

Everyone is different, but when I am enjoying recreation fuel efficiency is pretty low priority. If I was planning to join the gang going to Bimini I'm sure I'd feel different.

As for storage, I am anticipating signing a lease on a 10x20 storage unit for $100/month at a place out the back of my neighborhood and sticking the boat and all the lake toys in it. It's been hard to locate one that would let me store gasoline. At $1200/year It will take a lot of years to get to what it would cost to build another garage and I doubt I'll be in this house more than 7 more years. I'm looking forward to getting my boat out of the driveway.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
In that case, I think you will be quite pleased with 192. If you don't mind the gas bill and iffy range, and if you don't mind a noisy boat (coming from a SeaRay).
These boats are so well designed inside, it is impressive. Here is a little interior seating space comp - for added perspective:

View attachment 35612
View attachment 35613
Cool stuff here. I really think I'd rather my 192 be 1' wider rather than 2' longer. And if it were 1' wider it would have room for (2) TR-1 HO's and everyone can be happy! Someone should get right on that.

JimTMich

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, the dealer wants a signed contract with a down payment before we could schedule a trip to the lake for a 10 minute test drive..... 3 weeks from now. Then if it doesn't meet my expectations they will refund my deposit.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well, the dealer wants a signed contract with a down payment before we could schedule a trip to the lake for a 10 minute test drive..... 3 weeks from now. Then if it doesn't meet my expectations they will refund my deposit.
I'd being looking at another dealer, but that's me.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Cool stuff here. I really think I'd rather my 192 be 1' wider rather than 2' longer. And if it were 1' wider it would have room for (2) TR-1 HO's and everyone can be happy! Someone should get right on that.
Well they have 2 sales already, so they have to make it!

BakedZiti

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's normal, mine said same thing