• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will CA be banning gas powered boats ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure most have read about the Governor's Executive Action to ban new gas/diesel powered passenger vehicles in 2035. I did not realize it also included "off-road" vehicles including dirt bikes and ATV's,

I tried to find something about boats but couldn't find anything but I guess then it matters if a boat is considered an "off-road" vehicle. I'm not that interested in trying to dig up exact definitions.

I'm not sure what it would do for used boat values since the cost of gas would probably go up since there would be limited supply/demand of fuel and if reselling your "used" boat within CA would be legal ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas I would think it would apply to personal boats and watercraft as well. It is kind of a grey area. Boats are considered a Vehicle. Furthermore I see the word "New", it could increase the value of "Used" Vehicles by a good margin. Unless I misinterpreted something or missed something, It would only apply to "New Sales". Could create a hot market in Used, unless they can bring the TCO for a new electric vehicle as well as performance, range, etc. More toward the baseline.

Not sure if that is going to fly in California, without a multitude of extensions or another Governor over turning it. I doubt in most of our lifetimes, at least mine, we will see something like this take effect 100% across the board. Perhaps a bunch of caveat's etc. Don't want to get politics or other things involved here of course. I very much like the thought of electric vehicles or other creative types of energy. But, California can't even deal with their electric shortage now and rolling random blackouts and a lot of things are going for the worse there it seems lately.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This growing trend of using gubernatorial executive orders/directives/etc. to try to force massive, multibillion dollar economic restructuring is nothing but politicking. There is no way that the governor of California, Michigan, nor any other state has legal authority to force such wide-ranging change via unilateral diktat. Legislatures write laws following established processes. Executives can suggest them, but cannot write them. Other than virtue signalling, the only concrete result of this sort of posturing will be massive litigation that chews up a huge amount of resources with only one possible outcome.

Also, the tactic of setting the deadline out 15 or 30 years into the future transparently relieves the governor of any accountability for actions and results. Hmmm.

Please note I have made no comment about the merits of Governor Newsome's plan nor about his desired result. If he truly intends to enact real change in California with these sort of actions, he should engage the legislature to draft and pass law(s) that he can sign and the courts can uphold to drive this change with legal authority. Surely, California's legislature would pass Newsome's legislative efforts in this direction, no? His party has very comfortable supermajorities in both houses: 29 D vs 11 R in the state Senate, 61 D v 18 R v 1 Independent in the Assembly. Why, then, would he choose to use a clearly extra-legal EO when clearly legal legislation would be so easy to pass? Hmmm.

The politicians work for the voters. If we allow them to behave this way, we only have ourselves to blame.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Surely, California's legislature would pass Newsome's legislative efforts in this direction, no? His party has very comfortable supermajorities in both houses: 29 D vs 11 R in the state Senate, 61 D v 18 R v 1 Independent in the Assembly. Why, then, would he choose to use a clearly extra-legal EO when clearly legal legislation would be so easy to pass? Hmmm.
Very solid point.... Leaves a lot of unanswered questions as well as hypotheticals in my mind.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As a citizen and resident of CA I’m not concerned about this at all. 2035 is 15 years out and so far it only applies to new vehicles. As far as the impact on gas prices, if any, I doubt there will be any substantial increases at least not for several years after the order is effective, if ever. There will still be a lot of gas powered vehicles (on and off the road) in CA for years after 2035.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am sure when 2035 comes around there will be people who are trying to sell their 2021 Yamaha's Used, for MSRP. :D

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm sure most have read about the Governor's Executive Action to ban new gas/diesel powered passenger vehicles in 2035. I did not realize it also included "off-road" vehicles including dirt bikes and ATV's,

I tried to find something about boats but couldn't find anything but I guess then it matters if a boat is considered an "off-road" vehicle. I'm not that interested in trying to dig up exact definitions.

I'm not sure what it would do for used boat values since the cost of gas would probably go up since there would be limited supply/demand of fuel and if reselling your "used" boat within CA would be legal.
@Scottintexas ......ban boats in Ca. Not in your lifetime. Wait until the boat lobby gets ahold of poor Gavin that will make squatters, protesters and C19 look like a party!