• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will I be paying too much???

Ben West

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all. I am a 41 yo experience boater and I have been looking for a Yamaha 240 for a little while now. Unfortunately, there are only a few dealers in my area and I really don't want to buy a new boat. I have found a couple within about a 150 mile radius that I am interested in, but I have no idea what is considered a fair price in the used market for this boat. I need some advice... I have found 2 2010 SX240s. Both are in excellent physical condition. One does not have a wake tower (standard SX), but has a basically unused Bimini top and no cover. This boat has 50 hrs and the asking price is $36, 800. The second boat is also an SX, but has an aftermarket wake tower, cover and has 126 hours. Asking price for this one is $36, 700. Anything to be aware of? Are these asking prices fair? Of course, I will make an offer and hopefully not pay asking.

Ben West

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correction... The second boat (wake tower) is actually a 242 Limited S.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Ben West for reference... I paid $36 for a 2010 242 LS (w/tower) back in 2013 (200 hours). Mine also included many upgrades (stereo, etc.) You also want to be aware of the oil cooler failure problem in the 2010's. It's well documented in the forum. They typically fail around 100 hours. I would check that on the one with ~150 hours.

Ben West

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe Thanks for the input. I've pretty much decided that this is the type of boat that I want. The Problem here is availability. I'm definitely taking that into consideration when pricing boats. I don't really want to drive 500 miles to take a closer look at a unit. I've read a little about the oil cooler issue. Are there preventative measures that can be taken to avoid failure?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My opinion is that I would stay away from the 2010 240/242 series unless the oil coolers have been replaced or the seller is willing to discount a couple of thousand.

Beyond that if you plan boat in rough water the new hull on the 2015+ 240/242 is a better design as was the 2007 to 2009 230 hull. Unfortunately 2015 240/242 models have a potential issue with the timing chain that makes the 2016 a safer purchase.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some 2010 240s had oil cooler problems which caused them to leak. Yamaha doesn't sell replacement parts only whose coolers which cost around $700 each. If it doesn't have upgraded oil coolers I would either pass or get a bigger discount off of the final price. The prices you mentioned seem high too me by a few thousand dollars. For reference , i got my 2010 242 ls in 2012 for $36k with lots of extras.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce Central Arkansas
I am west of Hot Springs and have bought two Yamahas of state so I certainly understand.

Do you know about the 242 on highway 70 west of Hot Springs? She looks rough but is locally for sale.

Ben West

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am west of Hot Springs and have bought two Yamahas of state so I certainly understand.

Do you know about the 242 on highway 70 west of Hot Springs? She looks rough but is locally for sale.
I was over that way last weekend, but the boat fever has really picked up this weekend, so I wasn't really looking. The 242ls is in Texarkana and the 242sx is in Bryant at a dealership. I've seen the one in Bryant up close and it is in excellent condition. I think I can get both sellers down, but this oil cooler issue scares me a bit. Don't really want to drop the cheese on a new boat!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure if you know this but we (Arkansans) do not pay sales tax on private party used boat purchases but we do if a dealer is involved. I have purchased two Yamahas from other forum members. One from Maryland and one from Mississippi. Both boats had a well documented history online and I was very happy with both.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Probably priced a little high due to supply and demand. Lots of people wanting that size not willing spend 65k on a new one driving up prices of used ones. But they have to start selling in that price range (not just asking price but selling) for the true values to rise. Seems that used prices hold good/higher on the latest models as lots of people looking for used ones hoping to save thousands off cost of new one.

Steelerville

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in Florida with one for sale, asking 28,500.. if interested let me know. The boat is a 2010. Sx240. Last time I look had around 60hrs. And the oil cooler bolts. No issues, some people see a few post and think it's the norm, it's not. The boat is basically stock. I only upgraded the HU and interior speakers, and removed decals. Other than that stock red.