• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will this subwoofer fit here?

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I installed the Fusion HU, and my speakers are here, waiting on the LED rings. I bought the JBL MPS1000 and am just trying to find a decent place to put it. I took the template with me to the boat and held it in a bunch of spots. It doesn't fit too many places, due to the diameter, and the places it does fit then require 7" of depth behind them. I think I have 2 options. One would be on the rearward facing wall of the head compartment, but would require some vinyl work on the inside of the compartment to fit and look decent.
My other possible location is on the starboard side, under the throttles and cupholders, but I am concerned about the mounting depth.
Subwoofer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSOSE2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Possible location: http://www.boattest.com/images-gallery/photos/yamaha_sx240_14_throttles.jpg

Has anyone cut into this area and can maybe verify its empty and hopefully has the depth needed? I'd prefer to mount it here, in the white section under the throttles. I can space it out roughly 1.25" using plastic lumber, if it was a tight fit.
Thanks!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can remove the throttles and reach in to measure. Just remove the screws and the entire unit will lift out.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got a Wetsounds XS-10FA, under the throttles. It's mounting depth is 4.72 inches. Don't know if it'll accommodate 7 inches of mounting depth in this location. But to measure, just crawl in the compartment behind the captains chair and you should be able to look forward into that space up towards the throttles. You'll just have to remove one small carpeted panel that should have just one screw holding it in place.

IMG_7372.JPG

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just installed a 10" sub under the cup holders in the same area. It had close to a 7" depth requirement and cleared it by 2" or more inches. I estimated where I would need the most depth, drilled a small hole there and measured the depth with an uncooked spaghetti noodle. I considered locating the sub under the throttles but didn't want to deal with the throttle cables which are in the area. You can get to either end of that compartment by removing the thin wood and carpeted divider for that end, two or three screws max but it is "easier" to access the front end through the helm compartment than the rear end through the compartment under the rear starboard cockpit seat.
image.jpg image.jpg

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks so much guys, that's exactly the info I was looking for! Looks like I'll be doing some cutting soon!

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
more importantly gents..........how does it sound in that location?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think mine sounds good. The driver gets the clearest and loudest sound and rightly so.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might be a good spot to put some dynamat on the inside hull behind the sub to absorb reflections. Cam.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Not sure that damping material is a concern on a hull surface one foot behind the cone of a subwoofer that only produces wave forms of nine feet and longer. However, any means of damping or adding rigidity to the actual subwoofer mounting baffle is very effective and worth the effort.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure that damping material is a concern on a hull surface one foot behind the cone of a subwoofer that only produces wave forms of nine feet and longer. However, any means of damping or adding rigidity to the actual subwoofer mounting baffle is very effective and worth the effort.
If I understand you correctly, adding a layer or two of glass cloth/resin to the inside of the wall into which the sub is mounted is the ticket?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The IB sub is likely going to create resonance between the parallel fiberglass boat walls. Anything to dampen/reinforce them should be a help. Although it is a boat and SQ is out the window for the most part. The parallel surface behind the sub will reflect back into the sub but you are right that the waveform will match phase with anything. It is a good mounting location. I never considered that spot, always looked at cavities to build a box in. Cam.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I understand you correctly, adding a layer or two of glass cloth/resin to the inside of the wall into which the sub is mounted is the ticket?
If you want to stiffen the subwoofer mount in the sidewall/below the throttles location, I suggest you use this: http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16730&cat=297&page=1
It is a two piece mounting ring - just like the one @txav8r has used in his sub installs, but cut in half so it can be installed by reaching through from the front.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
That would be a very messy job using those type materials in a space with limited access. Hard to strip and prep the existing glass for adherence. Hard to pressure roll the glass mat down and get the air out. At lot of work and prep to contain the resin.
The approach used by the guys at Earmark Marine is to insert and install a thick baffle ring or plate behind the fiberglass coaming wall in order to add rigidity. If the wall is 1/2" thick fiberglass, it's probably not necessary. At 5/16" or less I would say it's mandatory.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And all of our walls are more like 1/4" thick! So sandwiching the wall and actually mounting the woofer to the speaker ring takes the stress off the wall altogether.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got one of those birch rings from Earmark behind mine - in the above picture - as well. SOLID!!!! And it sounds pretty damn good too! Not like an enclosed sub but man it's got some kick to it!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have had both IB and enclosed with full exposure, the only place I can tell any difference is at the top of the gain...and the sub holds together and gets sharper as you increase vs a little distortion where there isn't enough back pressure to force that tight of a movement in the woofer with an IB. Honestly, as much as it took to get it done, I think a JL IB 10" is a perfect partner to the boats we own. I wonder what it would do in the bus! Clara would kill me.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Appreciate all the thorough responses. The sub I'm using is the powered JBL 10" MPS1000. It is the shape of a typical subwoofer, but with an enclosure and 250 watt RMS amplifier built in. I'm not expecting concert quality sound from it, but it is a bit bulky for it size and I'm looking to install is in the spot where it uses the least space or makes use of the most useless, otherwise, space. I think under the throttles is perfect. If my mounting depth is a problem, or even if the fiberglass is thin in there, I will make my own mounting ring out of plastic, to bring it out a bit. I'm kinda hoping that's not necessary, but If its needed, I'll do it. I measured the actual speaker depth and its closer to 8", plus the wire harness comes directly out of the rear of the unit. I'll snap some pics of it, once installed. I've also installed a nice switch panel at the helm, which required some clean cutting of the dash and a trim bezel. I think it came out great. Yamaha sure didn't give us much space to add switches for accessories.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have 2 JL IB Subs in my 212X. I always thought they sounded really good until about a week ago. I was listening to some DMX, messing with my radio settings and came across this one setting...I think it was MX or something like that, Ill have to check. I turned it on and HOLY SH*T, the sound that came out of those subs was UNREAL. I NEVER expected those 2 subs to sound and hit the way they do. After tuning the EQ a little with his setting on my HU turned on, my subs ROCK like I never would have thought. Like water rippling, everybody turning there heads like WTF does that guy have in that boat look.