• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Will Yamaha make the boats faster over the coming years? Thoughts?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the best outboards were and still are the yamis and suzukis
I think we would all agree on that.

Sadly though, there is really no comparison of yami outboards vs our inboard JET engines. Which is not entirely surprising given a big outboard Yamaha motor costs more than a "flagship" Yamaha jet boat, lol. Go figure, those outboard are about 10 times quieter delivering twice the power.

Yamaha doesn't give a $hit about that, yet, given the perception of jet boats as lake toys (which at least for now is on point).

--

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speed is fun. I rarely take advantage of it, but it's cool knowing it's there! Like many others have said, I am rarely WOT. And when I am, I'm not there very long. Too many people complaining, too many towels getting sucked out, and too many drinks sloshing around. It seems like most boats are just geared or pitched to not run above 50-60 at max. Even the big v8 boats have similar top speeds as us jet boats. But I'm sure if you changed the gearing or prop pitch you'd be able to hit some faster speeds with no problem. I'm personally okay with my ~45ish max speed (haven't had the boat long enough to find its true max). If you want some serious go-fast, get a souped up waverunner! Just give me a boat full of my favies and some hidden no-wake coves and I'm set!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know a lot of people love Yamaha outboards but if I had a boat with an outboard I would be taking a good hard look at the Evinrude Etec G2's. They seemed to have resurrected and fixed the 2-stroke engine. No smoking oil to make the greenies mad. No oil changes. The torque and fuel economy is very impressive. I also like how the Evinrude Etec motors make for a super clean install due to a lack of exposed steering crap you see on traditional outboards as they cleverly integrated the steering inside the unit.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know a lot of people love Yamaha outboards but if I had a boat with an outboard I would be taking a good hard look at the Evinrude Etec G2's. They seemed to have resurrected and fixed the 2-stroke engine. No smoking oil to make the greenies mad. No oil changes. The torque and fuel economy is very impressive. I also like how the Evinrude Etec motors make for a super clean install due to a lack of exposed steering crap you see on traditional outboards as they cleverly integrated the steering inside the unit.
Yeah, right... In places where I boat - the channel bed is decorated with props (and an entire lower unit, or two) of my past outboards, lol. In more places than I wish to remember, come to think of it.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, right... In places where I boat - the channel bed is decorated with props (and an entire lower unit, or two) of my past outboards, lol. In more places than I wish to remember, come to think of it.

--
Dang they got bad quality or something? I was just impressed by the motor tech itself and hoping for a two stroke return. Shame if they have bad quality or are you saying you boat in shallow water? I've seen the mud pics and vid lol so I wouldn't doubt if people lost a lower lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang they got bad quality or something? I was just impressed by the motor tech itself and hoping for a two stroke return. Shame if they have bad quality or are you saying you boat in shallow water? I've seen the mud pics and vid lol so I wouldn't doubt if people lost a lower lol.
No, those new rudes ARE awesome. But I now have a jet boat after loosing my shit for many years - boating in a shallow-ish, tricky river. :D

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sucks for those guys and you losing your stuff. Can they not dredge the channels?

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know a lot of people love Yamaha
outboards but if I had a boat with an outboard I would be taking a good hard look at the Evinrude Etec G2's. They seemed to have resurrected and fixed the 2-stroke engine. No smoking oil to make the greenies mad. No oil changes. The torque and fuel economy is very impressive. I also like how the Evinrude Etec motors make for a super clean install due to a lack of exposed steering crap you see on traditional outboards as they cleverly integrated the steering inside the unit.
I put a etec on my center console to replace a 2 stroke Johnson 150. Way quieter. The selling point for me was the weight. Same size 4 stroke was 200#s heavier and with my rear scuppers under water with 2 guys fishing off the stern that was a no go. And it has way more torq than old Johnson.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Suzuki outboards are super nice. The new G2's look impressive. I have been watching and they look very appealing. You just need to keep the extra oil on board also if doing extended outings to the outer islands. I will see how they are in going after 4-5 years and a few thousands hours. That is where the test is really done in saltwater use and if I will repower or puchase the G2's

Top Bottom