• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

wilmingtn NC. what/where to boat?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm burning up a week at Wilmington NC March 17-25 with boat in tow. what little I know of the area I was considering launching at Dram Tree park and boating alot of the cape fear. I see another launch on the ICW near the bridge(wrightsville beach boating access) I may try for that area.

Anyone know how the run is from the waterfront to the ICW via snow's cut? what the water/current conditions are near Zekes island reserve or the entire Fort Caswell are is ? north of snows cut up the ICW wake free zones or decent boating ? I looked into docking at port city marina.. $$$$ I'll prob pull her each day instead of letting her soak.

overall the area doesn't really seem that big? I'm not a fisherman, I don't really see a reason to head out to sea.

looking for ideas and locations to boat...
Thanks in advance
-Eric

tagging : @Julian @JROD @Fourjets @Charlotte

Last edited:

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I'm burning up a week at Wilmington NC March 17-25 with boat in tow. what little I know of the area I was considering launching at Dram Tree park and boating alot of the cape fear. I see another launch on the ICW near the bridge(wrightsville beach boating access) I may try for that area.

Anyone know how the run is from the waterfront to the ICW via snow's cut? what the water/current conditions are near Zekes island reserve or the entire Fort Caswell are is ? north of snows cut up the ICW wake free zones or decent boating ? I looked into docking at port city marina.. $$$$ I'll prob pull her each day instead of letting her soak.

overall the area doesn't really seem that big? I'm not a fisherman, I don't really see a reason to head out to sea.

Thanks in advance
-Eric

tagging : @Julian @JROD @Fourjets @Charlotte
Area is awesome for jet skiing and boating with lots to see and do. Wilmington water front has public dock, but be mindful of very strong current, lots of very good restaurants and a don't miss touring the battleship NC right across river front. There are many options from quiet amazon like cruise up the Cape Fear to lock#1 or thru Snow cut to Wrightsville beach or south towards Fort Fisher, Southport, Bald Head Island and my summer hang out Oak Island. And if U really froggy a day trip down ICW to north Myrtle Beach . Hopefully we'll have good weather and I may show U around on my water scooter. Only thing U have to be cautious heading south towards Southport is the Army's Sunny Point terminal, stay to left or at most center channel or U'll meet some very dedicated guys on fast gun boats. ;-)

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I agree with JROD above,
. (If this is your first visit to the coast) Remember to follow all channel markers, stay aware of the tides as well. Look for shifts in water color on the icw. Lighter color blue(s)or tan may mean shallower water below. Darker tends to be deeper...standard navigation stuff. Be aware of the flip flop of channel marker colors when on the river vs the icww.
If Jrod was offering to show u around then I would I would certainly take him up on it. He has a tremendous knowledge of our local waters and waterways. And beyond...lol.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the weather. It can change quickly, and may not be accurately forecasted for any given time periods...lol... keep an eye on the skies... I would avoid traveling north or south on the river if there are moderates to strong winds in the forecast. The river can blow up fast, especially if the wind and river currents are traveling in the opposite direction. Not trying to scare you off, or confuse you. just be aware of all surroundings.

Enjoy your visit to the coast. Cheers

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@justason as the others have said, great boating waters in an around Wrightsville Beach. The public ramp at Wrightsville Beach can be crazy on weekend primetimes, but is a great facility to consider putting in at. The are boat-up restaurants with free slips at Blue Water and Dockside. The Blockade Runner Hotel and the city of Wrightsville have some temporary slips you can tie-up on and walk into the center of the island, where there are some restaurants within 1/4 mile by foot (my fav Tower7).

Green and Nixon’s channels (7 miles north of Wrightsville Beach) will take you to beachable areas of Figure8 and Lea-Hutaff Islands. There is a seasonal restaurant called Sailfish that is located in the Scotts Hill Marina (aka Marshcreek), I believe it is opening again on 3/28 ... worth checking out if you decide to come north a bit. There is a gas facility at Scotts Hill/Marshcreek Marina that is open year-round.

Send me a PM if you want some more local ideas for your trip to Wilmington. My home waters, but a I am not as adventurous as @Fourjets or @JROD, who it sounds have done the trip to Southport or up the Capefear river to downtown Wilmington.

Not sure if you have an Active Captain account or use the app, but there is a lot of shoaling areas on the ICW and as @Fourjets has indicated the GPS-provided ICW center-channel is unfortunately not able to be trusted as you pass by some of our inlets at low tide. Your eyes and if possible use of Active Captain to see areas of risk if you are traveling a dead-low tides.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
thanks all. I've never beena beach person, but my daughter went to UNCW this school year and we've been gong down a fair amount. we enjoy the waterfront primarily (across from battleship) we ended up buying an investment property behind the campus. My brother is coming down from NH to help me refurbish it. I'll entertain him on a few boat rides.

I am debating between the jetboat or the pontoon........i think JETASON will win out due to her sexiness and my daughter has more experience with her.

@JROD: didnt know there was a loch !!!!!!!!! thanks

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Fourjets @llmmct thank you for the replies. I hear about the shouls down there and hit a few in the new Bern area before....I may keep this one closer to the waterfront and snows cut area.....I've tailgated a captain beofre to get thru unknown territory.....works well

edit: i think i misunderstood "active captain".....I got ya now.....thanks

Last edited:

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
thanks all. I've never beena beach person, but my daughter went to UNCW this school year and we've been gong down a fair amount. we enjoy the waterfront primarily (across from battleship) we ended up buying an investment property behind the campus. My brother is coming down from NH to help me refurbish it. I'll entertain him on a few boat rides.

I am debating between the jetboat or the pontoon........i think JETASON will win out due to her sexiness and my daughter has more experience with her.

@JROD: didnt know there was a loch !!!!!!!!! thanks
I recommend the Jet boat if you are going to boat away from the Wilmington water front, lots of water mileage to cover up and down river and to some of those near areas all have mentioned. BTW inlets around all these areas are constantly changing and some are kept up and dredged too often so if U decide to go out into ocean be extremely cautious, observe local traffic and ideally follow some one in & out. I ride my ski around these islands and on the ocean all the time and seen plenty of expensive go fast multiple motors boats stuck in sand bars. BTW Cape Fear river is about 200 miles long, has 3 locks, but mostly navigable from Fayetteville out to Wilmington and then down to inlet between Bald Head Island and Cashwell beach/OKI. I have done parts of it on my jet ski because lock#2 was under reconstruction for a few years. Would like to find some riding Buds to do the whole river from Fayetteville to OKI sometime this summer. I been out there hurricane riding, but is good to remember that they don't call it the Cape Fear for nothing specially south of Snow's cut channel where it becomes wide big water all the way out to ocean and any type of wind against the current can create a significant emotional event for calm water Cpts. Lol.. For me is air time! Lol... I greatly recommend a day trip to Bald Head Island, one of a kind place on the NC coast. Can only get there by boat, or Ferry, nice restaurant, marina, very old light house and historical museum, awesome beaches, but no cars except emergency services allowed on island so best to rent bikes or golf carts to tour island. Down town Southport is also worth the trip down river, very old historical town, good restaurants, shops, many very old historical houses, a small museum and old military garrison fort. And Fort Cashwell which also merits a tour if U into Mil history across bridge to OKI. Also, right across river from Southport heading north east is Carolina beach & Fort Fisher area, dating back to Civil War and the aquarium which is also a nice day trip. Wrightsville beach and figure 8 island arei OK, but not my cup of tea. Too darn crowded in summer and at times too many people with large fast boats and little sense. Lol.. If U really want to do long easy cruise, trailer to Southport and head down south ICW to Barefoot Landing in north Myrtle beach, lots of outlet stores for your ladies to spend Ur $$$ and some awesome eateries. Youll see all the NC islands, OKI, Holden Beach, Sunset Beach as U pass in to Little River, SC & down to north Myrtle beach. I used to make this day trip several times a year on my old 21ft Hurricane prop boat, but those outlet shops started to make a big dent on my wallet until I came up with the bright idea of taking her on my jet ski without the Bimini cargo rack. Trust me, big savings measure! LOL...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I recommend the Jet boat if you are going to boat away from the Wilmington water front, lots of water mileage to cover up and down river and to some of those near areas all have mentioned. BTW inlets around all these areas are constantly changing and some are kept up and dredged too often so if U decide to go out into ocean be extremely cautious, observe local traffic and ideally follow some one in & out. I ride my ski around these islands and on the ocean all the time and seen plenty of expensive go fast multiple motors boats stuck in sand bars. BTW Cape Fear river is about 200 miles long, has 3 locks, but mostly navigable from Fayetteville out to Wilmington and then down to inlet between Bald Head Island and Cashwell beach/OKI. I have done parts of it on my jet ski because lock#2 was under reconstruction for a few years. Would like to find some riding Buds to do the whole river from Fayetteville to OKI sometime this summer. I been out there hurricane riding, but is good to remember that they don't call it the Cape Fear for nothing specially south of Snow's cut channel where it becomes wide big water all the way out to ocean and any type of wind against the current can create a significant emotional event for calm water Cpts. Lol.. For me is air time! Lol... I greatly recommend a day trip to Bald Head Island, one of a kind place on the NC coast. Can only get there by boat, or Ferry, nice restaurant, marina, very old light house and historical museum, awesome beaches, but no cars except emergency services allowed on island so best to rent bikes or golf carts to tour island. Down town Southport is also worth the trip down river, very old historical town, good restaurants, shops, many very old historical houses, a small museum and old military garrison fort. And Fort Cashwell which also merits a tour if U into Mil history across bridge to OKI. Also, right across river from Southport heading north east is Carolina beach & Fort Fisher area, dating back to Civil War and the aquarium which is also a nice day trip. Wrightsville beach and figure 8 island arei OK, but not my cup of tea. Too darn crowded in summer and at times too many people with large fast boats and little sense. Lol.. If U really want to do long easy cruise, trailer to Southport and head down south ICW to Barefoot Landing in north Myrtle beach, lots of outlet stores for your ladies to spend Ur $$$ and some awesome eateries. Youll see all the NC islands, OKI, Holden Beach, Sunset Beach as U pass in to Little River, SC & down to north Myrtle beach. I used to make this day trip several times a year on my old 21ft Hurricane prop boat, but those outlet shops started to make a big dent on my wallet until I came up with the bright idea of taking her on my jet ski without the Bimini cargo rack. Trust me, big savings measure! LOL...
me on a bike....thats funny...

sadly this trip is primarily a working trip....my brother is getting about a foot of snow today so I want to show him "the greener side" and entertain by boating him in March...we will be returning for bigger boating trips thru the summer i'm sure.

We were considering selling our waverunner this summer until I found this: https://www.pwctrailfinder.com/ so i'm thinking maybe 1 more year with her...and this river run sounds amazing !

much appreciate your information and will use it !
thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
How long of a ride is it from south port to myrtle?
Depends on boat traffic and speed of boat or ski. I done it in a little over hour wide open at every opportunity on ski, and about 2-2.5 hrs on boat.