• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winter Storage cover?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious how the shipping cover will hold up if I use it for winter storage. I usually get my boat shrink wrapped but the dealer wants way too much and my usual guy hasn't returned 3 calls so I'm thinking of just using the shipping cover. I will add more straps as I have the strapping cord for shrink wrapping and also another 2x4 support pole in the middle of the boat right behind the windshield. I'm also thinking of replacing the factory poles with 2x4's for more strength for snow support. Also have the desiccants to hang inside the boat for moisture. I'm sure people here in the north have used them right? Wondering about the weight of the snow on them.

If yours is anything like my shipping cover (material-wise) that first heavy wet snow fall would tear it apart. The felt-y material under the outer coating just doesn't seem strong enough to hold really any weight.

I use mine for winter storage, but it's also in a covered storage barn.

Ok then maybe I'll just buy the stuff to shrink wrap it myself. Looks to be about $700 for everything but that will get me all the equipment and enough supplies for 3 wraps. After that its just about $100 a year for supplies. I've watched them do it many times and it doesn't look to hard, just gotta make sure I don't melt the boat.......

we store our boat outside in a boat/rv storage lot. we use the black mooring over plus we drape a huge tarp over the waketower to keep the rain off about 95% of the boat. we keep a couple of buckets of damprid and we're set. the tower allows for plenty of airflow so there is no condensation. i checked the boat yesterday....dry as a bone!

How much snow fall will that hold? Last year we a a couple storms well over a foot and I may not be around to clear it off quickly.

@subysti . If you're asking me....snow isn't a concern. We rarely get an inch or two.

I shrink wrap my boat and 5 others thank god so much snow last year

I ended up buying all the stuff to shrink wrap it. I hope it goes well. I figure after 3 years it pays for itself in what it would cost me to pay someone else to do it. I just hope I can do it. I've watched it done many times and also watched the videos online so it should be interesting.

My boat was at the dealer last winter when I went to look at it before purchasing. It only had the shipping cover on and we had the worst winter for snow in several years in New England. It held up fine. I had planned to use the cover this year also as I really like the ratchet system. I checked on the boat yesterday where I store it in my yard and there were lots of leaf debris in the boat getting in through the air vents in the cover. I assume snow would also blow in if the vents aren't covered over. I also noticed condensation from the cover dripping inside the boat. So for this year I'll be throwing a tarp over the storage cover and next year I'll buy a new cover.

that's a great idea -- tarp up over the tower, with the storage cover below. I'd think if the tarp is fairly taught over the entire boat & tower, there's enough pitch (slope) on it for any serious snow accumulation to slide off.

One suggestion I'd have though is to open storage areas inside the boat while it's covered...which would allow air to move in there and dry out.

@Matt Phillips. Already ahead of ya Matt! Everything is open and venting great! . Momma raised no dummy

I used my shipping cover for winter storage and it held up fine (against the wind and rain we experience here in NCAL) for almost two off seasons until the outer layer started cracking, I assume due to heat cycling. After that water leaked though to the inner felt layer and turned the inside of the cover and some parts of the of the tops of the boat's seats into a big petri dish/ giant mold sponge.

It was good while it lasted. If I could get a couple shipping covers for $200 or less I would, it's better than sacrificing the $500+ mooring cover and less expensive than shrink wrapping, at least initially.

Well finally got it done today. Not too bad I guess. Few holes I made with the heat but I guess that's expected for my first try. Took about 4 hours but a lot of that was learning how to do things. Glad my daughter was willing to help. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg :thumbsup:Wow good job next year just leave the tower up and build off of that no need for 2x4 supports .

I also take load off trailer wheels

I thought of the tower being up but mine has that tall light and tow point so I just lowered it. Rather have the weight on the 2x4's and much less wide shrink wrap.

Back