• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterization 250HP Scarab Question

ADoyle3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
So... I ran 5 gallons of RV antifreeze though the Exhaust flush port on the back of the engine cowl. Is it necessary to take apart the intercooler intake tube as described in the engine manual Scarab Mike posted? Or does that port connect to the exhaust and intercooler systems allowing both to fill with antifreeze?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You're fine. Yes they are connected. If you ran that much antifreeze, you're good to go. Lots of people like to blow out with a compressor whatever antifreeze is left out before calling it a day. But having a bit of antifreeze in there won't hurt it either. I run 2 gallons, but I don't have an intercooler. I'd probably run double to ensure there's enough to clear it. But frankly, you probably need very little. It's insurance... cheap insurance to run a few gallons like you did.

If not running antifreeze, you definitely should follow the procedure in the manual.

ADoyle3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I'll go with it...Gets pretty cold in my barn in the winter here in southern Maine, but if you're from Ottawa I'll take your word. Thanks..

Nick Nguyen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The intercooler draining as described in the manual is for the AIR portion of the unit to clear any water condensation in the AIR portion, where you remove the AIR outlet hose then start and rev the engine up to 4000 rpm several times. Just make sure you don't run the engine for more than 2 minutes (I did it all in about 30 seconds), and always run it with fresh water going into the flushing port as described in the exhaust system flushing section in the manual. I have done this procedure twice already as this is my second winter with the 165 ID. Nothing came out of the intercooler. If you don't do it, it probably won't hurt your boat. It there was any water condensation, it's most likely not enough to cause damage in freezing conditions.

As for exhaust system and Intercooler protection, I used the compressed air method as described in the Rotax manual last year without any problem. Same thing this year (I am in New Hampshire btw). Antifreeze is cheap, but air is free. It's much quicker, simpler, and cleaner. Most importantly, it is environmentally friendly. Like used motor oil, you cannot dump antifreeze anywhere. It must be taken to a recycling center. FYI, last year, my boat was on the trailer on a slightly inclined slope, only about 1/2 cup of water came out. This year, the boat is on a cradle horizontally with and above the water, 2-3 cups of water came out. Undoubtedly, there is still water in the system but not enough to cause any damage. This is what the engine manufacturer wants you to do, not the antifreeze method.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Just to be clear, people keep forgetting that a compressor isn't free. Yes, relatively minor cost as compared to a boat. But some people don't have one. A drill pump and tubes are cheaper than a compressor. But yes, over years the antifreeze adds up.

As for environment, I capture the antifreeze into a kiddy pool. Then pump it back into the jug. It then goes into the toilet so it can go back to the city wastewater treatment.

Also, what the manufacturer says is not the only way to do things. But yes, you can obviously do that technique. I don't disagree. Essentially, so what works best for you between those two things. But antifreeze definitely works and definitely doesn't damage anything. I'm in Canada, going into my third winter.

Don't want to argue, but the air method is not the only method. Anectotally, it looks like more people do the antifreeze method over the air method. Why? Most people seem to think it's a safer bet. It probably doesn't matter otherwise manufacturer would have recommended it.

Choose what tool is easiest for you.

Nick Nguyen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It seems like 99.9% of boaters, if not 100% minus myself, use the antifreeze method. Put environmental issue aside (btw, don't tell your local city/town hall that you have been dumping antifreeze in the sewage, or you will get in big trouble, to say the least. You don't have to believe me, just call them or Google it up), the antifreeze method is very risky because you have to run your engine during the entire time. There's always a risk of running it over 2 minutes. Even if you manage to keep it less than 2 minutes, your carbon seal is worst off compared to ones not subjected to this torture. People do this then blame the Scarab when their carbon seal fails prematurely.

An air compressor costs less than $50 at Harbor Freight. Your carbon seal will thank you.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I did just look up the antifreeze toxicity in more detail and you are correct. Cities don't like having that stuff to deal with because of the bacteria issues in the wastewater treatment. It's a pretty small amount and from what I've read, has very little consequences for our use case but added all together across a city... With that being said, it's very biodegradable, etc. But point taken, I will simply bring it to hazardous waste like I already do for oil. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. But yes, that means you have to deal with antifreeze waste now which is a negative to using this method.

As for the big risk, yes it can be. But pumping 2 gallons of antifreeze through takes me all of about 30 sec. You have to do the same for the oil change. Your carbon ring is as safe as it can be within those times. But agreed, if you run the engine for long, that can be a problem. But I don't.

So again, people can choose. The air method or the antifreeze method with all of their pros and cons. My point is they both work.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Ok now that my head is a spinning.
Does anyone have a start to finish, step by step on how to winterize the Scarab boat?
Im attempting to do this myself along with……. SHINK WRAP the boat as well. Gulp! I’m tired of getting taken to the cleaners by our local dealers. It cost me 1589$ last year to shrink wrap, oil change and a winterization.
Then come spring it’s time to pay for insurance which was 1510$. 3k and i haven’t even got my shorts wet lmfaooooooo.
Anyways… Just looking for a step by step so come thanksgiving when it’s cold and rainy I will be attempting all this fun stuff.

Cheers

rayski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Step by step is in the BRP manual! 😀