• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterization on new 2019

Bryon720

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for opinions on what to do this winter. I have one more outing planned and will have less than 10 hours on the engines. Should I just fog and antifreeze(boat will be stored in Kentucky) and change the oil next season when I do my 10 hour service or try and get it done now? I plan on changing oil before storing every winter but that will be on oil that was used for the whole summer. Thanks in advance.

I dont think you need to antifreeze or change the oil with those few hours. Fogging is easy, do that, then rev the engines once dry and done

How many hours are on it? Are you close to 10? I don't think it hurts to do the 10-hour service early. I've heard opinions that earlier is better than later anyway.

How many hours are on it? Are you close to 10? I don't think it hurts to do the 10-hour service early. I've heard opinions that earlier is better than later anyway.
I currently have 2.5 on each

I currently have 2.5 on each
Ah ok. I would probably not bother with the oil change now. But I am about as far from an expert as you can get. So if you get other opinions, ignore mine. :-)

Ah ok. I would probably not bother with the oil change now. But I am about as far from an expert as you can get. So if you get other opinions, ignore mine. :)
Thanks for the reply all opinions welcome :)

I would go ahead and change the oil, throw in gas stabilizer, keep the batteries maintained, rev out the water, and call it a day. I don't think fogging or antifreeze is worth it given your climate and relatively short lay up.

I'm in KY (or rather just east of Louisville, in IN). I don't run antifreeze, or fogging oil in mine. Haven't fogged ANY of my boats in the last 10 years. The layup is short here (I'll be out this weekend, and then probably back out in March), and the environment is typically not very corrosive so I skip the fogging. I might take a day or two in the winter as well if we get a 60-70deg day.

I will run stabil through the last few tanks, and attempt to fill up with ethanol free fuel on those last few tanks as well.

Otherwise, with the Yamaha, it's rev it up a few times in the driveway to blow as much water out as I can, then toss a cover over it. The winterization is essentially the same as my normal storage routine during the summer. Super simple and easy.

I was in the same predicament as you last October]: a couple hours on my new boat. I'm in Raleigh and I simply added some Stabil to the tank, blew out the water from the engine and purchased a battery tender.

Back