• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterize Ballast on 242x (Central VA)

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am reading all the winterization threads and comfortable I will not do much to winterize the engines. By "Blow out does this mean run them momentarily w/o the hose on (boat on trailer)? Makes sense if so.

As far as my ballast system...all the bags are virtually empty ( I assume some water in them). Anything I should do with them and how? Im in central VA we will have freezing nights and days, maybe a snow or two...nothing terrible.

You’re right about what blow out the engines means. That’s what I do and no problems so far.

in terms of the ballast, I make sure the bags are empty, then pour about a gallon of antifreeze in the three bags and then run the pumps for a few seconds. That might excessive for you (I’m near Lake Placid) but I’d rather be safe than sorry

I would worry about the pumps more than the bags. For obvious reasons, the bags have room for expansion, but the pumps do not. I could see either running them dry, or running some rv antifreeze through them to be sure no water is in them.

My bags I worried more about growth of organic material, but then remembered, they are sitting in a pole building that will drop as low as -40f, so anything organic will die. HA!

Good luck, great question.

I would worry about the pumps more than the bags. For obvious reasons, the bags have room for expansion, but the pumps do not. I could see either running them dry, or running some rv antifreeze through them to be sure no water is in them.

My bags I worried more about growth of organic material, but then remembered, they are sitting in a pole building that will drop as low as -40f, so anything organic will die. HA!

Good luck, great question.

Thanks for the input. Curious..how would I run anything into the pumps? I assume there is an input tube running into the water/through hull?

There are definitely input/output pipes on my boat. When I run my pumps for a few seconds after putting antifreeze in the bags, you can see the antifreeze on the ground.

While I guess in theory you could suck antifreeze into the bags through the input/output pipes, I found much easier just to pour the antifreeze into the bags and then drain for a few seconds.

Back