• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing '17 212X?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, I watched JetBoatPilot's video on their website on how to winterize our Yamahas, but I'm puzzled that there was no pink antifreeze cycled through the block during the process. Isn't that necessary?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not necessary for Florida. I use RV antifreeze in my boat. It is one of those deep dark black holes of a discussion, some do some don't.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It isn't necessary as water isn't supposed to be accumulate anywhere to that once frozen would expand and do damage. I say supposed because obviously there are no guarantees that's why some still do it. Your ballast plumbing may be a different story though.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I store my 212X in an unheated northern IL barn. I don't use anti-freeze. Just rev engines a bit to blow out remaining water.
As @Ancient canoe said I would plan on sucking some pink antifreeze through the ballast system to protect the pump and mix with any water in the bags.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've never added antifreeze, and my boat winters in temps as low as -25•F

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh, and pull your clean out plugs. They will be filled with water internally.

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No antifreeze here, Minnesota winters and no issues.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just about to do mine for the first time. The local Yamaha Waverunner dealer says he runs a gallon through each engine so I’ll do that, better safe than sorry.

More importantly, for those with the ballast system, how do you suck the antifreeze into it? Is there a hose connector somewhere? Thx

Steve H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a friend that has a 2017 Yamaha 242x e-series. I have the 2017 242 Limited S e-series boat. We are going to winterize our boats soon. I have no problems winterizing and fogging the engines but am unsure how to effectively pump antifreeze into the ballasts on my friends boat. We are in Maryland and do get deep freezes. Can anyone help?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are quick connect fittings to the pump, you can disconnect this and pour some rv antifreeze in. Honestly, I will not even worry about it. My temps do not get that cold for extended periods of time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only thing I do to "winterize" my boat here in Alabama is to pull out all my gear from ski and storage compartments, place No Damp containers in each storage, plug in the battery tender, fill-up and add Stabil to fuel and finally loosely toss the cover on to keep dust to a minimum while she sleeps in the garage for a few months.

This was from one storage compartment the No Damp had pulled the water from https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetboaters/permalink/791637507656642/. This will keep your compartments from smelling like funk and mold.

Last edited:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did all the winterizing of my 212x last weekend. Drained and added antifreeze to the ballast system. Flushed the engines, fogged them and ran about a gallon of antifreeze through them. All good. I then intended to rev each engine like JBP video suggests but forgot to do one.

Should I be concerned? I don’t think so but would love to hear from others. It can go down to -20 here in the winter. Boat is stored in an unheated barn. Thx

Steve H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn't be concerned. That last step is just to blow the last bit of water out of the exhaust. In your case that will evaporate and if any stayed in there it is protected by the antifreeze.

I am about to winterize a 2017 24' X boat for my friend. Can you tell me how you gained access to ballast system to get the antifreeze in the sacks and in the pump? I ordered a service manual but haven't received it yet.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thx. I started by removing the drain plug from the bag in the front. Drained all the water (there was a lot, not sure why but now I know why lost some speed over the summer!).

I then put about a gallon of AF in the bag and then pressed the drain button on the Connext until I saw AF coming out.

Lastly, I removed the quick connect hose from the pump (you need to slide the yellow ring toward the pump if I remember).

For the rear tanks, I removed the quick connect fittings and let the tanks drain. I didn’t touch the tanks further as I didn’t see any way to get AF in them although I wasn’t concerned since the hose fittings seemed to be at the bottom of the tanks.

I then turned the hoses pointing up and poured AF in and then pressed the drain button on the Connext until I saw the pink stuff coming out. I did this twice per side because I could not get much AF in.

Last thing I did was to turn the hoses down to make sure there was no way for water or condensation to build up. Probably not necessary but there’s no downside.

I’m feeling pretty good that I fully protected the system but it’s the first time I’ve done this with a ballast system so will know for sure next spring!

Steve H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. What kind of set up is that system? Does each ballast have it's own pump or is there just one pump and some type of diverter? Where is/are the pump(s) located? Can you get to each ballast? The rear tanks don't seem too accessible.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 242X is different then the 212X. The 242X has 3 soft ballast bags and a pump per bag. The 212X has 2 hard tanks and on soft bag. With that being said you could do it the same way as @Dave burke pour a gallon into each ballast bag and then cycle the pump to empty the bag to get rv antifreeze into the lines.

All pumps for the 242X are in the engine compartment.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Each tank has its own pump. There is one intake/drain combination for the front bag and a separate one for the two rear tanks. You just have to open the engine hatch and follow the hoses.

As I noted, I didn’t see a separate drain for the rear tanks so I drained though by disconnecting the hose from the tank via the quick connect fitting.

Sounds complicated in words but it wasn’t that bad. Here’s a couple of pics of the rear tanks:

2BCDCDA7-5D53-4B10-BF6B-312ADC1B68FB.jpeg 4196F074-7FEE-4DBB-BF85-35B6EB2E3BEB.jpeg

Steve H

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the info. I feel more comfortable going into it now.

Matty

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Great info guys! Time to put the baby to bed up here in Ontario...I'll be doing all this stuff on my 212x! Thanks