• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing for a fresh water wet slip.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got my 2017 AR240 this Summer. Previously I had a Bayliner with a Merc 4.3. With the Bayliner I opened some valves that let the exhaust manifolds drain, the block was cooled with anti-freeze. What do people do with these Yamahas? It'll be in a covered slip with a Yamaha cover on it and a marine heater in the cockpit. Obviously I'll use fuel stabilizer and a battery maintainer. My big question is this: is there any way to drain the block and exhaust while it's still sitting in the water? I worry that with all of the insulation around the engine bay, the warmth of the cockpit may not be enough to prevent a block freeze... I'm in Portland, OR on the Columbia river, so not cold like the Midwest. Still, we get freezes down into the teens and I've seen some ice on top of the water once or twice. Thanks! (BTW, the boat does get used in the winter occasionally, though not often.)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Help us understand...It is your intention to leave the boat in the water? You are not going to hoist it out of the water?

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, in the water year round. No possibility of hoisting it out of the water in a slip at my Marina. My Bayliner sat in the water for 15 years and did just fine. I will pull it out twice a year to have the hull cleaned.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, gotta admit I've never heard of that! Larger boats yes, but boats our size I thought not. Does the water it's in freeze?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Some run antifreeze through the engines but many do not even in the frozen sub-zero temps up here in MN. The engines mostly self drain. Many just rev the engines a couple times to blow out as much water as possible but any water left in the water boxes and small amount in hoses doesn't historically cause any damage because of the shape and structure of the limited places and amount of water that remains. As far as leaving it on a lift year round, seems @swatski does that or at least pert-near through the MO. winter - maybe he can weigh in.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some run antifreeze through the engines but many do not even in the frozen sub-zero temps up here in MN. The engines mostly self drain. Many just rev the engines a couple times to blow out as much water as possible but any water left in the water boxes and small amount in hoses doesn't historically cause any damage because of the shape and structure of the limited places and amount of water that remains. As far as leaving it on a lift year round, seems @swatski does that or at least pert-near through the MO. winter - maybe he can weigh in.
My boat sits on a lift and it can get really cold here. I've had a frozen cooling line last year (due to water not being blown out after pulling the boat up on the lift - I must have forgotten) which led to an overheat alarm. I have used a small boat Pali heater since and no issues.
I would think if the water in the marina is not freezing the boat should be fine. However, with the jet drive submerged there will be deterioration of parts and linkages, so higher maintenance would be expected.

--

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Swatski! I googled "Pali heater" and found this: Amazon.com: Caframo Pali Engine Compartment Heater, Small, Silver/Black: Sports & Outdoors
Perfect! I have a marine heater, but not rated for the engine compartment. This little baby should be perfect for protecting the engine bay. As a side benefit it'll keep the electronics bone dry. I didn't know they made something like this.

Yep, very familiar with corrosion & extra maintenance from leaving the boat in the water. Sigh.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Swatski! I googled "Pali heater" and found this: Amazon.com: Caframo Pali Engine Compartment Heater, Small, Silver/Black: Sports & Outdoors
Perfect! I have a marine heater, but not rated for the engine compartment. This little baby should be perfect for protecting the engine bay. As a side benefit it'll keep the electronics bone dry. I didn't know they made something like this.

Yep, very familiar with corrosion & extra maintenance from leaving the boat in the water. Sigh.
It’s a great device, it’s purpose built with safety in mind.
The thermostat is not adjustable, I think it comes on below 45deg F.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why don't you pull it out on the trailer for the winter? Everybody's got their own thing so do what you will, but sounds to me like you are asking for problems leaving it float. The hull on the Yamaha's are not very thick so I would worry that even a little bit of ice build up around a cold fiberglass hull could do some cracking and sinking. I don't think there is any good way to drain all the water from the engine while floating either so definitely go with that engine heater.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on a waiting list for a spot to park my boat, been on one for years. (My HOA prohibits boat parking in your driveway.) I use my boat periodically all winter, so I still need storage to be convenient for launching the boat. The 18' Bayliner I sold to get the Yamaha sat in the water for 13 years... I'm not worried about the ice getting thick enough to hurt the hull; the most ice I've ever seen in the marina could be crumpled in your hand and even that is a very, very rare event. We get wet in the winter, not cold. (It only rained twice last winter, but it lasted 3 months each time.) I mean yes, we will get a cold snap every few years, but it never lasts long enough to build up ice on the river. (Except in small protected bays or very shallow water.) Some years we don't even get snow that sticks. When it does stick, it's gone in a few days. It's far more important to keep the boat covered and mildly heated. Without heat, it will get wet in the boat, even covered. Boat interiors and electronics degrade pretty rapidly if you leave them wet all winter. I found out that the hard way... So boat storage here needs to have electricity available or be inside. I'd rather do maintenance on the jet than ruin the interior & electronics. Trust me, when my number comes up I'll take the inside parking spot.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah, the HOA curse. Just cozy up to the head of the HOA and bribe him/her to change the rules with boat time and beer. I just redid my garage header for a second time to get my new boat in the garage. The things we put ourselves through...

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOO HOO! I just talked to the Harbor Master; he thinks a lift is a great idea!!!! I assumed not, since there are no lifts in our marina. Talked to a company who says they have a Hydrohoist that will fit my slip. (Airdock won't fit.) Spendy, but they say they'll cut me a deal if I hang a sign from my tower while in the slip. (No lifts in our marina, they want to break into the market here.) Crossing my fingers this all comes together...