• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing in FL?

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So it’s supposed to dip into the 30s next week and my marina called and asked if I wanted them to winterize my fsh 19. It shouldn’t be for more than two days. Do I really need to do anything?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if your boat is out of the water I would possibly start it really quick and just pump the throttle twice to make sure water was out of the lines. If its in the water I would do nothing the water will be warmer then that likely slightly effecting the temp right around your boat so it should be fine. I don't think I would winterize it. I have not winterized my boats in years with no issues and get temps in the 30's several days a week this time a year.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I made the mad dash to winterize my boat yesterday. It is going to be 25 tonight and 19 tomorrow night, which is very abnormal for my location. The Boat and RV antifreeze was $5 a gallon and I bought 3 gallons. I figured $15 and a little effort would be cheaper than a cracked block. But in your location and in the 30s? I might just do what Robert suggested. Of course ... it is just 15 bucks to be sure, right?

If you are leaving it put up for the whole Florida "winter" I would just do it. We might have some more cold snaps that actually get you into the dangerous temperatures.

I used this, so it would be $15 plus the $50 for the kit:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--engine-winterizing-kit--520411?recordNum=1

Here is a $10 solution that would probably be good enough:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/winterize-it-pro-inc--winterize-it-pro-aerosol--16788788?recordNum=15

Last edited:

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
30 degrees???? I can only wish to 30 degrees, its 5 degrees this morning in lower Michigan :)

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yea, sorry for rubbing in the temp, but it is my first boat and never had to worry about this before.

Thanks for all the comments.

Matt

JetSet407

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey Matt! Im not far from you, Im in the Ocoee area. I have never winterized my boat or know anyone who has here in Orlando. I keep my boat covered outside year round and never had any issues. Look forward to seeing you on the water this summer!

Chris

Yea, sorry for rubbing in the temp, but it is my first boat and never had to worry about this before.

Thanks for all the comments.

Matt

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hey Matt! Im not far from you, Im in the Ocoee area. I have never winterized my boat or know anyone who has here in Orlando. I keep my boat covered outside year round and never had any issues. Look forward to seeing you on the water this summer!

Chris
Thanks for the info Chris. I’ll not worry so much then.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah ... normal temperature for this time of year is 60 degrees. Glad I winterized. Today looks like this:

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow... Won't even bother showing you what we have in MIichgan. Thus far its been a terrible winter. I'm ready to head south.... She it warms up

Last edited:

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wow... Won't even bother show I g what we have in MIichgan. Thus far its been a terrible winter. I'm ready to head south.... She it warms up
Yeah, but you are supposed to get snow :p The last time it snowed here was 2010 and it lasted about a day before it melted. The last time we got this much snow (about 6-7 inches) was 1989 and it also lasted a about a day or so. This stuff is going to stick around for about 5 days and then it is going to be 65 degrees again. Crazy.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know just looking for some sympathy from my southern brothers:):). But you're right at least we're accustomed to it and have the equipment to move around. Not good for you folks in the southern states for sure

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I lived in Germany for several years, so I am accustomed to the snow and know how to drive in it. Today I made a run to the grocery store. On the way back there was a GMC Sierra 4x4 jacked up with big old tires, etc. He was doing about 8 mph white-knuckling the steering wheel. WTF ...