• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing in water

Awd-turbo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in charlotte nc. It can freeze, sometimes we have hit 9degrees F. My boat is in a slip, and still stay there through the winter. Id like to run it every once in a while during the winter cause we can have nice days even in winter.

My question is, what do I need to do between runs to keep it winterized, so my block doesnt crack?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If I was in a climate where I could use the boat through the winter every once in a while I'd change the oil, grease up moving parts and nothing else. These engines are self draining so after a run just bump the throttles a couple times to help blow out the water and that's it. Then in the spring I'd change the spark plugs and keep rockin'. Man I wish I lived in a climate like that. We don't boat on our lake in the winter, we drive on it. :)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Treating the fuel with a good marine stabilizer, or something that specifically addresses ethanol and/or water. Marine Stabil or Seafoam and possibly ISO for any water that does separate in the fuel. But that all depends on the amount of time between outings.

My guess, that even if you went out ever few weeks, you won't burn through a tank of fuel. So fuel treatment may be very similar for those of us leaving fuel in our tanks from October to April.

Good luck! Enjoy some for us!

Awd-turbo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks
Yea fuel and oil is like my "garage car". fuel stabilizer, change oil before and after winter...

How do you "dump the throttle"?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks
Yea fuel and oil is like my "garage car". fuel stabilizer, change oil before and after winter...

How many hours do you put on over the winter? "before and after" is not required at all. Most of us are annually with normal use.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks

"bump the throttle" meaning after you pull it out, start the engine up and rev it a few times to blow it out.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If I was in a climate where I could use the boat through the winter every once in a while I'd change the oil, grease up moving parts and nothing else. These engines are self draining so after a run just bump the throttles a couple times to help blow out the water and that's it. Then in the spring I'd change the spark plugs and keep rockin'. Man I wish I lived in a climate like that. We don't boat on our lake in the winter, we drive on it. :)
@MidnightRider .......don't think @Awd-turbo can blow the the water out of his engine(s) after each run - didn't he say his boat will remain in a slip all Winter? With cruisers I know a lot of guys who wet slip them have marine designed engine bay heaters if you are at a slip with power. :cool:

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@MidnightRider .......don't think @Awd-turbo can blow the the water out of his engine(s) after each run - didn't he say his boat will remain in a slip all Winter? With cruisers I know a lot of guys who wet slip them have marine designed engine bay heaters if you are at a slip with power. :cool:
Ah yeah, sorry, I saw slip and my brain said boat lift.
In this case I'd second what @Canuckjetboater mentioned about an engine bay heater if there is power.

Awd-turbo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can we hook up a hose to a compressor and blow at 40 psi, to get the water out?🤔🤔

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Can we hook up a hose to a compressor and blow at 40 psi, to get the water out?🤔🤔
I don't know if that would do anything or not. Not sure I have heard of anyone keeping a Yamaha in the water where it could be below freezing. I know @swatski used his boat into the colder temps of Missouri and used a engine bay heater but he had his on a lift, not floating in a slip. Not sure if he might have some genenral insight though into cold weather use in this situation.

Awd-turbo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if that would do anything or not. Not sure I have heard of anyone keeping a Yamaha in the water where it could be below freezing. I know @swatski used his boat into the colder temps of Missouri and used a engine bay heater but he had his on a lift, not floating in a slip. Not sure if he might have some genenral insight though into cold weather use in this situation.
The water doesnt freeze. its never that cold, or long enough here. I guess ill be finding a place to pull it and store it during a couple of months here.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The water doesnt freeze. its never that cold, or long enough here. I guess ill be finding a place to pull it and store it during a couple of months here.
Yeah I get that the lake may not freeze, but at 9 degrees I think I'd be concerned about any water freezing that is still in the cooling lines and/or engine because the intakes are under water preventing normal drainage. Not sure if that is the case but seems like it may be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A 60 watt light bulb (if you can fine one anymore) in the engine bay would keep things from freezing.

(A Maine tradition on those 20 below nights so your truck will start the next morning) Though sometimes we just let them run all night... Could be another option for the boat.