• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wire size for additional house batteries

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Hi forum,
I’m adding 2 house batteries to my new 255XE.

Due to the lack of space in the back (bc of the ballast tanks),I will need to place the additional batteries under the bow seat which requires 15-20’ cables. What size cables should I use?

Thanks in advance!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO wasn't discrediting your advice at all, was mentioning the charts. Will be helpful in the future as well.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've mentioned this in other threads, but the charts are misleading. The amperage a wire can carry depends on it's construction. You need to know the wire you are buying and it's current carrying capacity and then size it accordingly. Here's a good example of what I'm saying below with cable from Knukonceptz. As the chart shows their 1/0, 4 and 8 awg cables have 3 different amperage ratings and it's all based on the cable makeup. If you are using the exact wire that's specified on the charts, then you will be fine.
Screenshot_20210501-170610_Chrome.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I wouldn’t do anything less than 0 gauge. You spent 100k on a boat, no reason to cheap out now lol.