• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wiring and LED Lights Question

oakley24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I am planning out my second battery install, and I have a couple of questions. I believe I have the basics planned for the battery compartment thanks to @HangOutdoors thread, but want to add 4 LED lights, 2 in the engine bay and 1 in each aft storage area. Controlled by an additional rocker switch panel at the helm.

- Does this crude drawing look correct? Does the negative wire care where it's located? ie. can I just run that ground to the battery compartment instead of to the helm? Although my OCD may make me run that negative wire to the helm for organization sake, but still curious

20221117_175846.jpg

- Is it OK to use the below type connectors to attach the lights to a single wire?

Screenshot_20221117-162157_Amazon Shopping.jpg

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can pick up the DC negative anywhere it's convenient. You can use the connectors you have shown, but you would be better off with some type of water proof connector.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your negative should be to the same battery as your positive in case you are running seperated house and starting batteries.

Personally, I would use the heat shrink butt splices and other connectors. Those scotch lock connectors promote corrosion and trouble down the road.

And if you are cutting a wire and dont like to jam 2 wires into the butt splice in order to create another run.....use a terminal block and do it up neatly.

Or come straight off the battery and have a nice fuse right there.

Last edited:

oakley24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I didn't realize you could add 2 wires to one side of the butt connector. I just did some testing with scrap wire and it worked with two 16 awg wires, but I had to use a 10-12 connector. For the single wire, I just stripped it a little longer and doubled it up. I was worried about the connector on the single wire side shrinking enough, but it did.
I tested it on the battery and got the same voltage as the battery on both ends.
Thanks for the assist

20221119_093731.jpg
20221119_094918.jpg