• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wiring Depth Finder to Ignition Switch

apinks

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am trying to wire in a Yamaha Depth Finder on my AR190. I am trying to figure out how it should be wired to turn on when the switch is in the ON position. I have attached the wiring diagram for the switch.

The depth finder has just a red and black wire. I have the black wire of the DF connected to the black wire of the switch. I had the red wire of the DF to the red wire of the switch and it only turned on when I had the switch in the START position. I then wired the red wire of the DF to the brown wire of the switch and again it only turns on when in the START position. I hate to keep stripping insulation off the factory wiring so I figured I would ask her before I go any further.

The issue is that once the boat starts and the key goes back to just the ON position the depth finder turns off.

FYI, the red/yellow wire shown in the diagram from the switch does not connect through to any wiring in the wire harness from the boat. So the only other wire that is connected through is the white wire, but it doesn't seem that would work.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alright, I'll take a stab at this.

First, assuming that we are both correct in our assumptions, black should lead to the negative of the battery. So you should be good with the black wire.

Looking at the switch configuration on this thing, it SEEMS that red should be hot all the time. So I find the behavior you describe (only have power to depth when in START position) odd. Are you sure you were on the red wire?

This behavior DOES make sense if you were wired in to the brown wire. The brown wire goes to the coil of the start solenoid. You only want that pulled in when trying to start.

Based on this diagram, I'd say you should tap into the yellow/red wire. It should be hot when the switch is on.

If you have a volt meter, test the boat-side black to red. I'm thinking you should see 12 volts. If not, then disregard the above 'cause I'm missing something.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
O.K. - Just looked in the service manual for an '07 SX230. Here's the key schematic:

upload_2015-6-27_15-2-53.png

It doesn't look like the black or white wires actually lead anywhere(?) so you've got no path back to the negative terminal on the battery.

Hopefully someone with more experience on these 12-volt systems than me will chime in, but based on what I see, you're going to need to find yourself a neutral wire or else run one.

apinks

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick replies! I got it working properly. I did end up having to take the red wire from the DF to the yellow/red wire of the switch. It was my first instinct, but figured it was just a dead wire for some reason. It now turns on when key is in ON position and turns off when key is in OFF position. Thanks for the help!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick replies! I got it working properly. I did end up having to take the red wire from the DF to the yellow/red wire of the switch. It was my first instinct, but figured it was just a dead wire for some reason. It now turns on when key is in ON position and turns off when key is in OFF position. Thanks for the help!
Awesome!