• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wisconsin Dells - places to stay with boat slip

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Been looking into where to possibly stay with the family at the dells along with the boat. Come across a few so far (wilderness resort, Delton oak resort, Aloha beach resort and some others).

Anyone been to the dells with their boat? Where did you stay and what did you think?

Guess I am looking for something clean that has or is close to other things to do than just boating. Got a 12yr boy and 14 yr girl, so go-carts, water parks and shopping.

Another big question- Lake Delton or Wisconsin River? Which would be better for boating and thus if I have a pick of 2 places, each on one of the waters, which would you prefer.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not that I know anything about Wisconsin, but I'd vote anywhere that wasn't Manitowoc county :p

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I try to avoid the Dells myself, but Lake Delton sounds like a nightmare to me. Ive heard its way too crowded with inexperienced operators, and isn't a very big lake. The river seems like it could be more fun to me. Less crowded, and comes with sand bars and beaches to enjoy.

If you're open to staying a little bit outside the dells, (half hour) you could look into Lake Wisconsin to the south, or Castle Rock/Petenwell to the NW of the Dells. I know there's places on VRBO.com on those waters. I'm hoping to explore Lake Wisconsin this summer for the first time.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We stayed in a rental house on Lake Petenwell in 2014 with my wife's family. There is a nice little county park there that has slips you can rent. It may not be as close to the Dells as you might like though. I think we were 30-40 min away.

We had a place to park the trailer near the house, so I just launched and retrieved daily instead of renting a slip.

Be forewarned : That lake gets shamrock-shake green by late summer.

jim r wisco

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Castle rock, awesome sandbars. My vote.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Petenwell has slips at the county park that are cheap. There's also a nice campground there and about a 40 minute drive to the Dells. Stay away I late summer due to the green algae that covers the lake and smells terrible. In June, it's a nice lake where you can cruise forever.

I've also always steered clear of the Dells with our boat due to traffic and inexperienced boaters and we've focused our time on non-boating activities.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you go to the upper dells river section. above the dells dam.

1. very low bridge if you launch in the dells, alternative is across the river from holiday shores is a public launch, dont know the name.
2. be cautious going north on the river of holiday shores, moving sandbar. I think they have large white floating buoys marking this area.
3. Much of the scenic cliff area is no wake zone.

We use to go blasting thru on jetskis / waverunners.
Were able to go all the way to the next dam.
Several long 200' shallow sections 4" deep, traveling 45 mph on plane.
We also use to go on in the spring when it was still cold and flooded April/May. would kinda dirt bike the wave runners thru the flooded forests.

Had to retrain my thinking my I got the jet boat. Would be unable, and extremely difficult to move a 3000 lb boat if I get it stuck.

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Castle rock, awesome sandbars. My vote.
I agree, have been going there for the past 7 years and renting a house on the lake. Close to the dells for a day trip for the kids and plenty of restaurants and bars on the water.

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree lake petenwell is great. Been boating on that lake for years. Nice and wide open mostly sand bottom so little chance of hitting stumps or rocks if you stay away from the very northern side. If it is too green you can follow the channel markers up to the river. It is not green there when the lake gets green. Before we bought our cabin on that lake we had a camper at the county park. Nice slips for the park that size. My signature picture is from the west side of the lake.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Been looking into where to possibly stay with the family at the dells along with the boat. Come across a few so far (wilderness resort, Delton oak resort, Aloha beach resort and some others).

Anyone been to the dells with their boat? Where did you stay and what did you think?

Guess I am looking for something clean that has or is close to other things to do than just boating. Got a 12yr boy and 14 yr girl, so go-carts, water parks and shopping.

Another big question- Lake Delton or Wisconsin River? Which would be better for boating and thus if I have a pick of 2 places, each on one of the waters, which would you prefer.
It's worthy to put the boat in on Lake Delton to watch the Tommy Bartlett show, other than that I would avoid the Lake on the weekends. If you want to take a tour of the Upper and Lower Dells on the boat it's also worthy of doing. However keep in mind you really can't go that far on the Upper or Lower Dells. Once you get to the Lake on the Upper you are out of the Dells and I have not explored North of the Lake. On the Lower if going up to the Dam make sure you stay close to the left side going upstream (this is a surprisingly narrow channel), watch were the tour boats go. Also on the Lower you will see a sign that says no rentals beyond this point. Do not go down further there is a very narrow channel and the rest is rocks just under the water. You can't go far in the Upper or Lower however it is very scenic, and they are some sand bars along the shore to park at.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I try to avoid the Dells myself, but Lake Delton sounds like a nightmare to me. Ive heard its way too crowded with inexperienced operators, and isn't a very big lake. The river seems like it could be more fun to me. Less crowded, and comes with sand bars and beaches to enjoy.

If you're open to staying a little bit outside the dells, (half hour) you could look into Lake Wisconsin to the south, or Castle Rock/Petenwell to the NW of the Dells. I know there's places on VRBO.com on those waters. I'm hoping to explore Lake Wisconsin this summer for the first time.
When are we going? I will be more than happy to show you around.

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I might be using VRBO in July for the boat bash on Castle Rock lake. If you have you never been to this lake it has a huge sandbar that surrounds this island that everyone hangs out at. I think the bash is July 21st.