• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Wrap or repaint?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The red on my AR230 is in crappy shape. It was completely ignored for the first 5 years of it's life by the first owner. It was extremely oxidized when we bought it. I had it cleaned up by a fiberglass guy and the decals replaced and it looked factory perfect again....for about 3 months....even though I waxed it like crazy, the chalky look came right back. I keep telling myself I don't really care because it's not about the look, but it would be nice to have it look nice again.

So, repaint or wrap? I like the idea of a wrap but how long will it last? Nobody seems to install them I this area so I would have to do it, is it tough? I don't mind spending a couple grand but I don't want to waste it.

How much would new gelcoat cost? I've applied large decals to our vehicles at work and it's definitely an art. New gelcoat would certainly last longer and allow you to sell for more when that day comes. The decals on our cars at work last app 4-5 years before fading substantially, but they are exposed to all seasons of weather and road salt/grime/etc.

You can probably get it cleaned back up by wet sanding with a very fine grit then get it clear coated. The issue with gelcoat is it is colored resin and it has an impregnated wax that as it dries, the wax rises to the surface. The wax stops it from being tacky as any polyester resin without it will remain tacky for ages. This wax also acts as a clear coat and once you buff through that wax layer, it will oxidize very quickly. Now it is also recommended to not use an automotive type wax rather a polymer. My dad worked on boats for years and the best product he found and swears by is called astro shield.

Theses gotta be somebody up there that wraps.

Unfortunately, red oxidizes the fastest so wrapping might be the key for you. If your shine only lasted 3 months, whoever did the work did not do it properly. There are products and methods that produce quick results but not long lasting results. If you want to go with restoring your gelcoat let us know and we can guide you through the proper method and the best product to use.

Does your boat sit out in the sun 365?

I painted the lower half of the hull on my previous (16.5 ft bass) boat with Awlgrip. It is only for professionals (fresh air system) if sprayed. I used a roll and tip method in my garage. Lots of sand/prep, two primer coats plus another three top coats minimum. It was impressive how it flowed out to a very smooth glossy finish using the roller and brush dipped in reducer, but it still had imperfections and the pot life/climate was very critical. Awlgrip is pretty bulletproof, but you should not leave your boat in water for more than 72 hours or it may blister. If you always trailer and are willing to pay a professional to spray it (and be accountable for the end quality) you may want to consider it. I was happy with how well it held up for me. It is a topside yacht paint. Imron was another option I considered but I preferred Awlgrip for its specific properties and process. If you are not needing to paint the whole hull (below rub rail) I would be interested to try a wrap first. Maybe by the time it wears out you will be ready to move up to a new 242.

Wrapped my for our business. Was about 1k.

Attachments

• 20140530_180300.jpg
    20140530_180300.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for all the advice....The boat is in a lifted covered slip 99% of the time but it's on the end and it's open so the stbd side get's morning sun.

@Murf'n'surf Thanks for that, I was looking for a specific boat wrapping company, I didn't think of just anyone because I thought they would want to have the templates for boats. I'll check with them. If I can get it done for 1K like @cybuch did, I would go that route. Assuming it would last for at least 3-4 years.

@cybuch How long have you had it and how is it holding up?

We have only had it about 4 months and it's holding up very well! The only area that is an issue is where the roller is.

The red on my AR230 is in crappy shape. It was completely ignored for the first 5 years of it's life by the first owner. It was extremely oxidized when we bought it. I had it cleaned up by a fiberglass guy and the decals replaced and it looked factory perfect again....for about 3 months....even though I waxed it like crazy, the chalky look came right back. I keep telling myself I don't really care because it's not about the look, but it would be nice to have it look nice again.

So, repaint or wrap? I like the idea of a wrap but how long will it last? Nobody seems to install them I this area so I would have to do it, is it tough? I don't mind spending a couple grand but I don't want to waste it.

Suck it up, put that couple grand into a fund for a new boat. . . . . and drive the one you have now like you stole it!

Suck it up, put that couple grand into a fund for a new boat. . . . . and drive the one you have now like you stole it!

This one needs to last for about 4 or 5 more years then we'll be ready for something we can spend the weekend on. One daughter will be in college next year and in 5 years the other will be driving and won't have time for us. If Yamaha doesn't make a 30' cabin cruiser by then, we'll be leaving them.

This one needs to last for about 4 or 5 more years then we'll be ready for something we can spend the weekend on. One daughter will be in college next year and in 5 years the other will be driving and won't have time for us. If Yamaha doesn't make a 30' cabin cruiser by then, we'll be leaving them.

I wasn't suggesting making the purchase today. . . . . . save that couple grand for the Cabin Cruiser then. Those bitches are expensive to buy/maintain/shorehaul/store/etc. . . .

I wasn't suggesting making the purchase today. . . . . . save that couple grand for the Cabin Cruiser then. Those bitches are expensive to buy/maintain/shorehaul/store/etc. . . .

That's true. I plan on being independantly wealthy in 5 years....LOL...Fingers crossed that an ebola vaccination formula comes to me in my sleep.

There was a 2004 32ft Sundancer that sold for $10k last year. The keel broke when it fell off the stands during Superstorm Sandy. Insurance covered all the repairs, and the poor bastard died. Family just wanted it gone and listed it ridiculously low. Someone bough it cash the day before I was going to do the same.

@Backwash, how is your wrap holding up? How long has it been on?

There was a 2004 32ft Sundancer that sold for $10k last year. The keel broke when it fell off the stands during Superstorm Sandy. Insurance covered all the repairs, and the poor bastard died. Family just wanted it gone and listed it ridiculously low. Someone bough it cash the day before I was going to do the same.

Whta can't I ever find a deal like that!

Whta can't I ever find a deal like that!
The problem is those deals are out there all the time only we hear about them after they happen and when they do come available you either don't have the time to go make the deal or the cash on hand too make the deal... at least that has been my luck. ;)

Yeah, I was bummed. It was a beautiful boat in and out in the pictures. Twin 454 Mercs, only 220 hours. . . .

I am doing a PARTIAL wrap this week...
I have Gun Metal Flake Hull, with Shadows where the MasterCraft Logo was...
I'm gonna do a Silver Flake Wrap inside the Marking Tape lines... (no harware)
I'll post pics and Final Cost (approx $800)
It does come off and its not a HUGE investment.... we'll see

IMG_9197.JPG Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 8.14.36 AM.png IMG_9276.JPG

Back