• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Y.E.S. - Worth it?

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
IF there's already a thread on this, can someone direct me to it?

Bought a new 2014 SX192 last summer. The included warranty period is ending next month. Should I consider the Yamaha Y.E.S. extended warranty? It's pretty pricey -- which could be a huge profit center for Yamaha or that the warranties are used a lot.

Thoughts?

I bought the 3-year extended on mine and never needed it.

I saw it as an insurance policy against an engine blowing up early due to a manufacturing defect.

Keep in mind that I'd very much rather take care of little things myself than let my boat sit at a dealership for 3 weeks while they touch up some little gel-coat crack (and do a poor job of it to boot).

IMHO I think it's good for two things. 1. Catastrophic engine failure and 2. Resale value. It played heavily in my boat purchase back in 08'. I found two identical boats (on paper and price) 07 AR210's . I looked at the one with the YES warranty first and bought on site. It was much easier to buy used knowing that it had a factory warranty still in place. I agree with @biglar155 , you're better doing the little repairs on your own anyway so don't let that be a deciding factor. Also, back then, you could shop around for better pricing on the YES. It doesn't matter where you buy the warranty from. So you could call a dealership half way across the country and get a better price. Not sure if that's still the case. Good luck with your decision.

N.O.

So let's take blowing an engine as an example. What's a new engine cost?

You arent going to blow an engine. I'd keep my money. If you are getting it for free or massively discounted sure.

Yeah, I figured a blown engine would be worst case. Seems I could replace the engine for the price of coverage. I'm not likely to take it back for warranty work on small stuff. I'm leaning toward "no" unless someone has a really good (data-based) rationale. The peace of mind argument is attractive - but more attractive, frankly, if a number of guys had warranty claims and used YES.

I can still be persuaded - give it a go guys! lol

You arent going to blow an engine. I'd keep my money. If you are getting it for free or massively discounted sure.

2013 242 Limited. Maintained by the book. 44 hours on the clock....starboard engine blown. Six to eight weeks to repair...part of that time was waiting for them to finish replacing one engine on a boat with a little over 100 hours. Engines do blow. I had the extended warranty...lucky for me. Probably you won't need it. If only we had that crystal ball. Like someone said before...helps give a prospective buyer huge piece of mind if you sell the boat.

Back