• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yacht Club or Trailer......

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Alrighty, I need some advice from the experts!

So to paint the picture, we live in a small resort community with a pretty good free launch, as well as a beautiful yacht club with mooring. We currently keep the boat on a trailer at home and launch anytime we want to use the boat, a process that takes about 15-20 minutes as we are a 5 minute, in town drive from the launch and its usually pretty quiet.

This has always been a-ok with me, however, this year the launch has been busier than ever before, the still usually in and out within 15-20 minutes, but not as relaxed as I’m used to by far haha.

So I got to thinking about either building a dock and putting a lift on the shoreline, or maybe buying into our local club which is pretty reasonable (about 5000 to buy my share, which is refunded if I ever leave, and 1200ish a year for mooring). I think I’ve decided the club is the way to go over a dock (we aren't waterfront, so would still have to find a spot and negotiate that as well) by the time I factor in costs to buy the dock and lift, maintain it, take it in and out etc. But I’m still struggling to decide wether the club is worth it.

We generally boat 2-3 times a week (one weeknight, and 2 weekend days, fri/sat or sun). Launching isn’t difficult by any means, but I wouldn’t mind if that wasn’t my problem anymore, just hop in and go.....

The marina is super accommodating, I don’t have to leave the boat in year round, for my use case I am thinking launch i Thursday evening and put it in my slip, then if the weather is nice leave it until monday/tuesday. The marina will remove, wash, and store the boat during the week if I want, or I can do it myself, or just leave it in and remove it a few times a year for cleaning.

also kind of like the idea of joining the club, we’ve lived here a few years and the launch is right down the road from the club, so we see they always have live music, events, Fireworks about 150 boats and lots going on while still being an exclusive club.

so, here is my dilemma, is it worth it....? I am a bit nervous about how the boats in the lake all summer do get green (Fresh water though at least). Also afraid it will be hard for me to be apart from my baby, I treat her like a princess and am worried she will wear and be damaged in the water all the time.....

so, what do the pro’s think? Will it making boating so much more fun that it’s worth leaving it in the water and spending the money?

Yes. Boat in a lift, out in 10 minutes it's worth it. More boating days, and more boating time.

Alrighty, I need some advice from the experts!

So to paint the picture, we live in a small resort community with a pretty good free launch, as well as a beautiful yacht club with mooring. We currently keep the boat on a trailer at home and launch anytime we want to use the boat, a process that takes about 15-20 minutes as we are a 5 minute, in town drive from the launch and its usually pretty quiet.

This has always been a-ok with me, however, this year the launch has been busier than ever before, the still usually in and out within 15-20 minutes, but not as relaxed as I’m used to by far haha.

So I got to thinking about either building a dock and putting a lift on the shoreline, or maybe buying into our local club which is pretty reasonable (about 5000 to buy my share, which is refunded if I ever leave, and 1200ish a year for mooring). I think I’ve decided the club is the way to go over a dock (we aren't waterfront, so would still have to find a spot and negotiate that as well) by the time I factor in costs to buy the dock and lift, maintain it, take it in and out etc. But I’m still struggling to decide wether the club is worth it.

We generally boat 2-3 times a week (one weeknight, and 2 weekend days, fri/sat or sun). Launching isn’t difficult by any means, but I wouldn’t mind if that wasn’t my problem anymore, just hop in and go.....

The marina is super accommodating, I don’t have to leave the boat in year round, for my use case I am thinking launch i Thursday evening and put it in my slip, then if the weather is nice leave it until monday/tuesday. The marina will remove, wash, and store the boat during the week if I want, or I can do it myself, or just leave it in and remove it a few times a year for cleaning.

also kind of like the idea of joining the club, we’ve lived here a few years and the launch is right down the road from the club, so we see they always have live music, events, Fireworks about 150 boats and lots going on while still being an exclusive club.

so, here is my dilemma, is it worth it....? I am a bit nervous about how the boats in the lake all summer do get green (Fresh water though at least). Also afraid it will be hard for me to be apart from my baby, I treat her like a princess and am worried she will wear and be damaged in the water all the time.....

so, what do the pro’s think? Will it making boating so much more fun that it’s worth leaving it in the water and spending the money?
@Whisky boat lift or slip the boat will be fine. If you can ger a lift great if not no big deal - the boat will be fine in the water. Mine has been in for about 4 weeks. Pulled it out once and gave it a wash. Didn't really have to but since it was out, did it. The other day we anchored in about 4 feet of water in a sandy cove. Put on my scuba mask and in about 20 minutes had scrubbed the bottom. Lifetime hull warranty - no worries!

@Whisky.....boat lift or slip the boat will be fine. If you can get a lift great if not no big deal - the boat will be fine in the water. Mine has been in for about 4 weeks. Pulled it out once and gave it a wash. Didn't really have to but since it was out, did it. The other day we anchored in about 4 feet of water in a sandy cove. Put on my scuba mask and in about 20 minutes had scrubbed the bottom. Lifetime hull warranty - no worries! In 2018/19 trailer launched our 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser PWC.....PITA. 2020 Yamaha SX195 at a slip - waaaaay better. Remove cockpit and bow covers and 10 minutes later we're gonnnnnne!

Depending on your body of water the lift may not be optional. One week in my lake is a 5mph speed loss.

Best of luck!

Not a tough decision for me. Towing is not an option. Purchased a lift 2 years ago after just keeping the boat on water in covered wet slip my first 2 years of boat ownership. If , God forbid , the day ever comes that I can't afford slip rental , then the boat and lift will appear here in the "classified" thread !! Had to trailer it back to dealer about 6 weeks ago for BCU error fix & firmware update on Connex then launch again (single handed) when work was completed. You guys that do this each time out are more dedicated boaters than I am.

Last edited:
Not a tough decision for me. Towing is not an option. Purchased a lift 2 years ago after just keeping the boat on water in covered wet slip my first 2 years of boat ownership. If , God forbid , the day ever comes that I can't afford slip rental , then the boat and lift will appear here in the "classified" thread !! Had to trailer it back to dealer about 6 weeks ago for BCU error fix & firmware update on Connex then launch again (single handed) when work was completed. You guys that do this each time out are more dedicated boaters than I am.
@WildCatFan54 ......absolutely! Trailered/launched (and it was only a PWC) 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser for two years. The biggest PITA was waiting for people at launch ramps to launch AND retrieve! Now (thank God) wet slip!!!!

Thank you all for your advice! We went out for some live music and supper at the club yesterday and seeing all of the people lounging on their boats with beer, bbq and music in the background then today it was not quite nice enough to bother launching, but if in a slip I know we would have been out there for a bit then reading oll of these comments we decided we are

Are the slips at the marina covered?

sadly not covered (I wish they were though!), so I will have to practice putting the cover on from inside the boat haha. Also, unfortunately, won’t be able to get a lift, but we will place ourselves on the waiting list and maybe a miracle will happen someday haha.

I’m still coming to terms with the green bottoms and wear of being in the water, but am sure it will all be worth it after a few extra days on the water!

Of those choices I’d definitely slip it. That is a great price, you’ll use the boat even more (how long is your boating season there?), and it sound like it would be easy to pull and clean if you so desire (sounds like a lift could be in your future). There are probably a lot more amenities at the club too.

The is my first year owning a boat and I’m dry stacking it which works out OK - when the marina actually does what they say they’re gonna do. I called them Friday and asked them to drop my boat in this morning - we had some strong storms move through yesterday and I decided to stay home. Got to the marina this morning and my carpet was soaked. The lazy $&@#’s put it in the water yesterday instead of when I asked them to and it sat in the rain all day/night. It does have the Yamaha mooring cover on it at all times but it only stops so much rain.

To me, having it on a covered lift would be the best option. Easy access and protected from the elements. I’m going to look at this option for next season but I’m guessing it will be pretty pricey when the slip and lift are factored in. :-/

Thank you all for your advice! We went out for some live music and supper at the club yesterday and seeing all of the people lounging on their boats with beer, bbq and music in the background then today it was not quite nice enough to bother launching, but if in a slip I know we would have been out there for a bit then reading oll of these comments we decided we are

sadly not covered (I wish they were though!), so I will have to practice putting the cover on from inside the boat haha. Also, unfortunately, won’t be able to get a lift, but we will place ourselves on the waiting list and maybe a miracle will happen someday haha.

I’m still coming to terms with the green bottoms and wear of being in the water, but am sure it will all be worth it after a few extra days on the water!
@Whisky .....the factory Yamaha trailering cover was included in the purchase price of our boat. It is one of the best trailering covers I have ever seen - BUT - there I knew there was no way I could install it while the boat was in the water without killing myself and the Admiral. We purchased the "official" Yamaha cockpit and bow covers from Yamaha and had a local shop install the snaps - AWESOME CHOICE - 15 minutes total from arriving at the boat to having both covers and posts folded and placed under the starboard stern seat. Apart from a bit or rainwater that gets in through the holes around the bimini poles the covers are very, very high quality. I can pull the boat if I want to but I have already cleaned the hull once while anchored in a sandy cove and while work it was fun. If these boats can't sit in the water they aren't boats! There is no way I would have bought that Yamaha, knowing it was going to be wet slipped if I thought doing so would harm it! *****BTW I should add that I hand waxed and hand buffed the hull with copious amounts of Meguiars Flagship marine carnuba wax - which I believe is an excellent barrier wax. When I "wash" it at anchor I use no soap just a brush. Some wet slip mates pull, wash and wax every six weeks or so but I am not there yet - it's a BOAT they are supposed to FLOAT! lol :cool:

The is my first year owning a boat and I’m dry stacking it which works out OK - when the marina actually does what they say they’re gonna do. I called them Friday and asked them to drop my boat in this morning - we had some strong storms move through yesterday and I decided to stay home. Got to the marina this morning and my carpet was soaked. The lazy $&@#’s put it in the water yesterday instead of when I asked them to and it sat in the rain all day/night. It does have the Yamaha mooring cover on it at all times but it only stops so much rain.

To me, having it on a covered lift would be the best option. Easy access and protected from the elements. I’m going to look at this option for next season but I’m guessing it will be pretty pricey when the slip and lift are factored in. :-/
You have the Yamaha $900 mooring cover on at all times but the Yamaha $900 mooring cover doesn’t stop the rain from getting in the boat?? That’s concerning. I brought my brand new AR190 home from the dealer a three or four weeks ago and it’s just been sitting in my driveway since then with the Yamaha $900 mooring cover installed since the salesman installed it at the dealer. So since this $900 cover doesn’t stop rain from getting in I guess I have brand new boat with less than one hour on it with a soaked interior. That’s just fantastic. Sure, why would I expect a brand new $900 boat cover to stop the rain from getting inside. That’s just ridiculous to set my expectations so high. I guess if would have spent $3000 or maybe $5000 on a cover for a 19’ boat my expectations regarding the rain getting in the boat would have been more in line. But for “only” $900 it would be completely unreasonable to expect that the cover would repel rain.

Yeah, I have another boat that I’ve been running that’s why the Yamaha has been sitting.

I just bought a covered slip with a lift at our local yacht club on my lake. It was a little over 20k, and about 450 annually, but man is it convenient. They rent slips for 3200-3500 a year. I figured I could use it as long as I needed, then sell it and get my money back. I don't see myself losing money on the deal....

You have the Yamaha $900 mooring cover on at all times but the Yamaha $900 mooring cover doesn’t stop the rain from getting in the boat?? That’s concerning. I brought my brand new AR190 home from the dealer a three or four weeks ago and it’s just been sitting in my driveway since then with the Yamaha $900 mooring cover installed since the salesman installed it at the dealer. So since this $900 cover doesn’t stop rain from getting in I guess I have brand new boat with less than one hour on it with a soaked interior. That’s just fantastic. Sure, why would I expect a brand new $900 boat cover to stop the rain from getting inside. That’s just ridiculous to set my expectations so high. I guess if would have spent $3000 or maybe $5000 on a cover for a 19’ boat my expectations regarding the rain getting in the boat would have been more in line. But for “only” $900 it would be completely unreasonable to expect that the cover would repel rain.

Yeah, I have another boat that I’ve been running that’s why the Yamaha has been sitting.
@bigwaves .....the "black" colored trailering/mooring cover stops 99% of the rain from getting into our 2020 SX 195. Some rain will always get in around towers, bimini tops etc. even with very expensive custom tops. It is a boat water will not hurt it - it dries fast and Yamahas have good scupper systems that direct water to the bilge where it will be pumped-out if enough accumulates or you pop the drain plugs and it's out. :-)

Pretty sure there’s no water in my boat, except what comes in around the tower brackets. My $900 cover works great, best cover I’ve had. Keep the nose up while parked, just in case. (The lowest part of the boat is not the rear, so it can be tough to drain fully)

@bigwaves .....the "black" colored trailering/mooring cover stops 99% of the rain from getting into our 2020 SX 195. Some rain will always get in around towers, bimini tops etc. even with very expensive custom tops. It is a boat water will not hurt it - it dries fast and Yamahas have good scupper systems that direct water to the bilge where it will be pumped-out if enough accumulates or you pop the drain plugs and it's out. :)
Thanks Canuck! I feel better now. I pictured the interior a breeding ground for mold and other various green/dark green/black organisms thriving in the wetness and heat of the enclosure. There’s an excellent chance that the cover won’t come off until next season since we’re already well into this season. Take that back, I’ll have to take the cover off to winterize.

Back