• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 1800 engines need info

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2011 AR 240 that has bad engines. 1 is a good salvageable core and the other grenaded a rod thru the block. Not sure whats good in that one till I get it out of the boat and assess the situation. My question is, What the best place to get these motors? Obviously a dealer new motor would be optimum, but at close to $10k each, not sure I want to go that route. I called SBT and they said $3300 to $3900 each (with a good core). This is a loaded answer, because I have no clue what they consider a good core. I have priced new cases, and they can cost more that what the motor from them cost. I talked with another guy thats hear on the forum and he gave me some price quotes higher than SBT, wich doesn't scare me if the motors are built right. He doesnt seem to care much about the cores and said he may give me a few bucks for them if he can use any parts. I just want to know if there are any other options or avenues to explore before I pull the trigger. I even thought about buying complete jet skis for the motors and parting them out. What say you? Thanks

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious, how does Someone blow two engines? That’s almost unheard of!!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No used engines available, not common to blow and with wrecked boats there could be a market somewhere for them.
But a rod through the side is a bad core. Call sbt and ask what credit they will give for what you have

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious, how does Someone blow two engines? That’s almost unheard of!!
left drain plug out and boat sunk to right about engine intake, then the dude tried starting them both in a panic. Hydrolocked one and thru a rod. The other just got fresh water inside of it. It actually still runs, but at this point I want both motors replaced or gone thru. The rest of the boat looks great.
I got the boat for the right price, so i'm not worried, but definatly want to go thru the motors.

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow that’s a bad day! Good luck on getting it going

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No used engines available, not common to blow and with wrecked boats there could be a market somewhere for them.
But a rod through the side is a bad core. Call sbt and ask what credit they will give for what you have
I did, and they said they might be able to use some parts, but will have to see it. I'm 3000 miles away on the west coast. I don't mind shipping, but looking for options just to see what's out there. I would buy new, if the prices were a little more reasonable. I can get bigger cc 4 cylinder engines for allot less from from other sources, just getting all my information gathered.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow that’s a bad day! Good luck on getting it going
for the other dude maybe, but he got an insurance check out of the deal!! I think the repairs are over his head. He wanted to pay a shop to do the work, but they are busy and cant get to it right away, so he wants another boat before the end of the season. Me , I have time and ability, so I'm not worried, plus I still have my other boat! I did post it up and got about 7 inquiries within the first 24 hours, so we'll see how it all works out.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s your current status? Did you get a replacement motor?

i am still dealing with a milky oil issue, curious what you found. I only have one motor, need to do compression test. But trying to look at worst case scenarios and best place to get motors from.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s your current status? Did you get a replacement motor?

i am still dealing with a milky oil issue, curious what you found. I only have one motor, need to do compression test. But trying to look at worst case scenarios and best place to get motors from.
I have a motor lined up out of Vermont, just waiting on the shipping. I went on SBT's website and at the bottom of the page was a link to salvage yards. I called all of them until I found one with a motor.
So, I was lucky. Both motor in the boat took on water, and when I purchased the boat, I was planning on replacing both engines. It turns out that one of the motors was still good. I was able to do multiple oil changes and get the milky oil out. It runs perfect. I bought an electric oil pump from amazon for $20 and it was the best thing ever. It took about a week and at least 5 oil changes, but the oil is super clear now and the motor runs flawlessly. Here are the pictures of the other scattered motor.20200906_154250.jpg20200906_154254.jpg20200906_154301.jpg20200906_154308.jpg20200906_154315.jpg20200906_154321.jpg

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, I have done a few oil changes already and the milky seems to have come back, but it never got fully clear so I am planning to do a few more oil changes. I was feeling under the motor and could not find a drain plug anywhere. With the motor out have you been able to confirm there is one and the exact location of it? If this doesn’t work next is compression test to see if head gasket is blown. Motor still runs fine just seems to have a sluggish start.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, I have done a few oil changes already and the milky seems to have come back, but it never got fully clear so I am planning to do a few more oil changes. I was feeling under the motor and could not find a drain plug anywhere. With the motor out have you been able to confirm there is one and the exact location of it? If this doesn’t work next is compression test to see if head gasket is blown. Motor still runs fine just seems to have a sluggish start.
Best money I ever spent!! Make sure you really spin and twist the pickup tube to make sure it goes as deep in the pan as it can.
No drain plug on the oil pan. Kind of a stupid design, but what do I know!!
I went and bought 3 gallons of the cheapest oil I could get and a couple of oil filters. I would do at least 2 changes and then a filter. Until the it got clear and then used Yamalube and a brand new factory filter for the last change. I also put new spark plugs in. It was a long and tedious process, but it saved me a ton of money. Keep your battery on a tender as well. Was yours submerged in fresh or salt water?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best money I ever spent!! Make sure you really spin and twist the pickup tube to make sure it goes as deep in the pan as it can.
No drain plug on the oil pan. Kind of a stupid design, but what do I know!!
I went and bought 3 gallons of the cheapest oil I could get and a couple of oil filters. I would do at least 2 changes and then a filter. Until the it got clear and then used Yamalube and a brand new factory filter for the last change. I also put new spark plugs in. It was a long and tedious process, but it saved me a ton of money. Keep your battery on a tender as well. Was yours submerged in fresh or salt water?
Fresh water but was not submerged.
I rented it out for two seasons.
One of my renters said the ski locker had an oil residue in it, I didn’t think much about it because on the last oil change, maybe 10 hours before i had spilt some so I just figured I didn’t get it all cleaned up. I sprayed down the engine compartment and ski locker with dawn soap and water. A couple days later I took the boat out for my self and decided to check the oil. When I popped the hatch I noticed the dipstick wasn’t in all the way and the oil was milky. I assumed I sprayed water in and didn’t realize it. But it seems that the milkyness is progressing I have done multiple oil changes and it’s still there and seems worse now than before. I also had a water leak and couldnt figure it out for a while, but that has now been resolved so just need to figure the milkyness out. And I have a perfectly good boat! Lol.

Drag

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a motor lined up out of Vermont, just waiting on the shipping. I went on SBT's website and at the bottom of the page was a link to salvage yards. I called all of them until I found one with a motor.
So, I was lucky. Both motor in the boat took on water, and when I purchased the boat, I was planning on replacing both engines. It turns out that one of the motors was still good. I was able to do multiple oil changes and get the milky oil out. It runs perfect. I bought an electric oil pump from amazon for $20 and it was the best thing ever. It took about a week and at least 5 oil changes, but the oil is super clear now and the motor runs flawlessly. Here are the pictures of the other scattered motor.View attachment 133478View attachment 133479View attachment 133480View attachment 133481View attachment 133482View attachment 133484
Wow!! That’s awesome. I always wanted to see what a block looks like after trying to run it on a water/fuel mixture instead of air/fuel.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow!! That’s awesome. I always wanted to see what a block looks like after trying to run it on a water/fuel mixture instead of air/fuel.
If there was a way to get oil through it, this engine would still run on 3 cylinders. The rotating assembly is still good, the broken rod end just created air conditioning for the block!!! This is the new aircooled version of yamaha!!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Such a depressing morning....got everything to the boat to start doing the oil changes. Sourced everything local since I’m out of town I did have my oil pump with me...go to start pumping and the pump has failed and won’t create a suction....ordered that electric pump and will have to change the oil after we get back home. Was really wanting to do it here since I’m sitting in a slip and everything is already level.

7680B492-80CA-4048-BE43-9C8D66129568.jpegFA36162B-29D8-48F8-A66C-001E682A094D.jpeg

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Such a depressing morning....got everything to the boat to start doing the oil changes. Sourced everything local since I’m out of town I did have my oil pump with me...go to start pumping and the pump has failed and won’t create a suction....ordered that electric pump and will have to change the oil after we get back home. Was really wanting to do it here since I’m sitting in a slip and everything is already level.

View attachment 133563View attachment 133564
remember to really fish the end of the tube as far in as you can. I was able to get almost the full 4 quarts out. When I thought it was done, I tried again and got a little more out. It takes forever, but it does work. I think I did 5-6 complete changes with 3 oil filters before it was not milky anymore.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
still waiting on a motor. I am getting antsy!! Anyone have any lines on an 1800 motor? The one I have lined up is taking a long time. I guess everyone is busy right now!!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had very low compression and no pressure holding got leak down. Boats at dealer with plan for rebuild. Waiting on insurance claim to go through.