• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 2009 212SS

SimonG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Can anybody help , I have a Yamaha 212ss (2009) with 300 hours on the clock , just been for maintenance as I had vibration from the Starboard engine, turns out the impeller was touching the housing. The housing was polished and was ok for a while, but now when I accelerate above around 6000 rpm the port rpm jumps up to around 8000 rpm and I need about 9000 to get on the plane !

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anybody help , I have a Yamaha 212ss (2009) with 300 hours on the clock , just been for maintenance as I had vibration from the Starboard engine, turns out the impeller was touching the housing. The housing was polished and was ok for a while, but now when I accelerate above around 6000 rpm the port rpm jumps up to around 8000 rpm and I need about 9000 to get on the plane !
Any chance you could pull the pump to inspect the wear ring? Otherwise - you may be able to stick a phone camera inside - through the intake, or cleanout port.
Are you in salt?
Sounds like you have cavitation, it could be that your wear ring developed a perforation and the pump is sucking air. The OEM wear rings have a thin SS liner that can buckle with time due to galvanic corrosion - those wear rings have an aluminum body.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
was it the mechanic who diagnosed it with impeller touching housing disease or did you do that?

I would agree with Swatski that it sounds more like a cavitation issue and I would also check the edges of you impellers for dings or how the silicone looks in the forward portion of the intake housing, that can come loose and as you accelerate and create more suction it pulls the silicone away from the hull allowing air in

Update you profile with your location so we know where you're at.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure to look at our FAQ tab at the top of the page for lots of great tips and troubleshooting ideas