• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

yamaha 212 engine bay filled with water

FWIW, if things start looking pretty bad, also check into insurance coverage. I believe the scupper failure and subsequent engine damage might be covered under a boat insurance policy.

First, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
Quick update.
I moved the boat out of the garage yesterday, and changed the plugs(after cranking it multiple times to make sure there was no substantial water coming in. Left Engine started, no problem. Ran a hose on it for about 5 minutes just to make sure it stayed on. Good to go.
Right engine turned over, then died. Took the plugs back out, cranked it, a ton of water shot out of all 4 cylinders. I panicked. I guess the difference in incline shifted water that was still in the engine. Cranked it multiple times to get as much water out as I could. Reset the plugs.
It started. Even without the hose on, there was quite a bit of water exiting the back. Turned the hose on, ran it for 5 minutes. Turned it off, let it sit for about 10 minutes. Went back out, started right back up, ran the hose on it for another 5 minutes. turned it off (had to leave).
Checked the oil and it still seems fine(although I know i didn't really give it a test). However, there was a quite a bit of smoke coming out from the back of the boat while that engine was running. I didn't get an overheat warning. Curious as to whether that should be expected or if there is a deeper problem now inside the engine that I need to get looked at. Local yamaha service shop is 45 minutes away and 4 weeks backed up.
I have a stainless steel scupper arriving tomorrow, so hopefully i can replace that and get the boat out to run it through a harder test.
Just really worried about taking it on the water if the engine is smoking for whatever reason.
Again, thank you ALL for the input. I would say I would have at least one bad engine by now if it wasn't for this board.
I think that is steam. I would do as @ anmut has suggested so that it will keep drying out.

how fast did you get towed in ? do you have tow valves or have the cooling hose clamped off?

if the water never got to the top of the engines I would guess you just had cooling water back up into the engine, with that much water and the boat sitting lower it I would guess it would take even less energy to push that water into the engine,

anyways,
best thing for you and the boat is to get those engines running asap, the longer and hotter the better

I know you are tired of us telling you all the things to do but getting those engines hot is really important right now. If you can make the time spray down the point where the wire harness enters the stator (at the front of the engine) with WD-40. Perhaps all the electric harnesses, also. Keep us posted. It is worth putting some effort into this.

And running for 5 or 10 minutes is good. But these puppies need to be run for like 30+ min. Out on the water WOT if you can do it.

YES! If I recall correctly, 10,000 rpm for that amount of time will get the engines to about 210 degrees F. Keep an eye on the oil and don't just shut it down. Roll for a few minutes at about 7000 rpm to bring the temps down before idling.

If you get a alarm , don't freak out and just DO NOT turn off the engines without turning the water off first. Engine on then water on, Water off the engine off
The order of, engine off, then water off and engine on then water on seems counterintuitive, what is the reason that we should do it this way?

The order of, engine off, then water off and engine on then water on seems counterintuitive, what is the reason that we should do it this way?
That is not the correct order so I understand why that seems counterintuitive. It is Engines on, then water on. Water off, then engines off. This is so the engines are running when the water is introduced and will pump it through the system. If the water goes in first, nothing pumps it through. Hopefully this helps.

Back