• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 240 For Surfing

Ed Sieffert

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey all,

I am new to the forum. I have had stern drives all my life and just want a change. Can i get some feedback on the Yamaha 24 ft models for surfing? All my friends have Wakesetters so I can always go with them, but it might be nice to be able to go with my boat.

I'll take some general feedback on surfing and the Yamaha in general. thanks, Ed

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That video is of me testing the wake wedge last year. I have about 900lbs of ballast ballast plumbed in next to motor and under seat. Then around 650lbs in skilocker. then put 400lbs bag on swim platform. if I have enough people on board then there is no bags need on top of the port side seats and if it's just me, wife and kids then I usually put a 400lbs on seat or sometimes I will put a 750!! But usually with the 750 it is leaning so much the water when underway is actually going over the fuel cap so I then have to have every body sit on other side to help out. I am a big guyand weigh about 270 and can go ropeless for a little bit. Just need to loose some weight and I should be able to go longer. Have a cousin that is around 200 and went for a long time. This winter I am having a custom bag made for under the seat and hoping to get around 1100lbs so I won't have to worry about the bag on seat. I actually have a hose plumped to the back so I don't have to fill it manually. All I do is keep the straps back there and fill it as we go. Then when done I empty it and it just stays back there. We keep our boat on a lift so need to remove to trailer. With it entry I can still open hatch to pull clean out plugs. Also have the wedge where I can control it from inside the boat so I don't have to manually adjust when not using it. I am still testing and hope to have a kit available soon. Will post more in a separate thread when I am done with pictures and videos

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That video is of me testing the wake wedge last year. I have about 900lbs of ballast ballast plumbed in next to motor and under seat. Then around 650lbs in skilocker. then put 400lbs bag on swim platform. if I have enough people on board then there is no bags need on top of the port side seats and if it's just me, wife and kids then I usually put a 400lbs on seat or sometimes I will put a 750!! But usually with the 750 it is leaning so much the water when underway is actually going over the fuel cap so I then have to have every body sit on other side to help out. I am a big guyand weigh about 270 and can go ropeless for a little bit. Just need to loose some weight and I should be able to go longer. Have a cousin that is around 200 and went for a long time. This winter I am having a custom bag made for under the seat and hoping to get around 1100lbs so I won't have to worry about the bag on seat. I actually have a hose plumped to the back so I don't have to fill it manually. All I do is keep the straps back there and fill it as we go. Then when done I empty it and it just stays back there. We keep our boat on a lift so need to remove to trailer. With it entry I can still open hatch to pull clean out plugs. Also have the wedge where I can control it from inside the boat so I don't have to manually adjust when not using it. I am still testing and hope to have a kit available soon. Will post more in a separate thread when I am done with pictures and videos
@rocknracing - I have a '13 242 and am looking at setting it up for wake surfing. For yours, it sounds like you have 900lbs(or more now) in the engine compartment towards the far back corner - is that correct? If so, would there be a benefit to adding some under the seat behind port side batteries and how much would you recommend? I'd like to make all(or at least most) of it internal and automatic. After that, what would you recommend - swim platform or ski locker or both? I'll have a wake wedge also...

Thanks!

rocknracing

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Belteddeep the 900lbs is next to motor and under port side seat which is not quite enough even with the 650 in ski locker and 400 on swim platform. We usually need another 400 on top of seat. After a lot of testing last year with different setups I am having a custom bag made that will fill the entire compartment on the port side along with the batteries and it will hold around 1300lbs which will eliminate the 400 bag on seat. I still will use the one on swim platform. Wake wedge is a must!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is adding all that weight really the only solution? :( If so, that's unfortunate for the 'occasional' wake setting crowd. I generally will only be setting wakes for my Jet skis and an occasional wake boarder.
I was hoping to see a cool add-on that mimics/simulates a deep 'trim' setting.
Come to think of it, I wonder why there is no trim setting on these boats. My Kawi 300x has a reasonably functional one, and that boat only ran me $13k new. I'm sure there is a reason but just wondering out loud.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
rsg1963 - these folks are talking about wake surfing, not wakeboarding. I don't think you'd really need to do anything in order to pull occasional wakeboarders. Wake surfing, on the other hand, requires a pretty large wake and is done at 10.5 - 12 mph. In short, adding displacement to the hull by bringing aboard as much weight as possible and distributed properly is necessary to achieve a surfable wake. That doesn't only apply to these boats, but also to dedicated wake boats. For instance, the MB Sports F22 I'm getting has built in capacity to handle 5,000 lbs of additional water weight (i.e. ballast) in hard tanks below the floor and bags in the lockers on either side of the engine.

Trim for these boats sounds great but apparently isn't an option. I suspect that it would be far less effective on a boat this size than it is on a ski and would more likely result in a rooster tail than driving the stern significantly deeper into the water.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info Orange, and thank you for clarifying. I just want to throw a decent wake for jumping and so far 11 MPH is the speed for the deepest wake so far (still under 10 hours experience on this boat). Ugh. And the trim info makes sense, just a bummer that's how it has to be. Thanks again!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wave behind my 14' AR240HO 750lb on top tier of swim deck [starboard], 400 in ski locker, 400 under port seat, 700 under Starboard seat, and about 800 in human ballast. . . . . And MOST importantly a wake wedge.