• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 242X Max Capacity

Peter Dunn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a 2017 - 242X using ballast system the wake is just barely surf-able.

I noticed on the
"Wakesurfing Behind the New Yamaha 242X E-Series Boat" video they click Fill All - 1700 lbs, have two 450 lbs Sumo Sacks (1 in the rear and one in the front) and 125 lbs bag behind the passenger seat. This puts the boat at 2725 lbs before adding the 2 passengers (1 Adult Male - ~200 lbs) & (1 Adult Female ~120 lbs). For a total weight of over 3000 lbs excluding the weight of additional equipment (boards,anchor, safety equipment, etc). This boat would likely be around 450 lbs over capacity.

Looking for some guidance here, is it reasonable safe to load this boat in this manner?

Thanks,
Peter

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Shoot, I have 3250 pounds of ballast in my ( old ) boat just in water weight.

JCwake.jpg

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read that Yamaha's weaker factory ballast system is so they stay under weight capacity for legal reasons, but how does a traditional similarly sized wakeboat offer a more robust factory ballast? Do they just ignore the legal aspects?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wake wedged and 2400lbs of water ballast listed to port om my AR240HO. . . Along with dual batteries and half tank of fuel and about 500lbs of people/gear. Never had an issue.

For reference I am 6'3" and riding near the middle of the wave.

20170808_153109.png

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read that Yamaha's weaker factory ballast system is so they stay under weight capacity for legal reasons, but how does a traditional similarly sized wakeboat offer a more robust factory ballast? Do they just ignore the legal aspects?
What legal aspects? At least in Texas it's not illegal to operate above capacity. Now you might have a negligent argument but as we are cruising along with 2,200 lbs of ballast and a boat full of people and doing so safely then that would be a difficult argument.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know. The consensus argument that I have read here is that the Yamaha factory ballast in their X models aren't enough, but Yamaha does that for legal reasons. I assumed it's because there could be some liability producing a boat that would be over the limit with stock ballast.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know. The consensus argument that I have read here is that the Yamaha factory ballast in their X models aren't enough, but Yamaha does that for legal reasons. I assumed it's because there could be some liability producing a boat that would be over the limit with stock ballast.
Yamaha could have some liability if they were found negligent and I guess in some states you might get a ticket for operating over capacity but there are many that you won't...that was my point. You could get cited for reckless boating or similar I guess but might be difficult to stick. You could also have some personal liability if something happened to someone else and they could prove you were negligent, but that is the case with everything. I guess there is a basic reasonableness bar....like not surfing in high wind, waves etc., and not surfing loaded up on the way to Bimini....:)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know if there is law against going over the weight limit. I was looking a new Centurion Ri217 the other day and it comes with 5,000lbs of ballast! The boat weighs 5,350 dry. With ballast, people, gear, etc the weight could be up to 6,500-7,000 lbs. No way that's under the recommended limit.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha could have some liability if they were found negligent and I guess in some states you might get a ticket for operating over capacity but there are many that you won't...that was my point. You could get cited for reckless boating or similar I guess but might be difficult to stick. You could also have some personal liability if something happened to someone else and they could prove you were negligent, but that is the case with everything. I guess there is a basic reasonableness bar....like not surfing in high wind, waves etc., and not surfing loaded up on the way to Bimini....:)
If that's the case then why doesn't Yamaha offer more than 1700 lbs of ballast? Costs?

Peter Dunn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the information,

Good to see a couple of normal sized people surfing some great looking wakes. What type of wake wedges are you using?

Regards,
Peter

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a good explanation about a boats weight capacity.

http://www.mmwatersports.com/boat-service/how-much-ballast-is-safe/
While I don't doubt the facts of the rating system I don't agree with the conclusion of do what we do (it is a Centurion/Supreme Blog, not a disinterested 3rd party) or your other brand boat that doesn't do what we do will sink. I have experience with standards organizations and there is a lot of good that can come out of them, but there is also the bad. At the end of the day the NMMA is in it to perpetuate themselves to some degree. While they are a non-profit they have folks that make huge salaries. The president made $2.4M in 2015. There is a pay to play aspect and I'm sure some strong arming. This doesn't totally discount everything that they do around standards, but just some context.

Of course there can be too much weight, especially in rough conditions. I've seen several boats "sink" (what some would call sink) and none of them had ballast. They got caught on pop up storm and extremely rough water and got swamped. I'm sure there are overloaded boats that get swamped. Once you've decided you are going to use ballast and assume the risk (life is a risk) you use best judgement. For some that might be stay under weight rating, others may choose based on their experience to use more, others may choose to not do any water sports at all.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When you get down to something like this, it's probably time to stop. Until then, you're good. ;)

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are some other photos...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Good to see a couple of normal sized people surfing some great looking wakes. What type of wake wedges are you using?

Regards,
Peter
For wake wedge made for these boats see @jcyamaharider

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Regards,
Peter
The Wake Wedge. See my sig. The only way to surf behind a Yamaha jet boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup. It totally transformed @Bill D wave and cleared up all the jet wash on the surf side.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The wedge only works when you remember to bring it to the lake. :(