• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR 230 (2008)

CRAIG STEFICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My depth finder went out. Is this an easy fix? The screen works it just doesn’t register the depth. Any thoughts?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The transducer may be flipped up, broken off or otherwise disabled.

I replaced the factory depth gauge with a new, upgraded model from the same manufacturer. It functioned inconsistently. I replaced the depth function when I added a chart plotter and filled the hole in the dash with a voltage gauge.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you dont want to go factory or to a chart plotter, I just replaced mine with a Hummingbird HDR650. the mounting was similar enough that i was able to reuse the original screw holes. The connector on the hummingbird even fit through the hole for the original one. not a single new hole drilled. just cleaned off/out the old sealant and resealed everything with 5200 when i put the new one in.

CRAIG STEFICK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome. Looks like the factory is not the way to go. I’ll look into this one. Thanks for the help!

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome. Looks like the factory is not the way to go. I’ll look into this one. Thanks for the help!
One more thing. I didnt have the right tool to pull up the fuel tank hatch and couldnt get mine to fish through with the old wire. The wire on the HDR650 was long enough to run it through the engine bay then to the right under the seats and up to the console there and still tie up nicely out of the way to the other things up under the bench backrest on the right side.

Dropped74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So
If you dont want to go factory or to a chart plotter, I just replaced mine with a Hummingbird HDR650. the mounting was similar enough that i was able to reuse the original screw holes. The connector on the hummingbird even fit through the hole for the original one. not a single new hole drilled. just cleaned off/out the old sealant and resealed everything with 5200 when i put the new one in.

are you saying the transducer even fit well in the old hole as well? How has it worked for you. Is it more accurate than what people say the original one was? Thanks for your response.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, are you saying the transducer even fit well in the old hole as well? How has it worked for you. Is it more accurate than what people say the original one was? Thanks for your response.
I would not reuse the original holes. Fill them with marine epoxy. Let it cure then drill new holes. Use marine sealant when installing the new screws.

As for a Hummingbird that is a personal decision that should be based on intended usage. For my usage chart plotting is the priority.

As for accuracy you would likely want a unit that allows for setting an offset of how far the transducer is below the water line. At speed a transducer in the factory location is likely to loose function either due to coming out of the water or turbulence.