• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR210 MFI Trailer axle replacement, can't find the axle... HELP!

Spincycle76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I replaced the bearings and seals on my boat trailer last summer, and found there was pitting pretty bad on the front axle. I am planning to replace it and the other axle, as I want the newer grease system and hubs and axles that are going to give me the best performance. I have had the issues since I bought the boat of it vibrating at speed for a bit and then nothing for a while, and am thinking it is the axle.

So I measured the axle and found hub face to hub face is 93-3/4", Spring center to spring center is 74", brake flange to brake flange is 87-7/8", 6"spring outside edge to the brake flange and 3" from the brake flange to the hub face. I have not found any axles that measure like this. I would find it a bit hard to believe this is a custom axle, as I would think that for manufacture they would want to keep them at a common size. Am I measuring something wrong? Has anyone replaced the axle, and if so can you let me know what you purchased? At close to 500 bucks for a custom axle I don't want to get the sizing wrong.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I replaced the bearings and seals on my boat trailer last summer, and found there was pitting pretty bad on the front axle. I am planning to replace it and the other axle, as I want the newer grease system and hubs and axles that are going to give me the best performance. I have had the issues since I bought the boat of it vibrating at speed for a bit and then nothing for a while, and am thinking it is the axle.

So I measured the axle and found hub face to hub face is 93-3/4", Spring center to spring center is 74", brake flange to brake flange is 87-7/8", 6"spring outside edge to the brake flange and 3" from the brake flange to the hub face. I have not found any axles that measure like this. I would find it a bit hard to believe this is a custom axle, as I would think that for manufacture they would want to keep them at a common size. Am I measuring something wrong? Has anyone replaced the axle, and if so can you let me know what you purchased? At close to 500 bucks for a custom axle I don't want to get the sizing wrong.
Can you post a picture of the pitting?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the pitting on the machined bearing surface? And if so, will it actually affect how the bearings sit/ride? Reason I ask, it’s not uncommon for there to be rough sections on spindles, from where the original casting was just small enough that it didn’t get machined smooth. Also, you mentioned vibration… I wouldn’t expect it to be the axle, bearings, or hubs. That’s usually tire related. Out of balance, or flat spots from sitting, which usually smooth out after a few miles. Anyway, as mentioned, pics would help.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Is the pitting on the machined bearing surface? And if so, will it actually affect how the bearings sit/ride? Reason I ask, it’s not uncommon for there to be rough sections on spindles, from where the original casting was just small enough that it didn’t get machined smooth. Also, you mentioned vibration… I wouldn’t expect it to be the axle, bearings, or hubs. That’s usually tire related. Out of balance, or flat spots from sitting, which usually smooth out after a few miles. Anyway, as mentioned, pics would help.
Even if there is pitting or scoring, as long as there isn't excessive wear and the bearing has sufficient fit, it's good. In the case of galling, you can clean that up until the bearing can be slipped back on. Perception isn't always the reality.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, I agree just pitting is no issue, even on the actual bearing surface, but I don’t want to discount it too soon, as people’s interpretation of pitting can vary. We sell and service trailers at work, we’ve cleaned up our fair share of spindles from all sorts of issues. That said, people are usually a little more particular about boat trailers than the average trailer you see on the road.

Spincycle76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The pitting is pretty wide spread and as deep as at least 1/8", probably a little more in spots.

The vibration occurs all the time throughout a trip, even on long trips (600+) miles. Like when I hit a bump, or a even just out of the blue it shudders enough that there is a noticeable shake in my truck.

Also one of the bearing buddies is no longer staying tight in the hub, so thought starting over may be the best route. I could be wrong in that thought though. I just hate to start replacing parts at a time to end up at the same end point in the end.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first time I pulled my 230 it shook like that, I didn’t have it cranked up tight enough to the bow roller. After I tightened it up it never shook like that🤷‍♂️

Spincycle76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The first time I pulled my 230 it shook like that, I didn’t have it cranked up tight enough to the bow roller. After I tightened it up it never shook like that🤷‍♂️
I don't believe that is my issue, it is very tight to the bow roller, could maybe play a tune on the winch line it is so tight.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve had to replace two axles in the last three years, one on my 2010 mfi boat trailer and another on my dual place 2006 FE Pwc trailer both axles are about the same length. The. boat trailer axle i had made through pacific trailer for around $200. The pwc trailer axle I bought online from northern tool and electric (I think) for about $120. I’m sure these prices have gone up due to Covid.

im not expert but I doubt your vibration problems Have anything to do with the pitting you are experiencing. More likely your tires are not properly inflated/out of balance or one or both spindles are tweaked/out of alignment.

on the bright side of you do end up replacing an axle atleast it is of the standard non-torsion type . So cheaper and easier to get, at least when I was in the market.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I don't believe that is my issue, it is very tight to the bow roller, could maybe play a tune on the winch line it is so tight.
I would take a good look at the tires. Look for a separation, bulging, out of round etc.

Spincycle76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would take a good look at the tires. Look for a separation, bulging, out of round etc.
I have not noticed anything on the tires at all. I also at least have to get a new hub, because the bearing budding is not staying in place it is loose. I just figured replacing that would be starting to add up to add to an old axle.