• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR240 house battery life

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know how long the house battery will last if anchored out listening to music? I have not upgraded my speakers yet, will do that when I find a reputable installer. In the meantime, if I wanted to add a battery, does anyone have a picture of diagram of how to do that? Planning on some long days at the island and will definitely want music.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My stock battery on stock set up lasted all day 5-6 different days (5-6 hours) I had to get battery charger/tender after I installed a amp.

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you leave the starter and house battery on? When I have the house battery on and the start battery off, connext yells at me.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya, as long as everything wired correctly it’s not a problem to leave it on. Like you said, you pretty much have to unless you want the damn thing beeping all day. I’m paranoid and like to know how much juice I got left on the house for tunes, I occasionally glance at the voltages throughout the day.

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How low can the voltage go before it’s considered “dead”

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How low can the voltage go before it’s considered “dead”
There are some good threads on here about batteries, google is good to if you want some knowledge. I’m probably not the best suited to answer but 12v is usually about dead. I think the alarm went off at 11.5. Problem is your not getting a entirely accurate reading on screen. There is some voltage loss in the wires and from other items pulling power. You also have to consider amps which play a factor if a battery is dead. Voltage is best compared to pressure, amps would be your flow.

Best advice is to get a battery charger/tender. I got a Noko 2 bank smart charger for something around $150 bucks on amazon. Its got some fancy technology to keep your batteries charged and recharged in away that extends the batteries life. These boats have stators and they just don’t have the power to top off a battery like a car alternator does.

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. I’m not savvy when it comes to batteries and wiring. The on screen battery life rarely goes above 12v but another person responding that their battery lasts several hours.

Nfinlay1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please don’t do this....but I bought my 2017 AR240 in August 2017, it came with two starter batteries. I NEVER charged them, like ever. Winterized and didn’t remove them the winter of 17-18. Got on the boat in April 2018 and the boat fired right up. Didn’t charge them once the whole season, again, winterized in 18-19 without charging. Got on the boat in April 2019 and the boat fired right up. SAME DEAL for 19-20...May 2020 boat fired right up. Now don’t get me wrong, I was having the house drop to 11.8 early this season so I started to do some research....I replaced the house with a AGM, kept the stock start battery (it tested good) and now I pull the house every few weeks and take it home to charge (no power at marina - looking into solar).

We generally sit at the sandbar for hours with music on...I feel super lucky that we didn’t get stuck with a dead battery once in those ~3 seasons.

PLEASE DON’T BE LIKE ME.

Also, invest in a jump pack. They are so cheap and it gives you some peace of mind out there.

FYI - We were out for 12 hours 4th of July and ran the house battery that whole time, I was at 12.3v when we left to head home. With the stock sound system you can run these batteries for a LONG time.

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you deeply discharge the battery, don't forget to check the electrolyte level and add distilled water when required.

12.0v (measured at the battery) with all loads off is the minimum practical resting voltage for discharge without damaging the battery. How long depends on the size of your battery and the amp draw of the stereo. Is your house a "marine hybrid" or a starting battery? Starting batteries should never be deeply discharged. If it's a hybrid or deep cycle, it will have a 20 hour rate published ie: 60Ah.

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The house battery is deep cycle

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get a jump pack & never worry again.
Worst case, quick jump and recharge it underway.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get a jump pack & never worry again.
Worst case, quick jump and recharge it underway.
...funny thing. Have never needed it, but have tossed it to 3 other boats to save their day, and once to a tow vehicle for their dead battery.