• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha Boat Cover - Fabric Repair

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a small, 2-3" tear in my OEM Yamaha boat cover. Has anyone used any marine fabric repair to successfully patch up a tear? I see an Attwood kit on Amazon and other sites that has positive reviews. The color will not be perfect but I use this top year round and the boat is stored outside. It does a great job and fixing a tear once in awhile is better than the $500 replacement that will serve the same purpose.

Any recommendations or ideas?

I would take it to a local upholstery shop and have a color matching patch sewed in.

I think when it goes, I will just buy a new cover. For now, I am definitely interested in the DIY approach. I should have mentioned that this is a 2001 LS2000

I have used the attwood kit. It works pretty well. You just have to make sure the area in question is clean or the patch won't stick very well. It bought me another year of use, but I am due for a new cover at this point.

Why not duck tape?

I used an Attwood product and it worked ok. But after awhile it just ripped where it attached to the old.

Two years ago I needed to do a quick repair to my bow cover before leaving on a week long vacation with the boat. This is how I did it mainly because we had the supplies on hand - stitch the tear using a thread that matches the color of the cover and then add an iron on patch (like those to patch jeans) to the back side (inside of the cover). Make sure the patch is quite a bit larger than the tear. The repair will look minimal from the outside and should hold up well. Since I have done this, I have traveled with the cover numerous times (over 500 miles) and the patch appears to be holding up well.

I really depends on the condition. If fairly new, I would get a patch sewn on. I've used iron on patch, and tape. I'm on second cover. If your cover is weathered to where is dusty or turning to dust then the patch or tape is a very short term fix. May be good to just use for storage but driving with cover would be dicey.

Back