• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Clean Outs...

ysidive

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always have water full to the top of the clean out plugs when I take the boat out of the water after an afternoon of cruising... Is this normal or are my clean out plugs leaking and need to be rebuilt...? I was wondering if anyone else has this same thing happening....

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Completely normal.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My strb is always full of water, port sometimes.

maoneal1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Same on my new SX195 so assume it is normal. Pull the plug and out it goes. Boat runs great.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I always have water full to the top of the clean out plugs when I take the boat out of the water after an afternoon of cruising... Is this normal or are my clean out plugs leaking and need to be rebuilt...? I was wondering if anyone else has this same thing happening....
Used to see this from quick stops as the wake washes over the upper level of the swim platform. Now I just ease off plane and the plugs are virtually dry when we trailer the boat. I pull them to drain out the plugs themselves and every couple of weeks give them a shot of silicone spray to keep them supple.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It gets there from the drain of the clean out tray. There is no check valve on the drain hose so when you come off plane water rushes under the swim platform and up into the cleanout tray drain hose which dumps water on top of the plugs. There are discussions on this. It’s normal.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Normal. The clean outs are invaluable! Over Labor Day weekend, running back upstream on the Ohio River at around 35 MPH, 8k RPM the boat makes an awful sound. Hard to describe, but it was an awful metallic resonance, a mean, metal buzzing - stand the hair up on the back of your neck sound. I came off throttles and then goosed each individual and concluded it was just the port side.

Popped open the hatch, pulled the port plug and pulled out what looked like a bottle cap - a big one, like the top on a gallon of vinegar or bleach. It was compressed and had a slice line on it and was right there at the top of the clean out plug. I plucked it, put the plug back in and off we went.

This was the first time I have ever had to use the clean outs functionally on the water and I'm grateful I didn't have to jump into the dirty river and gos plunking around underneath the boat.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has done it from day 1. Always full after going out.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I always have water full to the top of the clean out plugs when I take the boat out of the water after an afternoon of cruising... Is this normal or are my clean out plugs leaking and need to be rebuilt.
@ysidive as advised already, normal. I have a small Craftsman 18V shop vac that i use to vacuum any standing water out of the bilge and above the clean-out plug. It will stay dry until a hard rain or I remove it to clear weeds. Clean the "tube" it sits in once in a while - I use a scotch brite pad, and lubricate the gasket with a lubricant of your choice - I use Yamaha Marine Grease others use a pool gasket lubricant. Both work well - the key is to keep sand, zebra mussel pieces etc off the gasket and off the tube and to keep that gasket lubricated. If storing for a longer period remove the plug. :cool:

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read a lot about winterizing - I don't think I have seen anything regarding the cleanout plugs as part of the process. Should I be pulling them, lubricating them and leaving them loose before I cover the boat for the winter?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I've read a lot about winterizing - I don't think I have seen anything regarding the cleanout plugs as part of the process. Should I be pulling them, lubricating them and leaving them loose before I cover the boat for the winter?
Yep, Spray them down with lube and let them hang out the back of the swim platform.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One way to keep the water from collecting on top of your clean out plugs is to get a couple of nerf footballs and stick one in each clean out port. Make sure you get one that fits snug. It also doubles as some fun on the water with tossing them around.

Scott

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
And definitely make sure you drain any water inside the plug

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes remove them whenever not using the boat for more than a week or so, and leave them on the platform. I spray mine with silicone lube every other week, but will probably cut back to monthly as they're still quite slick doing it bi-weekly. When you close her up for the winter, shake any excess water out, spray them with silicone lube or some other lube, and leave them out till spring right on the clean-out tray till spring.

I also spray all of my drain plugs regularly to keep the O-rings supple.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
And definitely make sure you drain any water inside the plug
@Crob83 an INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT STATEMENT....a friend said he laid both plugs sideways on his transom and when he looked in the Spring they were both shattered. I remove my plugs daily to clean-out weeds and you would not believe how much water is in that plastic plug housing AND you have to shake those little buggers to get all of the water out. SUPER tip @Crob83 !!!!! :cool: