• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Connext System Bypass

Robniemeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greetings Fellow Jet Boaters! I have a Yamaha 2017 AR240 and love the boat but I hate the Connext System. I do not like anything that is a Single Point of Failure on anything that I own. If my Connext system fails, Everything Fails and I am now Dead in the Water. Anyway, has anyone figured out how to get rid of this system and gone back to individual controls and displays yet? If my unit fails, I can not imagine have to pay another 2-3K on another unit that is set to fail in the future again. All I need is RPM, Bilge, speed, stereo, Engine Temps & no wake, all other things are nice to have. I have a separate Chart plotter and Depth sounder. I hate the Connext system and now the "Touch Screen" function is gone, so what will be next. I would love to be able to get off the Connext System completely and redesign my displays the way it used to be in my older 2006 yamaha jetboat, I would even settle for all Analog displays to get off of Connext. If anyone has done anything like this, PLEASE let me know before my Connext Fails. What is is Happening to Yamaha these Days?
Thank you in advance!
Sea Ya!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Your chart plotter should be bringing speed. You could use a NMEA2000 compatible stereo to run that through your chart plotter (if compatible).

RPM can be gathered by a NMEA2000 analog to digital converter, Bilge can be controlled by a switch (either physical or digital). Engine temps and no wake is where you may have issue.

Robniemeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, My Chart plotter and Sonar is NMEA 2000 compatible, but I am wondering if our Yamaha system can be hooked up to this system. I have been searching for a thread or site that has instruction if this is possible. Since you pointed this out in this thread, have you run your systems into your system or know of a thread showing this action? I would love to run everything possible through the Chart Plotter/Sonar if it is possible, I paid enough for the system and see that it has the capability, but the question is does our system in yamaha allow it.?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Quick answer… no.

Robniemeyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that a No to installing this yourself or No to yamaha's compatibility?
Thanks

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would be awesome if Yamaha allowed/enabled full NMEA interoperability and connectivity.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just upgraded my 2010 Yamaha 242 LS with w engines, ecms and the wiring harnesses from a 2017 at 240. So I’m certain that the wiring harnesses are backward compatible, the only difference I found is that the newer harness capped off the three leads that went to the no wake mode / cruise control switch and bridges these leads into a connector on the back of the connext display. That’s stated, if you can get port and starboard multi function gauges from a first gen 240 (2010 to 2014) you should be able to plug right into them and bypass connext entirely. You would still have to install a no wake / cruise control rocker switch. Keep in mind that these first gen gauges are expensive, probably hard for find and they also store the hours of the engines they are attached to.

good luck.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I should also mention, I still have and will sell the connext screen from the 2017 at 240. I want half of what Yamaha sports plaza or partzilla charges and it’s an as is sale. I only know that the display worked/turned on before it was salvaged out of the boat.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Remove the screen and put in some marine board with new gauges some simple wiring with after market parts can gate you all these features.

All I need is RPM, Bilge, speed, stereo, Engine Temps & no wake
The only one questionable is no wake it’s to slow anyway just use the throttle.

Rpm some type of gauges that read direct from a point on the motors
Stereo relocate the rear swim deck remote by the gauges it gets damaged in its current location, examples posted of how to do it on the site
Engine temps put sensors on the motor that give exact temperature
Bilge wired bilge switch
Speed new airmar with temp depth and speed with gauge
Voltage gauges
Switches for lights and bilge fan

for boats with ballast I sell two types of kits that can bypass the Connext screen for full manual control. Look up pump jumper cable

I hate touch screens, to distracting I would rather have analog switches for everything that can be switched on the boat.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should also mention, I still have and will sell the connext screen from the 2017 at 240. I want half of what Yamaha sports plaza or partzilla charges and it’s an as is sale. I only know that the display worked/turned on before it was salvaged out of the boat.
Ronnie I’ll give you $500 for that connext screen

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie I’ll give you $500 for that connext screen
Marvin, thanks for the offer but im going to reject and counter with $1,000
(Including the cover and control wheel). Why? Several reasons in no particular order:
1. Yamaha wants $2,100 for a new one and they may not have it in stock.
2. the tachometers / multi function gauges for my boat are no longer available so if mine fail I will have a hard time finding replacements. That said, I would try to convert to the connect system if I still have it and I can’t find the oem tachometers.
3. My tachometers have been in service for over 12 years and 500 hours, the connext system has only been in use for 5 years and 200 hours. This makes me think that my tachometers are likely to fail before the connext system will.

if I can’t get at least $1,000 (which is less than half of the new price for the display alone) plus actual shipping and packaging costs via pirate ship / UPS for the complete system I will just keep it around as a possible spare down the road/river.

Why “as is” no refunds? I’m just selling these parts under the same terms I bought them under, as a result or consequence I’m not asking for more than half of the new price.
EF0AD069-089D-48B9-A0F9-C84D70639DA7.png380149B2-D034-4B67-B0BC-752970961956.png