• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha diagnostic help

Ohio Yamaha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
After using our boat for about 45 minutes it was shut off. When i went to restart it the engine was hard starting, but eventually started and the check engine light went on. I immediately turned off the engines and checked for and obvious problem (checked oil, loose wiring). I restarted the engnes and the port engine wouldn't go above 1500 rpm. I check the diagnostice code on the screen and got 1_6_ . I believe its the thermoswitch. It's a disc the size of a dime with two wires which attaches to the engine block with 2 bolts. Before I start changing multiple parts, can someone tell me if this is correct? Could it be a thermostat? The Yamaha dealer can't look at it for 3 weeks. I'd hate to lose that much time on the water.
Thanks!

A thermo switch is typically something that opens or closes due to a temperature exceeding the parameters of the switch. Sounds like you are overheating and tripped that switch so technically it could be your thermostat. Where are you located?

Nice. I am in Chardon. You could do a continuity check of the 2 wires and compare it to the same 2 wires on the good engine to see if they are the same. That may tell you if the switch is bad.

thank you, great idea!

You can also swap the suspect part with the other side before you run out and purchase the part (and wait for it forever). If the problem moves with the part, you know you have located the issue.

Back