• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostics for Newer Boats

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did a mild search for diagnostic software for newer boats. I saw some discussion around the maptunerx with some error code capability. I also saw the YDS program for older boats, but I didn't see much for newer boats. Could @swatski or other forum veterans provide any additional information on the subject?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
YDS is apparently available for 2013 and newer boats, but is version 2. Version 1.33 which is readily available, will not work. Yamaha made it extremely difficult to obtain version 2, and it is also very expensive. To my knowledge, only certified Yamaha shops have access, and I have yet to see a version in the wild. There have been rumors of different purchase avenues over the years, but to my knowledge, no one outside of a legitimate Yamaha shop has obtained it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did a mild search for diagnostic software for newer boats. I saw some discussion around the maptunerx with some error code capability. I also saw the YDS program for older boats, but I didn't see much for newer boats. Could @swatski or other forum veterans provide any additional information on the subject?
I have MaptunerX which is very nice, I have used it twice (I think) to clear a pesky code.

Not 100% sure what it was one time, I think I turned the battery switches off too quickly, you are supposed to wait >20sec after the ignitions are off - I had an error code that I could not clear, there seemed to be nothing wrong with the boat (except the error code and alarm going off) and I was a LONG way from any dealer in the middle of a lake vacation. I reflashed the ECUs with the "backup" program and all was good.

The second time I'm pretty sure it was a legit overheat from running in circles pulling a tube and then turning the engines off immediately after I stopped (which is not a good idea - always best to high idle for few minutes after hard runs). It was on the same lake, the code was on after the boat was clearly working fine with normal operating temps, same procedure (w/backup file reflash) cleared the code and all was good.

I've had zero issues with the Maptuner X however one vulnerability is (I know it from previous Maptuner experience) - if there is any voltage interruption during reflash - the damn thing can freeze/brick, and that requires reloading software and reactivation of the Maptuner license. Not necessarily a big deal but it may be a hassle.
I simply make sure that when I am using the X, my connections to the battery are very secure and the maptuner does not slip and fall, or disconnect.

Hope this helps!
Oh, as far as reflash functionality - I love it when boating in places with premium (91+) available, saves a lot of gas (about 20% in my estimates) - extending the range!

--

dshscarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a CannDo Pro as I use to own a SeaDoo. It will also do Yamaha but to my knowledge, it is not working on 2019 Yamaha boats. They are supposedly working on an update. They did not provide me a time frame as when it will be available.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2018 SX195 and I was installing a usb outlet on the helm side right above the ignition switch for my phone. I removed the four screws that hold the panel for the ignition, blower, and bilge switches and there was a cable in there that has Diag tagged on it.

I recently purchased a Maptuner X and I’m running a stage 1 plus tune which interfaces with a cable connected to the ECU on the back wall of the engine compartment. When I got the Maptuner X there’s additional cable that comes with and I couldn’t figure out where it went to and or what it was for, because there was no where for it to plug into.

Sure enough there’s a cover on the end of the diagnostic cable I removed it and that additional cable that was provided when I bought the Maptuner x connected to it. The cable they provide is long enough for you to snake it down through the backside of the helm and it will come out if you reach under the front side of the helm under the starboard side bow cushion.

I plugged it in with the boat running in the water and the Maptuner X fired right up. I opened up the monitoring app I was able to see engine temperature, voltage, and two other numbers that I’m not familiar with but I think it’s barometric pressure and air temperature.

I literally just did this yesterday, so I don’t know if there’s any kind of other app for Maptuner X that provides more information? But I do know now that we can interface with it...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2018 SX195 and I was installing a usb outlet on the helm side right above the ignition switch for my phone. I removed the four screws that hold the panel for the ignition, blower, and bilge switches and there was a cable in there that has Diag tagged on it.

I recently purchased a Maptuner X and I’m running a stage 1 plus tune which interfaces with a cable connected to the ECU on the back wall of the engine compartment. When I got the Maptuner X there’s additional cable that comes with and I couldn’t figure out where it went to and or what it was for, because there was no where for it to plug into.

Sure enough there’s a cover on the end of the diagnostic cable I removed it and that additional cable that was provided when I bought the Maptuner x connected to it. The cable they provide is long enough for you to snake it down through the backside of the helm and it will come out if you reach under the front side of the helm under the starboard side bow cushion.

I plugged it in with the boat running in the water and the Maptuner X fired right up. I opened up the monitoring app I was able to see engine temperature, voltage, and two other numbers that I’m not familiar with but I think it’s barometric pressure and air temperature.

I literally just did this yesterday, so I don’t know if there’s any kind of other app for Maptuner X that provides more information? But I do know now that we can interface with it...
That's interesting. I don't think I have that additional cable, mine came with two - one is a "double" for reflashing the ECU and connecting to battery, the other for loading and programming w/ a laptop.

I did use my MaptunerX to clear pesky alarms a couple of times, saved the day.

--