• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha engine upgrade kit rumour from show

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
heard from dealer that rumour at show is there will be a sho kit to make it a svho. Not sure what that consists of or cost. When I here more I'll share. It is a rumour but came from owner of dealer that is at show!!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would be interested. Convincing the wife might be a challenge though. Thanks for the info. Here's to hoping!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it would not matter much unless it is mated to a new 160MM pump. . . . . .

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sure hope that wasn't a dealer trying to sell left over 192's at the show and using that as a sales pitch. If so that's pretty shady of that dealer and I would likely avoid dealing with them. Not saying it's not true as I have no info but if that came out it would be extremely costly.

sx998

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be an expensive kit. Intercooler, supercharger, pistons, injectors and labor.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know the Yamaha turbo kits are about $5000 for a snowmobile and that's for an engine that doesn't need new internals. Guessing maybe $7-8K per engine if it's true. The sled kits are only bumping up about 40hp. You can spend around 9K if you want a 400hp 1000cc sled engine upgrade.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No I just bought a 2016 and asked what I can do to get a bit more power out of it. Rumour at dealer show is Yamaha might have a kit coming out. I agree would be costly but still cheaper than updating to new boat. On the other side. It is still rumour not fact.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know the Yamaha turbo kits are about $5000 for a snowmobile and that's for an engine that doesn't need new internals. Guessing maybe $7-8K per engine if it's true. The sled kits are only bumping up about 40hp. You can spend around 9K if you want a 400hp 1000cc sled engine upgrade.
Yes xr and sx are already supercharged. So they just need upgrade. It's not like adding a full new turbo kit. But it will still be expensive. I would probable pay 3 or 4000 if it made a dramatic change. I got quoted 57000 to up grade to a 242ex. Canadian. Now that's an expensive upgrade. Lol. My 192ar has 10 hrs on it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you can score an SVHO intercooler, which we have been posting about for the last year, you are almost there as far as the motor. The pump itself is going to be several thousands, that is not going to be cost effective. Same with all the internals. No way I would do it.

I would get the intercooler and call it a day. The only other thing I would consider would be the V-Tech ECU reflash with Maptuner X. That is money well spend, in my opinion. And no mods required for stage 1 or 2 reflash other than running on premium octanes. Reflash back and forth in two minutes if 91-93 not available somewhere.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah this would be way more then a simple bolt on upgrade the major upgrades came in the form of upgrades to pistons (forged), bigger intercooler core, bigger boost from an improved supercharger impeller (boost wheel), 160mm impeller, pump/stater (over its predecessor 155mm variant), better engine cooling via additional cooling intake and duel bypass, and a intake grate to match. Just guessing $4000+ in parts and probably $1500-$2000 in labor in this instance probably better off to take the hit on the trade in and get a 195.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet if there is a kit, then its just the SVHO intercooler. You can't just make it a full out SVHO boat without pulling the engine apart.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes your probable right. Can't see Yamaha making a kit that opens the engine to put new Pistons in. I am going to wait to see if there is a kit and what it is. Then deside on it or just put a intercooler on and call it a day. It is end of season here so will probable wait till spring to do mods.

Dieselmore

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm... very interesting. Maybe I'll hold off for a little bit on the intercooler to see what this maybe. Did he give any hints to when such kit may potentially be released?