• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Extended Warranty Do I need?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
About to sign for our new 2020 195s next week. Just wondering if I should get the extended Warranty, or if it's not needed. Just wondering if these yamaha boats are really as dependable as people say. Only a $30 a month difference, but Is it useless?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For how many years? Unless catastrophic failure occurs you may come ahead without it. Note they tell you they will fix it, but now how quickly. Might take them 3-6 weeks to replace anything under warranty, so it's a big gamble. I vote no, but others likely disagree. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For how many years? Unless catastrophic failure occurs you may come ahead without it. Note they tell you they will fix it, but now how quickly. Might take them 3-6 weeks to replace anything under warranty, so it's a big gamble. I vote no, but others likely disagree. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.
They claim 5 year extended warranty. Assuming that's on top of the 1 year new warranty it comes with.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What was the price besides $30 a month ...i just bought a 19 i got 3 years included and they wanted $1000 for an extra 2 years

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They claim 5 year extended warranty. Assuming that's on top of the 1 year new warranty it comes with.
You sure it doesn’t come with 3 years for components and lifetime structure? That’s what the Yamaha website says. If so, I wouldn’t bother with the extending unless it is cheap. How long is your loan term? $30 a month on a 36 month maybe.....but not on a 180 month!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, I phrased my question poorly. What was the cost? $30/month, but for how many years? and, how long does it cover the boat?

Regards.

NJ-JetGuy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get them to throw in the three years for a total of 4. There is a special right now on left over 2019 boats.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What was the price besides $30 a month ...i just bought a 19 i got 3 years included and they wanted $1000 for an extra 2 years
They didn't tell me the total cost on extended. Just with 5 year extended warranty and gap insurance was $30 extra a month. Haven't bought the boat. Gotta wait till next Thursday.

You sure it doesn’t come with 3 years for components and lifetime structure? That’s what the Yamaha website says. If so, I wouldn’t bother with the extending unless it is cheap. How long is your loan term? $30 a month on a 36 month maybe.....but not on a 180 month!
He said one monthly price was with 1 year stock warranty, and the other price was with 5 year extended warranty and gap insurance.
Loan indeed is 180 months

Sorry, I phrased my question poorly. What was the cost? $30/month, but for how many years? and, how long does it cover the boat?

Regards.
Don't know total cost only know monthly difference which is $30. Salesman said its a 5 year extended. So I'm assuming that's 5 years on top the stock 1 for a total of 6 years. Loan term is 180.

Get them to throw in the three years for a total of 4. There is a special right now on left over 2019 boats.
We bought the brand new 195S. Only left over 2019 was the Sx190 we don't want that one.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$30 a month over 180 months is a total of $5,400. So about $1100 per year of warranty

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just really need to know how dependable are these boats. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is my first Jet Boat so I'm not familiar

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just really need to know how dependable are these boats. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is my first Jet Boat so I'm not familiar
For what is covered they are very dependable. So $5,400 is very high. Most of the trouble you are going to have is things being sucked into your pump and that won't be covered.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you like to throw money away, buy the extended warranty...

Dealers / manufacturers always push extended warranties..Do you think its because they lose money on them?! NO! They are big money makers...

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5400!?! I would definitely skip the warranty for that kind of coin. I would also push the dealer to explain why the warranty is only 1 year as opposed to the 3 year Yamaha advertises in the “specs” for a 2020 195S. Sounds like they are being a bit shady.....

These boats are very DIY friendly and not really prone to issues. Congrats on the new boat BTW!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Get price quote from another dealer. It is the end of the boating season the Steelers sorry dealers are going to sit on these boats until next spring you’re not gonna use it much this winter wait a little bit you’ll get a much better deal. Go to a boat show you’ll get the dealer prep thrown in and you’ll get a four year total warranty normally for free.
Short answer is no you do not need the warranty for that cost

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same boat as you a few years back (sorry--couldn't resist). Mechanically inclined, but never had a boat. Wife insisted on the YES, of course. So we got it.

Never used it once.

In fact, took the boat to the dealer for the 10 hour service and it has never been back there.

Too much time and effort to take it to the dealer and too much cost and hassle. I learned a) the boat engine really is almost exactly like a car engine, b) anything that is not is dirt simple, c) the fact that our boats have impellers on a direct drive shaft also simplifies things greatly (no transmission, no gears), and d) this forum can help you with just about anything. Folks here have pulled engines, played with impeller pitches--the lot.

Now, if you wind up losing an engine because something like the timing chain error of years ago, then the YES is worth it. Beyond that, I question its value. I certainly would not buy it again for these boats. Might do it with one of the e-series (where everything is fly-by-wire), but beyond that probably not. IMHO...

Last edited:

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you like to throw money away, buy the extended warranty...

Dealers / manufacturers always push extended warranties..Do you think its because they lose money on them?! NO! They are big money makers...
Exactly my reasoning for asking

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These boats are very DIY friendly and not really prone to issues. Congrats on the new boat BTW!
This is definitely what I need to hear. Coming from inboard/outboard I'm used to crawling in the bay to fix things

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got 3 yrs of extended warranty on mine. Bought May 2017, runs out May 2020. Maybe that's not extended, but it was 3yrs coverage.

It's been to the dealership once in the first 125hrs I've put on it. That was for the 10hr service. Did the 70hr service myself at the beginning of the season. Will be doing the 100hr service myself as well. It's amazingly simple to do. The engine and driveline in these boats is remarkably simple, and can be serviced without special tools for the most part.

The warranty will help if there is catastrophic damage. Several have lost engines when the rear impeller bearing failed (2 that I can think of off hand). Couple folks lost engines to timing chain failures, but those were limited to "older" pre-2016 engines, the chains have been updated since then.

A bigger question is...."How mechanically inclined are you?" Do you have a medium-large socket set in the garage, jack and jackstands, some power tools sitting around? How much work do you do on your car? Change your own oil? If the starter fails on your car, will you replace it yourself or take it to a mechanic.......If you're even a little bit of a "car guy" then these boats will pose little to no problem to you. If you're the kinda guy that takes everything to a mechanic/shop to get addressed, then the warranty might be for you. No harm or foul in either direction, we each have our own inclinations, hobbies, free time, and budget allotments.

For me, as a deep seeded car guy with a monster tool collection..........The warranty has not paid for itself on the boat. It's been dead nuts reliable, with just a few issues here and there that I've been correcting myself along the way (cheese and rice the leaks on this boat are infuriating).

My GM pickup on the other hand, bought a $1,500 warranty on it to cover through 125k miles. It's already paid for itself twice over with minor issues being very expensive fixes (A/C condensor, and touch screen have died). But that machine is SIGNIFICANTLY more complicated than my little AR190.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is definitely what I need to hear. Coming from inboard/outboard I'm used to crawling in the bay to fix things
Our previous boat was a Mercruiser sterndrive so I feel your pain (literally). I am pretty certain I have some scars from crawling around the engine bay of that boat.

As others have said, if you have any mechanical skill whatsoever you can find a tutorial on this forum and fix about anything on the boat. Remember that you have plenty of time warranty wise to deal with quality control issues that crop up in the first few years (like leaks). A lot of us on here, including me, have elected to fix qc issues ourselves using the forum for help instead of wasting time with the dealer.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
UP until this year I would have said don't go with an extended warranty. Fortunately for me Yamaha threw a 5 year extended warranty when I purchased my 2015 new. I've had 2 issues. This year they swapped out the Connext screen as it was delaminating. No hassle there as it was late winter and no missed boating time. Then the begining of August I was checking engine oil and found it milky on the port engine. Pulled the fill cap and it was covered in oil that looked like chocolate milk and was foamy. Drained and refilled the oil and filter on the lift 4 times til the oil ran clean. Took it for a quick test ride, put it on the lift, drained some oil and it was milky again.

Pulled the plugs and they looked fine which makes sense as the boat was running fine and no alarms sounded prior. Brought it to the dealer, they looked for obvious intrusion but finding none they pressurized the cylinder head and found a slight crack near one of the cylinder head bolts that was causing the water to get in. They sent pics to Yamaha and a week later they replied that they'd cover the work under warranty as it was a manufacturers defect. Took another week for the dealer to get the new cylinder head parts from Yamaha so all in all missed the month of August for boating this year.

So I no longer tell people that Yamaha engines are bulletproof. Hoping this was a one off fluke though I hold my breath now when checking the oil.