• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Fuel Economy

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the wife & kid's pass out in the truck on the drive home......... it was a good day.
post of the day here, sir. :thumbsup:

last summer was our best. Had a late night on our last ride.... had burgers on the boat, home around 930. quietly closing doors, my older son and I had the boat put away, and just the cooler to bring in, wife and younger son only woke up when i started the truck to pull in the garage.. i do not recall, nor do I care how much I spent on gas that day. :cool:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way most people boat they would probably never notice a difference, so it may not even be something you should consider. It might be worth consideration if you were talking about boats at opposite ends of the spectrum, but just going out sitting in a cove or beach doing a little watersports you aren't going to notice anything when it comes to fuel economy.

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How does mpg compare to a 4 stroke outboard say a 90 or 115 on a 19 or 20ft center console.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How does mpg compare to a 4 stroke outboard say a 90 or 115 on a 19 or 20ft center console.
Well, a 90 hp motor on a 19' boat will get better than twin 180hp motors on a 24'.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a bit hard to tell, I do not have a direct comparison, and fuel efficiency in boats is just crazy difficult to compare fairly as even a dirty hull will can cause huge amount of extra drag, not to mention conditions, speed, and boat attitude/trim etc etc.

That said, when I came into the Yamaha jet boating world - bought a new-ish 2012 SX190 - I also ran a 2-stroker 115hp rude 19ft starcraft open bow fish/ski boat at the same time, so that would be about as direct a comparison as I can offer.
My range was better in a Yamaha, running in various conditions on a river. I think the sx190 tank was 30gal and the starcraft was 25gal, and of course the 4-strokers would have some advantage there.

But, I think it is fair to say the difference between a 4-stroke O/B and a YJB of similar size would not be what you would see between an outboard and an older (Berkeley style pump) jet boat. The new (Yamaha) jet boats are really not bad as far as fuel efficiency.

EDIT: one more thing. What I find very "unsatisfying" about the 1.8 Yamahas, both single and twin, is that I can not really find a sweet spot in the engine's RPM range when just cruising... With any outboards I ever ran I could quickly find an RPM range that just "sounded" right, varied with the prop and conditions of course. I do not see this with the Yamaha and it kind of drives me crazy, but I'm also getting used to it.

--

Last edited:

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the great info and thats a pretty good comparison since you had them both. Yea the yamaha jet boat doesn't have the lower unit drag and can slip
through the water nice I bet. I would just use a 190 to run around to the island in the Ft.Myers area and not do any skiing. I do just a little fishing
off the back and maybe camp a little on Cayo Costa Island stuff like that. Pulling up to the beach is nice with the jet I bet.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just looked up my ls... 1.48 mpg

42 gallon tank Hmm,,, I could get to Bimini with a 10 mile reserve. :rolleyes:

spaceman2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just looked up my ls... 1.48 mpg

42 gallon tank Hmm,,, I could get to Bimini with a 10 mile reserve. :rolleyes:
If the wind and Gulf Stream is not moving to fast:)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the wind and Gulf Stream is not moving to fast:)
Bimini trip in a 190 on one tank (one way) is doable under the right conditions, we have done it in 2016 in a sx190, we had fair (but not great) conditions.

--

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
2016 242 limited E-series
Best cruise speed 5500 rpm 30 MPH 10.6 GPH 2.83MPG