• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha GPS speedometer broken

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The speedometer on my boat read zero last time I was out. I know the GPS pickup is the white puck in front of the helm. Is there any troubleshooting I can do?

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update: The speedometer works about 50% of the time. I think the problem is either with the GPS receiver (white puck in front of the helm) or the speedometer itself. I think it would be easier to replace the GPS receiver first. The model number is GM-88k and I have found them on eBay for $160. It says it is for a Ranger boat, but looks identical and has the same connector.

The unit has several programmable parameters including baud rate. I wonder if the unit will not be configured properly for the Yamaha. No returns and I would hate to be out the $160.

Anyone have any experience with this?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your connections first. That wire with which it is attached is *extremely* thin. Something like 30 ga or so. If you caught it putting something into the helm compartment or yanked on it, you might have broken the conductors just enough to be getting an intermittent signal. Check the insulation and see if you have any marks or gashes.

Edited to add: I think I have some pics here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/installation-of-dsc-vhf-radio-to-the-stock-gps-antenna.518/

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you find somebody near you who has installed perfect pass. they may have a spare speedometer for you test with or sell to you.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I went out this weekend re-seated the plug and pushed all the wires in. It worked 90% of he time. I think it is a bad connection. I am going to support the wire and harness better and see if that helps.

Sacamano

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I supported the wire with tie straps and that has fixed the problem so far.