• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Impellers on backorder for 2 mos!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought a 2017 Yamaha 242XE with 85 hours on the engines and noticed that something didn't sound right when I put it in neutral. I brought it to my local Yamaha dealership (Texas Marine in Conroe) and they tell me it needs new impellers and housings, and of course, the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

This was at the end of June/beginning of July and the parts have been on order since then with an expected in stock date of 8/5. I just found out today (8/5) that they have now pushed back the date to 8/30! This is completely unacceptable in my opinion and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.

It blows my mind that I'm getting this kind of product support (or lack thereof) from a company like Yamaha and I am furious. Chrysler did this to me in 2012 and I have made a point of not buying another Chrysler product since then. I have a good mind to trade this boat in for a prop drive wake boarding/surf boat and write off Yamaha for good if they don't find me a better solution soon.

Again, any suggestions of recourse with Yamaha or tips on possible aftermarket products would be appreciated.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SBT will ship impellers to you before you ship them if they have them in stock. Worth considering.
Also, How bad were the impellers? You can probably take a file to them and keep the boat working at a less than perfect max speed until the new ones arrive. Unless it totally self destructed, generally it's an optimal/good enough situation... something like driving with only 3/32 left, or a tire slightly out of balance...It's not ideal, but you don't stay home when it happens.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'd sell it

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, that seems a little harsh. Hey, I'm in Houston too, just noticed... Seems odd for a little noise they want to replace both the impellers and the liners... Did you look at them yourself? How much are they charging you for labor? I can charge in Rum Hours while I show you how to do it :)

Best of Luck. It's a nice boat to be stuck on shore due to a parts shortage for a part you may not even need.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys. The boat is still usable and the dealership tells me I'm not doing any further damage by doing so, but it just sounds like fingernails on a chalk board to me. It also turns out I was wrong. After discussing with the service rep afurther, I found that the part on back order is actually the housing, not the impellers.
Again, I appreciate the suggestions and the offer to help me work on it myself but I guess I'd rather pay the dealership to do it so I know it's being done right the first time. I am not the most mechanically inclined dude and I also have an aversion to sweating my ass off in this God foresaken Houston humidity.
I'll check with SBT to see if they carry the housing and I guess I'll just wait until the parts come in if they don't.
Thanks!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lets see some pictures of the housing if you can.......

My impellers wore out early also so I blue printed the intake tunnels, added l13 cones and I am running 190 impellers now. More hole shot and More top end. It is fantastic.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, for there to be sounds due to the liner, it means the liner is high, and thus can be honed/polished back to size.

The dealer may be well trained, but he has his own interest too. Our feuditiary responsibility is only to you. :)

Best of luck!

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, for there to be sounds due to the liner, it means the liner is high, and thus can be honed/polished back to size.
I wonder if this was/is the issue? Slight bulge in the liner causing the noise? Thought I remembered hearing something about that in 14-18's..