• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Jetboat Help Needed

Tianying Shi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello,

I am new to boating and I am considering to buy a 24 ft Yamaha jet boat. It will be used on the gulf of mexico in Sarasota, FL. Many people told me that Yamaha is a lake boat and I cannot use it on the Gulf. Then some other people told me to get a Yamaha center console. Aren't the center console boat share the same hull? I need some education here. Thanks.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How far offshore do you want to use it? 3ft chop you need a big boat no matter what propulsion type.

Performance will be comparable to boats of similar size and weight. 26ft cat with twin engine will handle gulf better frequently.

Can you go out in good weather? Sure.

Patae

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We are in the gulf every weekend with our 190 fsh. Beachbummer is right on about the 3ft chop. Not sure how the 210 fsh takes the 3 footers but I assume a little better but not much We love ours out on the flats and some close reefs (waves permitting). I'm sure that if and when they come out with a 23-24' fsh that we will get one .

Last edited:

Tianying Shi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the information. Is it safe to say that Yamaha 210FSH will be very similar to Yamaha AR210. I like the AR210 style much better than the FSH. Did I miss anything about the center console? By the way, I am not into fishing (yet). The furthest I want to go is probably Ana Maria.
Thanks a lot for the information. It really helps.

Tianying Shi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why are people always telling me that Yamaha is a lake boat? What is lake boat and what is an ocean boat anyway? size?

BocaBoatn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
why are people always telling me that Yamaha is a lake boat? What is lake boat and what is an ocean boat anyway? size?
I live around Boca Grande just south of you and boaters in the area are kinda stuck in their ways. Most of the people you talk to that live on the coast stick their nose up to anything that isn’t an outboard. I guess they just like to stay to what they know. We have a fsh 190 sport and only use it in saltwater. As for which type of Yamaha... that’s all about your preference. The largest difference to me about the fsh and other styles is driving position. In choppy waters like we have standing is much more comfortable than sitting down in a seat. My suggestion is set up a demo at a dealer to experience the differences.

Darren Delgado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone have issues with throttles backing down while cruising? I have a 2018 212 Limited S...Took to the dealer two times to have them check throttles...First time they forgot after my service...Second time they didnt water test and the throttles continue to back down while cruising....Also, my port side engine runs about 7700 rpm and starboard 7450....I have concluded first off that the one dealer is horrible and will never take it there again...The only two dealers are 1.5 hours to the north or 1.2 hours to the southwest away...So, I will try the other one.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Tianying Shi I have a SX240 in Tampa and only use it in salt water. I've been to the Gulf as well, even went from the Bay to the Gulf yesterday. Salt is not an issue, just have to keep up with the post-use maintenance.

@Darren Delgado no issue with the throttle back down while cruising, it sticks. I usually set it around 5700 rpms (31 ish mph) and throttle with the wake cruise buttons.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I may be dating myself but many years ago a pontoon boat was considered only a lake boat now you see them everywhere especially if they have triple toons and large outboards. As to jet boats I use mine only in salt water and I find it a lot more fun then previous pontoon boat. It is faster, goes in shallow waters but does have a learning curve especially if you are use to props. I think folks say the jet boat is a lake boat because of potential of growing barnacles on the drives if left in the saltwater however I would also think this would be a concern with the invasive species now entering our lake waters.

As to wave size just be prudent and watch the weather as you cannot always runout a storm.[flag]

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a lake? Have their boats been here?

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did anyone else notice the Captain moving to the tune of Cheeseburger in Paradise. :)[flag]

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
8 months pregnant wife???? Did the doctor ever hear about it?

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
8 months pregnant wife???? Did the doctor ever hear about it?
Yep Beachbummer my wife told her but of course she didn't recommend it. She did however contact a hospital in Ft. Lauderdale if she did go into labor since we found out that the only doctor on the island was on vacation. She was a trooper though even thru the rough crossing that lasted 6 hours and ran out of gas. We had a blast once we got there though.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! I congratulate your bravery!!!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that from Bimmi 2015??? That was so much fun. People still can't believe I took my boat there with a 3 year old and a 8 mos pregnant wife.
That video is the return in 2016. The other video I posted has some 2015 footage.

I still can’t believe your wife crossed 8 months pregnant!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Take a look at the bow of what most would consider an offshore boat. The bow is usually much larger than most "lake boats" to the point that it has less of chance of taking on water over the boat. Either by a much taller freeboard, or by having an enclosed bow. Or just plain having more mass up front to handle waves.

Watch a few episodes of the boats passing through the Haulover inlet on ZipZapPower's YouTube channel. You will see the difference very quickly in how an offshore boat handles the rollers in the inlet over a Yamaha or other "lake boats" The worst is when you see a pontoon roll through the inlet. They are just asking for trouble.

That being said, the folks we share our lake home with have a tritoon, and it handles waves much better. But it's still not hard to overload that bow with people and sub the front in any decent waves. It's a lake boat, don't fool yourselves.

Can/should/could are the fine lines.

Actually, watch the Yamaha go through at the 1:13 mark and it will be obvious that it cannot handle waves like the offshore boats.

Last edited:

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That video is the return in 2016. The other video I posted has some 2015 footage.

I still can’t believe your wife crossed 8 months pregnant!
I know she is crazy but wanted to go. We are thinking about going next year. We were just wanting for our little guy to turn 3 so we could all go.