• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha jets in salt water

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
25 years growing up on Clearwater Beach outside Tampa before moving to GA. I have to agree with @Murf'n'surf, the year round boating sure is worth it. We have had outboards, jet boats and a number of jet skis (several over 10 years) and as many have said, they hold up very well if you put in the time and effort after every day of boating to flush well and rinse/wipe all your metal. Another note, I used a good silicone spray on all metal before going out after as well to protect between uses because If you are close to the water you will have some corrosion.
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this...an old sea dog sailor that lived next to us taught me and swore by it and I have done it since I was a teen... I use a siphon between hose and flush attachment and use about 3/4 to 1 ounce of Dawn dish soap as I flush the engine and it really cleans out the engine...besides the bubble blower out the jet pump is amusing. Then I flush clean water for a few at the end. It's a very cheap alternative to salt away chemicals. The Galvanized trailer is a better choice over the painted one from yamaha.
As for the temps down there... thats a personal tolerance that does build over time... I just came back from Fort Myers / Punta Gorda area this weekend to check on our Marine Trader Trawler and it was very pleasant... it won't feel any where that good come July and August, but I miss the heat and lack of winter!

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

Jet boat noobie here. I need your help. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2017 AR195 that has seen about 35 hours of saltwater by the original owner and then about 70 hours in freshwater only. I saw the boat yesterday and also went for a ride. The boat looks great and I am wondering if you could share some images of what I should expect for "normal" saltwater signs if any. I did notice some signs of corrosion on some of the handles and 1 of the cupholders. I am more interested in what the jet output area should look like from minimal saltwater. Please excuse any improper terminology. I also saw some small signs of rust or that orange color on the cleats and the rod that connects to the impeller cover? Any help on this topic is much appreciated. I will upload some pics if I can.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is my 2017 previous owner left it a few weekends in the water. It had some white oxidation that I removed with a scotch brite pad the Zinz anode has some minor pitting . I wash it after every time out My older 2005 spent its life in mostly salt and they need a periodic scrubbing

2005 after being cleaned up in 2018

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

Jet boat noobie here. I need your help. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2017 AR195 that has seen about 35 hours of saltwater by the original owner and then about 70 hours in freshwater only. I saw the boat yesterday and also went for a ride. The boat looks great and I am wondering if you could share some images of what I should expect for "normal" saltwater signs if any. I did notice some signs of corrosion on some of the handles and 1 of the cupholders. I am more interested in what the jet output area should look like from minimal saltwater. Please excuse any improper terminology. I also saw some small signs of rust or that orange color on the cleats and the rod that connects to the impeller cover? Any help on this topic is much appreciated. I will upload some pics if I can.
Take a look under the motor and to the sides. Look for rust and discoloration or water lines. Salt water will usually start the corrosion on the exhaust hose clamps under the swim deck....take a look back there if you can. Running IN salt isn't that big of a deal but a boat that has been submerged in salt water can be a little more problematic.

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fantastic info guys. I really appreciate it. I just talked with another guy that has a 2017 AR190 for sale that is pretty mint! I am going to take a look at it later today. This boat has only been in freshwater and has about half the hours. I am leaning towards that one if it is truly mint. Am I going to be disappointed in the handling of the 190 vs the 195? It is just my wife and I and the occasional 2-3 friends. I am not a speed demon anymore(I have a R6 for that!). I just want to know if it can actually handle someone wakeboarding.??

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys question; not to hijack the thread but it's along the same lines. I usually get no one to reply me in the 21 ft boat section so I figured i'd ask here haha. I been using CRC instant Galvanize zinc spray on all my trailer and boat metal parts to prevent corrosion. The underside of the intake grate is all grayish and covered in zinc spray. Anyone ever use that? I REALLY hope I am not actually doing any damage or changing galvanic corrosion chemistry by using that stuff. The benefit of instant galvanize spray is that it sticks to the metal and doesn't come off like Yamalube coating. I covered my trailer leaf springs and fasteners too. Anyone have experience with using this stuff? This is the stuff I am talking about :-

CRC Instant Galvanize

Bouda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone, i have a yamaha sx 190 2017 year .. i am the first on salt water in spain. there are no elevators here and there is only a crane in the dock and towing a boat after every day is expensive (140 us) I leave here I come once a month or two and I need to stay on the water. is it really a real problem if I then use advisory salt preparations? and what about that antifouling coating, it's not very nice to use a high pressure wash after a month. thanks a lot for the opinions of Petr

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Bouda I'd say that you are in a difficult position. Even if you were to bottom paint, you will get corrosion on the jet drive and components. Plus those drain plugs don't usually do well long term for keeping water out. Any type of jet boat dock or lift is better, in my opinion than bottom painting and then dealing with corrosion of components. Can you keep it on the trailer at the marina location when not in use?

Bouda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the info, it bore me directly about corrosion but about the race and the coating for a longer period of 3-4 weeks. Today, after about a week, I rode in waves for about two hours and everything was beautifully cleaned, I would also rather not use antifouling. I ask about the experience with you in the USA, I had a yamaha for a long time and I had no problem at all, even though it was on salt water for two weeks, I rinsed and then everything. As I wrote expensive pulling a crane is the problem. Thank you for your experience Petr