• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Yamaha Model Years to avoid?

arehs9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking of getting a Yamaha jet boat. I was thinking of getting a better pontoon, as my lake is rather shallow and I like the space, but then I came across Yamaha jet boats and they seem perfect for what I want (lots of room, much better than a pontoon for water sports, can deal with a shallow lake, etc). I’m probably gonna wait till the off-season, but I was curious if there is certain model years to Avoid, or is there a certain year when they really improved? Ex. Like 2011+ are much better than previous or something along those lines.

thanks for any insight!

Also curious if anyone has gone from a pontoon to a jet boat, and what were your thoughts?

The only advice I think would be to get a test drive in the boat(s) you are considering and reading up on each years model on this forum and others. Besides sizes, twin engine or single, stylings, seat layout, bimini-tower and dash gadgetry they're all the same pretty much . The biggest changes have been the Motors and I think the gadgetry at the dash as now its a more graphic interface.

I have a basic 2017 19' which is a single motor, 4 stroke, naturally aspirated 1800 cc (1.8 ltr). This 1.8 ltr motor can also be found on some Yamahas with a SuperCharger. Additionally the older Yamahas came with a motor designated as the MR -1 and going back even further the Yamahas were outfitted with Two-Stroke motors. They are all good motors but the key will be the condition they were maintained in.

Get a test drive and really go through the boat before buying. Pay special attention to the engine compartment and don't be afraid to use the video and record what you cant see down there in the engine bay...lots of nastiness can lurk there.

Good Luck!

The only advice I think would be to get a test drive in the boat(s) you are considering and reading up on each years model on this forum and others. Besides sizes, twin engine or single, stylings, seat layout, bimini-tower and dash gadgetry they're all the same pretty much . The biggest changes have been the Motors and I think the gadgetry at the dash as now its a more graphic interface.

I have a basic 2017 19' which is a single motor, 4 stroke, naturally aspirated 1800 cc (1.8 ltr). This 1.8 ltr motor can also be found on some Yamahas with a SuperCharger. Additionally the older Yamahas came with a motor designated as the MR -1 and going back even further the Yamahas were outfitted with Two-Stroke motors. They are all good motors but the key will be the condition they were maintained in.

Get a test drive and really go through the boat before buying. Pay special attention to the engine compartment and don't be afraid to use the video and record what you cant see down there in the engine bay...lots of nastiness can lurk there.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

17 and newer have an updated cam timing chain. There were some reports of failures not really high but some info to help you decide. It seemed to be more prevalent on the jet skis with the turbo. Could be attributed to more fluctuation in engine rpm and max rpm. The boats don’t get the same type of use. But look up timing chain failure its a very expensive repair.

Find a nice well taken care of boat and then search for that models known issues.

oil lines, oil cooler, water in ecu, timing chain, scupper, anchor locker drain, covid etc. are all known and well discussed.

What is your Thoughts on the switch?
Definitely a smoother ride and lots more room. Even with a 300 dont have the speed of the jet boat, when its windy its a little harder to control and little harder getting in and out. But over all glade i made the change.

Back