• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha production issues?

used boat prices going up ... for demand , quality , and parts .

Maybe...maybe not.

The boating season for the year is winding down in many parts of the country. In the Spring, we will have to see what the supply is and the demand.

Jim

when you go into shortage for this long .. IE people waiting for parts and new boats for almost 2 years .. ANY new completed models leaving any factory are going to get snatched up with a premium regardless if its 0 degrees in NY or anywhere else.. dealers will cancel orders are poor guys in these regions knowing they can ship to florida or any other place for much more $ . how does a dealer be straight with a customer who has a deposit from over 12 months ago .. answer is they wont .

example Mr Smith purchased 1 year ago a new 252 and left a 25% deposit .. boat still hasnt come in ... your the dealer and know if and when they unit arrives its worth much more than Mr smiths contract price .. you either call him and tell him pony up more , or lie and say the order was cancelled .

Used boat prices around here a coming down as well as more boats going up for sale. New boats that are being ordered are seeing more realistic fees from the two Yamaha Dealers in the area.

I don't disagree that NEW boats will consider to sell at a premium price.

I quoted you saying USED boat prices are going up and for this I answered maybe or maybe not. Just like @HangOutdoors, I too have been closely watching used prices and have seen a downward trend from the Covid price spikes. I'm hoping for another 10% drop between now and Spring, but have no idea if this will occur. It is very hard to guess what might be the demand for used boats next Spring.

Jim

I personally witnessed this at a yamaha dealer in end of June this summer on east coast ( wont name the dealer ) but here goes : I was driving with my wife and kids and was out of town when i noticed a yamaha dealer on the road we were on which had a few new models out front for display (il get into this in a few ) .. anyhow i decided to pull in to check them out there i ran into an old friend which was surprising he was the manager there and we began chatting .. they were just happening to be unwrapping a brand new 275! in red which by miracle just arrived , i asked wow how much is that thing going to fetch for ? he said the poor guy who was waiting for it we had to call him and tell him he has to pay 30 K over sticker ( which he agreed to buy it for ) or his order would be cancelled. huge growing waiting list was piling up . i was in shock .. then said what about the 25s out in front he said way over sticker ! thats why they are still there ! ... he did let me and the wife take a peek inside the new 275 with our shoes off of course ! .. its a beauty ! but the bow seating area is small ..like 19ft model small ! ... any how if this keeps up expect at least 50% of buyers to throw in the towel and just buy pre- owned !

Last edited:
I agree with @yam240sx. The supply chain issues are going to take a long time to smooth out. The price of entry for the new boats is so so high, I think that USED will still continue to have upward pressure. I see it as analogous to the USED car market.

Manufactures adjusting to mitigate supply chain risks will take a long time and I think that means conditions distorting the market will persist.

I think some folks are making the assumption that people have to have a boat, like a car. Sorry, but I just know if this is true. A car (even used) for most folks is a necessity while a boat, for most folks, is a luxury item.

I do expect that there will be high demand for new boats throughout 2022.

My own wild ass guess is that there will be a lower demand for used boats next Summer than we have seen the previous two Summers. I think some of the folks who got their boats so that had something to do with the family in a Covid environment, will decided to sell their boats to spend the money elsewhere, like on vacations. The $64,000 question is how many newer boaters decide to get out of boating? And, while I'm personally hopping for this to happen, to what degree it does, I have no idea.

Jim

I hope that the market corrects itself and works to your advantage when you pull the trigger. I concede your point on car vs boat and being more of a luxury item. I hadn’t really thought that through.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I have ran across a lot of new boat owners who realized that it isn't for them. With kids out of school for only a few months during the summer, there are places to go and things to do and boating every weekend doesn't fit in well post lockdown.....

I do have a crystal ball! Unfortunately, it is cloudy and cracked. :D

I honestly thought the prices of boats would drop in the Spring 2020, when we were early into the pandemic. But then, I would have never guessed that the Federal Gov't would pump so much money into the economy.

Jim

I honestly thought the prices of boats would drop in the Spring 2020, when we were early into the pandemic. But then, I would have never guessed that the Federal Gov't would pump so much money into the economy.

Jim

They did in March and April of 2020. That is when I bought mine. $42k OTD on a 2020 AR210, including prep, freight, coast guard package and taxes. I stumbled into it. Didn't know much about boat pricing, yamaha's, etc. and the dealer was uncertain if they were going to be open or even sell any boats. When I went to go pick it up and close in May, he told me he sold out of everything he had and has never seen demand like this before.

Another Yamaha dealer I called had a price a couple thousand higher and the Scarab, Bayliner and Chaparral where offering very good discounts and sales in March. Was awful close to be on a Bayliner Forum board :(

If I knew then what I know now, I probably would of bought the 212s or 240 that he also had big sales going on, but we weren't sure we would like boating as much as we did and figured it would be ok to upgrade in a year or two, which didn't turn out to be the case. With my daughter's medical bills and the budgeting we were doing $42k felt like an awful big number at the time on a non essential luxury item. Figured it would depreciate pretty good in the first year or so......

Last edited:

Jim
Agree on the money into the economy point.

Typically you see the prices are always trend higher in the springtime, lower in the fall to avoid storage, winterization costs, etc. Jump on that ‘15 AR 240!

You can see the prices getting lowered on the Yamaha's for sale around here.

(2) Facebook

I should sell my boat and jeep then join a pickleball league to keep busy. I make me laugh. Everyone says, "wow you have a 10 year old Jeep with only 28,000 miles" . What they don't know is they are some very hard miles . People still want to give me a few thousand less than I paid for it new 10 years ago. These markets are crazy.

Agree on the money into the economy point.

Typically you see the prices are always trend higher in the springtime, lower in the fall to avoid storage, winterization costs, etc. Jump on that ‘15 AR 240!

That is a nice AR240 for sale!

Alas, no boat buying until our new home that we having built is finished.

Jim

They did in March and April of 2020. That is when I bought mine. $42k OTD on a 2020 AR210, including prep, freight, coast guard package and taxes. I stumbled into it. Didn't know much about boat pricing, yamaha's, etc. and the dealer was uncertain if they were going to be open or even sell any boats. When I went to go pick it up and close in May, he told me he sold out of everything he had and has never seen demand like this before.

Another Yamaha dealer I called had a price a couple thousand higher and the Scarab, Bayliner and Chaparral where offering very good discounts and sales in March. Was awful close to be on a Bayliner Forum board :(

If I knew then what I know now, I probably would of bought the 212s or 240 that he also had big sales going on, but we weren't sure we would like boating as much as we did and figured it would be ok to upgrade in a year or two, which didn't turn out to be the case. With my daughter's medical bills and the budgeting we were doing $42k felt like an awful big number at the time on a non essential luxury item. Figured it would depreciate pretty good in the first year or so......
Yep I got super lucky as well. Bought my 2018 195 in April of 2020 for 30K with a mooring cover thrown in with 30 hours on it.

I think some folks are making the assumption that people have to have a boat, like a car. Sorry, but I just know if this is true. A car (even used) for most folks is a necessity while a boat, for most folks, is a luxury item.

I do expect that there will be high demand for new boats throughout 2022.

My own wild ass guess is that there will be a lower demand for used boats next Summer than we have seen the previous two Summers. I think some of the folks who got their boats so that had something to do with the family in a Covid environment, will decided to sell their boats to spend the money elsewhere, like on vacations. The $64,000 question is how many newer boaters decide to get out of boating? And, while I'm personally hopping for this to happen, to what degree it does, I have no idea.

Jim

I will agree with your assement, and also hang outdoors. I just bought a used 2012 Challenger to make sure we have a boat for next season. I will continue to shop, and plan on attending a fall boat show (this week) and the two winter shows here. I may still order a new one, or if still no incentives ill use the boat i just bought all next season and try again next year.

I was really surprised as each time i inquired about a used boat i was interested in, it seemed like 90% of the sellers bought this spring or last summer. I worked out a fair deal on the one i bought from an owner that bought 5 years ago, so he wasnt asking stupid money…..

So I do think the used market is starting to soften (boats are staying up on marketplace longer, and in a lot of cases prices are reduced before they eventually sell), and it is clear to me that some of those “had never owned a boat before” buyers from this year and last are selling off as they probably didnt use it as much as they thought, OR didn’t enjoy boating as much as they thought.

Back